ISO Someone Electrically Competent With Vehicles

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Alright, so I had HID's installed in my truck ('06) about three years ago, at first it didn't bother me that the switch wouldn't work. This past summer I took my truck somewhere else to get the old HID's removed from the truck and possibility of the switch working again. When the headlights and the dash were taken off, was noticed that the previous guy had numerous "dead ends" everywhere. I should have honestly taken pictures it was nasty!

Now the switch partially works, but I only get dims on the daytime running lights, and brights will only work when the switch is turned to on (dims won't work with switch fully on).

Looking for someone in the around the Edmonton area with knowledge to get my truck back to stock headlights, so everything is functioning properly. This last kit that was installed was a plug in play type kit. What a nightmare this has been, haha. Also, looking for any recommendations on updating the headlights as the ones directly from dodge are brutal.

Any assistance would be great! One bonus is the truck is parked for the most part during the winters.
smile.gif

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say the old kit was plug and play? Not to much info on the old install. When those kits are installed the ballasts are wired to the battery and the headlight plugs are wired to a relay and a resister to trick the truck into thinking it has a good halogen bulb in it. There should have been zero wires cut or hacked to to the install.

If there are no factory wires cut the issue is most likely in the TIPM (total integrated power module) No fuses or relays for the headlight circuits. If the TIPM sees a fault in the headlight circuit somewhere it will shut that circuit down itself and then needs to be 'reset'. You best option is to take it in to a dodge dealership that has a good electrical tech.

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
The first set I can't fully remember, but they were beamers I had bought the HID conversion kit for the dodge. The current ones that were installed in the summer is a plug in play type system, and at first they couldn't get the lights to work at all so we thought it was the TIPM. But we were able to get them partially working and atleast the switch is a somewhat functional.

:) I wish there were no wires cut or hacked into, lol. I know I wouldn't have put my name to that install due to the sloppyness. Thanks for the advice. I'm not a huge fan of taking vehicles to dealerships unless under warranty, but I guess if i have to in order to get things back to where they need to be it might be my only option.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why was the dash taken out? Daytime running lights use the high beam circuit modulated at around 30%. So it sounds like you have high beams only. Did wires get re-connected in the dash? May also be a faulty drl module od the multi-function switch.

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
the second guy took it off just to see what the first guy had done to the switch as it was 'dead'. this is far over my head haha. I do have high beams when the switch is turned on, but no dims. I'm not 100% how its connected or what is connected, as it was a mess and i'm disappointed the first guy tempted the install if he wasn't sure. I wish I knew more and how to do it myself but I don't.So i'm looking for someone to fix it up that does know how :) as I know there are numerous people out there who are confident and are aware what to do. (I wish it wasn't a cluster or that I was even dealing with this issue) Could be a faulty drl module, but the first guy disabled the factory light switch to keep the lights on full time and with all the dead ends along with the mess he had left i'm guessing he cut wires n such.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go to your local auto wrecker and cut off the pigtail for your headlight switch leaving as much wire as possible to work with. Wire colors should match up and you can solder and shrink wrap all the connections.

Top Bottom