Just bought '05 Arctic 650 H1 LE *First time buyer

littleark

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so this is my first time purchasing an ATV, and it wasn't an offer i could give up. It may or may not have been smart, but maybe you can help me?

I purchased an '05 Arctic Cat 650 H1 LE.
Mint condition, no scratches, no nothing.

600km on it, and we know the guy. He does NOT abuse anything he has, its only been driven slowly around the yard (he's older, and loaded).

He is the first owner, and he services the ATV often, gets everything done from the dealer.

It runs new, nothing we could find was wrong with it. It honestly felt like it was brand-new.

The price he sold it for was $6000.

Nothing is wrong with the machine, tires hardly even worn out at all, basically brand new. Was this a good buy?

Also, how are Arctic Cats? main use is going to be around the farm, and some trails later on. Nothing too extreme right now.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. You can't get a brand new 650 of any brand for 6000 bucks. The AC is a bit on the rough and tough side for ride quality, but its definitely solid. For low speed work and trails you'll do just fine. Enjoy the new toy!

littleark

Reaction score
Sounds like a good deal. You can't get a brand new 650 of any brand for 6000 bucks. The AC is a bit on the rough and tough side for ride quality, but its definitely solid. For low speed work and trails you'll do just fine. Enjoy the new toy!

Ahhhh! thats why it felt different then the Outlander we had borrowed a year ago.

It felt a lot more stiff when turning, and not smooth but in a good way.

So i was just wondering then, what else should i know about Arctic Cats? Is it good that its on the rough and tough side, but solid? It'll definitely last longer if the build quality is a lot more solid right?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh! thats why it felt different then the Outlander we had borrowed a year ago.

It felt a lot more stiff when turning, and not smooth but in a good way.

So i was just wondering then, what else should i know about Arctic Cats? Is it good that its on the rough and tough side, but solid? It'll definitely last longer if the build quality is a lot more solid right?
You won't ever be on the side of a trail changing a belt. True locking front differential will get you through a lot of stuff. Good ground clearance for going over stuff.Not a speed demon but if you want it to go, with a few mods it will stand on it's tail all day long .The shocks have 5 different settings,for best handling 4 on rear 2 on front,smoother ride 3 on rear 1 on front.Keep max air pressure in your front tires to stop roll under and if you like fast trail riding put on a stock AC swaybar.If you like mud/water snorkel it(very easy).Get a good set of tires and get rid of the stock ones as soon as you can.I personaaly have had good luck with cats and find them to be a very reliable /competent machine. I have done a ton of mods to mine including suspension /clutching/exhaust and it really wakes these machines up.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doorfx pretty much covers it. The AC belt drive is best in the biz (has a wet clutch behind the primary I believe). Don't go too agressive on the tires if you are going to trail ride...I found the AC's will really grab the handlebars out of your hands and throw you when you run a real luggy mud tire (like an Outlaw)....otherwise, set up the suspension softish as Doorfx said and enjoy.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doorfx pretty much covers it. The AC belt drive is best in the biz (has a wet clutch behind the primary I believe). Don't go too agressive on the tires if you are going to trail ride...I found the AC's will really grab the handlebars out of your hands and throw you when you run a real luggy mud tire (like an Outlaw)....otherwise, set up the suspension softish as Doorfx said and enjoy.
yes ,wet clutch and that is another mod that really helps is 42# wet clutch springs.Raises your engagement rpm so they really launch.

littleark

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! The machine did "run" great.... until it broke...

No joke, the condition is mint, it is basically brand-new. However, i did nothing to it, and on the way driving it home it stalled, then it would not recognize the gears, and it was very hard to get into a gear to drive the rest of the way home.

The guy who we bought it from checked it out, and brang it to the shop on his truck. The shop opened it up, and it ended up being the bearing was completely gone. the spring on the bearing broke.

I was on it for 3kms to drive it home, and the bearing broke. Its been in the shop since friday, but its completely fixed. The guy at the shop joked with the previous owner, and said he abused it, that its like a dog all caged up and never petted it. He said that was abuse, and he did the same with the bike, he left it in his garage for over a year not really using it, and didn't ever "pet" it (take it out on a ride).

But he also did say it may have been faulty just from day 1.

Whatever the case was, the guy i bought it from felt really bad, and is splitting the cost of the repair 50/50. He's an honest guy and i took him up on the offer, he had nothing wrong with it and felt like crap once he saw what happened.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a couple friends in the Yukon that have the new 07+ kitty kats and they like them alot! I had a 1998 AC 454 4x4, and aside from a few simple problems, waterpump gasket, and brakes, and a rear wheel bearing that grenaded...it was a GREAT machine!! Put on over 5000 miles on that machine before I was forced to sell it.

Now I have a 1999 AC 500 4x4 once again (I like the old kitty kats because they are manual transmissions, I am not a fan of the CVT) and yes it is old tech but simple and inexpensive to fix.

Overall I have heard from my friends that they have had zero problems thus far with their kitty kats. Of course as most people on here will say, NO machine is perfect! You should be perfectly happy with your purchase!

