is there any downfall of running av gas in my dragon

jrdragon

Reaction score
Just wondering if running av fuel straight or mixing half 87 and half av can damage my sled? Av fuel is so much cheaper where I live and very accessible. Definitely more cost effective!

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your running EFI on your sled I would not recemended mixing your fuel , engine damage will be next , carberated motors you can mix the fuel

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what all is done to the sled? somedays I will through a liter or two in my stock etec and it works great has for over 4000 km's now. you definately dont wanna mix to much but should be ok if it is stock with a couple liters here anfd there

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from AV!! My uncle's brothers, cousin-in-law blew up a sled on AV one time. It was '70 Alpine, took the head clean off.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats funny......back in the 70-80's when our club never had a snow cat.....all was done with the twin track Alipnes (yes here in Sicamous) that is all that was run in our Alpines......straight 100LL av gas! never seen a head come clean off! lol are you sure your not mixing av gas up with Jet fuel? lol I still dont think jet fuel (I think kerosene) will run in a sled.....well it will run but will smoke like crazy and barely move.....I have seen a sled that was filled with diesel and it was ugly but it didnt blow a head off......please do explain how fuel can take a head clean off an engine!

Stay away from AV!! My uncle's brothers, cousin-in-law blew up a sled on AV one time. It was '70 Alpine, took the head clean off.

Thunder101

Reaction score
This is one stupid thread ! and just cant help myself from jumping in. If you need premium fuel and can only get 87 but have access to race gas, av 100ll or tolenene it will all turn you $hit 87 into premium PERIOD !! if you add 20% of 110 to 87 you would add 87x8 +110x2 div by 10=91.6
As for blowing the head off ,,,,, ether ? the higer the octane the less explosive it is, that is why 87 will deto in our newer sleds .

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your running EFI on your sled I would not recemended mixing your fuel , engine damage will be next , carberated motors you can mix the fuel
That all I run 50-50 in my sdi the one My wife beats you with remember that one troll LMAO

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's kidding. He and I get great laughs from the bi-yearly AV gas threads....he has run it in his 180+ hp DooDoo triple/triple for years and I've run it in every sled with 13:1 or more compression for the last 15 years as well. (and that would be about 7 sleds) every time a AV gas question comes up, we get to hear:
  • its for airplanes...only good above 10000 feet
  • it burns too slow for 2 stroke motors
  • 2 stroke oil won't mix in it
  • it's not a REAL 100 octane
  • it made my *insert sled here* blow up
Am I missing any DRD? LOL.

Ya..50/50 AV/premium is good fuel for up to 14:1...50/50 AV/reg is probably fine up to 13.5:1 or 14:1 at elevation.

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like it in my weed wacker, nothing like the smell of Av and Torco in the summer. I run it lean and mean, get an extra 150 RPM on the top end.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would running av gas in a 2006 M7 make it faster than a 2008 XP?
Yes. Yes it would. Hahaha

I really like it in my weed wacker, nothing like the smell of Av and Torco in the summer. I run it lean and mean, get an extra 150 RPM on the top end.
I've been burning up leftover 50/50 in my Lawnboy lawn mower for years for the same reason....mmmmmmm the smell! LOL (Not this year as I am sledless heathen)

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran 50/50 av for yrs. Worked fine. Been running renegade 112 25/75 this yr. Seems to make better power out of the race fuel. Depending on how much you need to mix. I found 25/75 vs 50/50 is close in price. About 60cents a liter cheaper for the avi mixture.

snowthing

Reaction score
i ran straight av gas in my old 2008 summit Xp 880 with a 13:1 head and didn't have a problem during the 3500km i owned the sled. and the sled is still running strong to this day.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please explain.
EFI Like on my M8 07 factory tuned for 87 octane the ECM collects input from sensors , detontnatoin - exshaust - coolant
when you up the octane the detontnation sensor does not put up a warning until its leaned out to the point of piston failure
Arctic Cat contacted me when my sled was 2 weeks old and told me not to run 91 or better octane in my machine
Factory EFI is on the rich side to begin with but with age and use fuel pressure may change going lower than brand new witch will cause a lean effect too my M8 pulls harder now than when it was brand new on 87 octane
I good buddy of mine has a 2010 800 Polaris mixed C11 with 91 octane 470 miles motor toasted and this year he riding 2011 800 Pro mixing fuel and its on its way to shop to get check out I know in a few days
sorry about the spelling

Top Bottom