Just to show my User Name is Apt!

PullThePin

Reaction score
2003 vertical escape 800 twin + cheap polaris ingenuity regarding a broken water pump belt that also drives the oil pumps

=

Attachments

• SNC00053.jpg
    SNC00053.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 27

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep. what a terrible design. been like that for a long time too. i would always make my friends replace it every time we had to pull off that cover no matter what.

PullThePin

Reaction score
Why not premix then??

Have been thinking about that. Problem is it oils the outside crank bearings with the oil pump direct through spiggots in the crankcase. I'm thinking fix and sell. Lol.

I need to rig up a "waterpumpbeltstillgoodornot" sensor. If I can I will patent it and give them away for free to all other Twin 800 pol. owners.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Have been thinking about that. Problem is it oils the outside crank bearings with the oil pump direct through spiggots in the crankcase. I'm thinking fix and sell. Lol.

I need to rig up a "waterpumpbeltstillgoodornot" sensor. If I can I will patent it and give them away for free to all other Twin 800 pol. owners.

I could help with that, small pressure switch with a dummy light would be pretty simple. Its my specialty.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I could help with that, small pressure switch with a dummy light would be pretty simple. Its my specialty.

Whats your specialty??????

pressure switches, dummy lights or pretty simple things?????????????:d

PullThePin

Reaction score

That's a great idea. Wheels are turnin. Gonna rig this up before my crank gets back. Hmm. Oil pressure gauge, water pressure gauge, water temp gauge towards the cooler.......Hmmm.

Any suggestions?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

are the outer bearings sealed on both sides (creating a small cavity)? If so, could you just fill the cavity with oil and put a breather on the oil pump tube?

This is exactly what we do with our ski doo's. Central bearings are sealed outside but open between them creating a small cavity that you just fill with oil, then plug hose and remove oil injection. Premix and ride.

PullThePin

Reaction score
are the outer bearings sealed on both sides (creating a small cavity)? If so, could you just fill the cavity with oil and put a breather on the oil pump tube?

This is exactly what we do with our ski doo's. Central bearings are sealed outside but open between them creating a small cavity that you just fill with oil, then plug hose and remove oil injection. Premix and ride.

There are 2 outer bearings on either side with a slight cavity between where the oil goes in. Check valve on either side. inside bearings get oil the old fashioned way.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Run the overflow hose off the coolant bottle out over the footwell so it sprays coolant all over your boot when it overheats after the belt breaks. Go ahead and laugh, but it works. Saved my '97 700 twice after broken belts.:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt also runs the water pump. Wouldn't be able to eliminate the belt, but would save the bearings I guess.

Yeah, figured you won't be able to eliminate the belt completely, but at least save the bearings.

And if you install a temp gauge...you'll save yourself a burning wet foot. :D

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, figured you won't be able to eliminate the belt completely, but at least save the bearings.

And if you install a temp gauge...you'll save yourself a burning wet foot. :D

You might not see that gauge in time but that burning wet foot definately gets your attention! :eek:

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
how much pressure in a cooling system when the engine is hot but no flow, how much in the oil line, setup would be pretty easy. i would say best to go into coolant line and set switch for around 2psi falling, find a place where u can get 12v, mabey right off headlight power. run wiring through contacts on the switch so they close on low pressure. install the light on your bars or somewhere that it would grab your attention. i dont own a polaris so i cant try it to see if it would work. i just remember my buddies 04 800 blowing a belt once but he caught it in time.

Top Bottom