Just picked up a sled... Hope she's as good a deal as I thought

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I went against what I think is the proper way to buy used and that is to give it a good test ride! Anyone have much experience with 06 m7's with the engine tech big bore? It's got the twin jaws pipes, boondocker controller and sure sounds like it screams! What things should I be doing to it before the winter arrives (like replacing the diamond drive oil, how do I tell if the updated bearing was installed?). It's got 1300 miles, should I do a top end to be on the safe side? The seller bought it built up and got the clutches properly setup and swapped tracks, he had it two years, barely used it and is unsure on the mileage on the big bore but doesn't thing it was done new as the cylinders still show a nice crosshatch... It seems like a good sled overall, I'm just super antsy to go pull some catwalks!! This is my first real mountain worthy sled and am super stoked for the upcoming season, more riding buddy's would be greatly appreciated as well.

CatMan16

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shoud be a great sled. Just make sure you run high enough octane fuel for that motor. I bought some parts from a guy that had that setup on his m7 and he ended up parting it out after it detonated on him. He said it made a lot of power though. I wouldn't think that it would need any motor work with that low of mileage unless it has been really abused and has low compression. The diamond drive bearings were more of an issue in the m8 but if you have time it doesn't hurt to check them over.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great sled! As stated above, make sure your running the right fuel mixture for that big bore and head. Also I would take a good look at the steering post. They have a tendency to break at the first connection under the guard. Unfortunately I have had to pull numerous M chassis cats out of the mountains due to a busted post. They are easy to reinforce so they won't break. Just the matter of pulling the post and doing some afro engineering welding.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never hurts to give the clutches and power valves a good cleaning and a check over before you take er out.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diamond drive oil should be changed for sure, especially if you are putting a little extra power to the track.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sleeper I had this exact setup, an 06 M7 chassis with the 900 ET in it with Jaws twins on it. That's the sled in my avatar. What heads are on it? What fuel controller are you running? Is there a fuel pressure regulator on it? The bearings on the M7's DD's were fine, maybe just change the oil for peace of mind. These motors need a lot of fuel through the midrange and I had to install a fuel pressure regulator (put the OVS one on it) in order to make this combination work with a Pure Logic controller. What track is on your sled and is the clutching stock?

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How did your setup run frock? Was it fairly reliable? How many kms did you run it with the bb?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It ran strong once I got the fueling and clutching figured out. Don't know km, but I ran it for 4 seasons and it never left me in the mountains :)

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing that you're in edmonton it would be well worth a little bit of money to run it out to Deano at mad motorsports and have him go through it for you. He'll make sure it's set-up pretty good so you don't have any issues and is very reasonable with his prices. And his customer support is second to none.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's got the pump gas head (i would think since the guy said it runs on 91) and has a boondocker controller, digitron to monitor rpm and egt's in both pipes. I'm not sure about a fuel pressure regulator I don't think so. Has an intake as well (I think timber sled) with twin pod air filters, powder claw track with 300ish miles on it, fox floats (were they stock?). Has big wheels with the outers deleted, running board inserts, boss seat, stock skis. I don't know the exact details on the clutching, just that theres some really shiny parts to the secondary and that he had em redone last year and changed the setup completely to make it all work. The hood is also very nicely vented and definitely a custom job using some plastic edging and metal screen over drilled holes, it looks pretty sharp actually!.... Oh it came with nitrous that isn't setup too 😀

I guess he wanted to buy his dads turbo 340 hp yami and his wife felt this one was too beastly for her.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had much the same setup as you sleeper. As others have said on here, it may be wise to add a little av or race gas to each tank. Mine was pump gas as well with some mild porting, but I ran a little just for comfort cause you never know how good the fuel is at the pump.
I had a STM 10.4 secondary with a straight 36 helix and purple spring. The primary was stock with Dalton adjustable weights set at 73 grams and a gold AC spring. This combination worked well for me once I figured out the fuelling. I ride at 3-6000 ft.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to run without the fuel pressure regulator and couldn't get it to work well all the way across the rpm range using the Pure Logic controller. You may be fine with the BD controller though.

Top Bottom