Just bought 08 summit xp

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought an 08 summit xp with an 154 inch track. Use to have a polaris dragon 800 with 163 inch track. How do you think they'll stack up. I ll be lucky to make the mountains once but it's one of those things at least when buddies go I can to. Just curious your opinions. Thanks

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cross your fingers that you didn't buy a ticking time-bomb. Mind you, your Dragon was a ticking time-bomb too. Neither of the two engines are known for reliability. However, if the engine holds together, you made the right move. The only thing you are going to miss from the polaris is the suspension. XP's ride like a stone boat, but when you squeeze the throttle you'll like the Doo engine. That is my personal experience.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will be fine! I had an o7 with an o8 engine that went to 5000 miles. Loved the sled. Most of these 08's have had the updates so you should be good. The polaris on the other hand was doomed from the begining. still hear horror storys on that model.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run a 08 xp and have had no problems with the engine or the ride comfort,i have re-built the clutch but that was the only work so far,in our group there is 2 polaris and the xp will out perform them in the pow,but that can also be the rider who can make the difference.know adays it is more of personal preference,what feels good to you.if I was you I would have no worries about the xp

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know plenty of ptek motors with high miles my self included had one. They have good power and pull hard everywhere! The first ride will be a learning curve as an xp is a way different ride then your dragon!:beer:

Two Blue

Reaction score
I am still riding my 08Xp and all is great. good machine, however I have nothing to compare other than my 11etec....all Doo. enjoy your sled and hope that you get some great rides this year.

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the comments. The updates were done on the machine. I enjoy hearing the opinions sound like I should be good to go with this machine. Thanks

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a DJ cutch kit with ramps and the engine tech thermostat kit which that machine needs, let me know and I can enlighten you as to why.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate all the comments. The updates were done on the machine. I enjoy hearing the opinions sound like I should be good to go with this machine. Thanks
Its great to know that the updates were done to the machine because there were a lot of little things that had to be done to my friends o8 xp and hopefully you will not have to go thru that process. My experience is that it will out climb the dragon but not carve as well or ride as well. I had a 700 dragon at the same time as my friend had his xp and have rented an xp as well. Have fun!!!

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its great to know that the updates were done to the machine because there were a lot of little things that had to be done to my friends o8 xp and hopefully you will not have to go thru that process. My experience is that it will out climb the dragon but not carve as well or ride as well. I had a 700 dragon at the same time as my friend had his xp and have rented an xp as well. Have fun!!!

Loving my 08xp. Took two days to get used to the handling then gtg

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
First thing I would doo is pull the primary clutch and remove the PTO bearing cover, then the seal and check the iso-flex grease. Unless its been done, this is your #1 issue on any used 800R. After that I would check the rave valves by removing them and cleaning. New plugs, clean and inspect primary and secondary clutchès

Top Bottom