KG777

Reaction score
Website
www.tradez.ca
You won't ever be on the side of a trail changing a belt. True locking front differential will get you through a lot of stuff. Good ground clearance for going over stuff.Not a speed demon but if you want it to go, with a few mods it will stand on it's tail all day long .The shocks have 5 different settings,for best handling 4 on rear 2 on front,smoother ride 3 on rear 1 on front.Keep max air pressure in your front tires to stop roll under and if you like fast trail riding put on a stock AC swaybar.If you like mud/water snorkel it(very easy).Get a good set of tires and get rid of the stock ones as soon as you can.I personaaly have had good luck with cats and find them to be a very reliable /competent machine. I have done a ton of mods to mine including suspension /clutching/exhaust and it really wakes these machines up.

Hey doorfx - i asked the shop (where i bought my 2006 arctic cat 650 h1) to put a snorkel on it and move the radiator up top. They said they can't find a kit for either from their supplier. Do you know where I could source both of these online?

Thanks in advance,

Kelly.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey doorfx - i asked the shop (where i bought my 2006 arctic cat 650 h1) to put a snorkel on it and move the radiator up top. They said they can't find a kit for either from their supplier. Do you know where I could source both of these online?

Thanks in advance,

Kelly.

Funny, I couldn't find an AC650 rad rolocation on the Wild Boar site, bit I did find a Wild Boar kit through this site: ATV Radiator Relocation Kits You may want to shop around for a beter deal and/or a Canadian supplier.

As for the snorkels, you can get them from this same site, but snorkels are something you may want to do yourself - you'll probably get something way better and cheeper if you build them yourself. Snorkel kits are usually just made of pre-cut components that you can buy at any hardware store. It just takes a bit of patience. Google them for examples and you-tube videos, taking you favorite ideas form each.

cjm

Reaction score
Check out Highlifters web site,or arcticchat.com. High lifter has a pinned section on top in the arctic cat headings. Tonns of great info on clutch mods, snorkels Etc. Snorkels on a cat are pretty straight foreard. If your handy, should only take a couple hours. The hardest part on the new ones is the belt exhaust, and yours ( I think) still has it on top of the clutch housing. Pretty easy. If you really want to wake it uo, put in a cut primary. CHeck out ///Airdam's website. I have a stage one primary sitting on my shelf if you are interested, let me know.
airdamclutches.com/.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree snorkel it yourself it is way cheaper. Check out Arcticchat.com and look in the pinned section there is a three hour read with pics on how to for snorkels. Take him up on ///1 it really helps. If you don't I will ! Another tuner that does excellent work and you can get a hold of is papa_slap he goes by PSC and it's papa_slap@yahoo.com.

Last edited:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think 6,000 maybe a little high for a quad that old.I bought a brand new 2010 Arctic Cat 700 H1 TRV with 2 years warranty for 8,400 last spring.
I am at my shop right now cleaning it up for the season now that sledding season is over for me.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya a little much I think as well. I bought a 2011 550 efi with power steering brand new with a year of warranty for $7200 cash with a 3000lb winch and a rear cargo box/ seat. Nice bike though, my dad had the same bike and never had a problem with it, well except when a mouse decided to make a nest right up against the rad one winter and it overheated the whole first ride in the spring. Figured it out at the end of the day....... LOL, can't blame the bike though, just the guy who stored it in an old shed on his buddies acerage for the winter......... duh

domecreek

Reaction score
Ya a little much I think as well. I bought a 2011 550 efi with power steering brand new with a year of warranty for $7200 cash with a 3000lb winch and a rear cargo box/ seat. Nice bike though, my dad had the same bike and never had a problem with it, well except when a mouse decided to make a nest right up against the rad one winter and it overheated the whole first ride in the spring. Figured it out at the end of the day....... LOL, can't blame the bike though, just the guy who stored it in an old shed on his buddies acerage for the winter......... duh[/QUOTe

Could you share where you got this deal - as I have been looking for a deal like this for my wife ???

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought mine at Dons Speed Parts, Ive been dealing with Dons for a few years now, always top quality service and some of the best prices around. Not sure if they have any non currents left as when I got mine they had like 1 or 2 left and that was in January

Ya a little much I think as well. I bought a 2011 550 efi with power steering brand new with a year of warranty for $7200 cash with a 3000lb winch and a rear cargo box/ seat. Nice bike though, my dad had the same bike and never had a problem with it, well except when a mouse decided to make a nest right up against the rad one winter and it overheated the whole first ride in the spring. Figured it out at the end of the day....... LOL, can't blame the bike though, just the guy who stored it in an old shed on his buddies acerage for the winter......... duh[/QUOTe

Could you share where you got this deal - as I have been looking for a deal like this for my wife ???

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When I bought mine Agro in Calgary had a bunch of leftovers,I contemplated a 2011 550 with powersteering for my wife but ended up spending a bit more and got her a two up...

Top Bottom