Is there an age limit for riding a sled?

paver

Reaction score
Just purchased a Phantom sled for my 8 yr old. It is only 250cc and I have insured and registered it. I talked to several people before buying it and was told that in Ab. and B.C. there is no age limit for riding it. Went to Cataract Creek today and was told by someone there that you needed a Beginners Licence to operate the sled and that they had been stopped by the Rangers out there and had been prevented from allowing a ten yr old from operating a sled on their own. Just wondering if anyone knows the rules as different levels of govt give you different answers.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends on where you live. i've been riding sleds since i was 7,,, but again that was just around the farm.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that in Alberta anyone under 14 needs to be under direct supervision of parent or guardian. Not sure about B.C.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No age restrictions in B.C. yet. Here's the link to the "ATV act, Snowmobile Regulation".

Snowmobile Regulation

This is from the "Forest Service Road Use Regulation":

[h=4]Snowmobiles[/h]3 (1) Despite the requirements of sections 2 (c) and 12, a person is not required to hold a subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act or a valid and subsisting contract of third party liability insurance while operating a snowmobile on a forest service road in compliance with subsection (3).
(2) Subject to compliance with subsection (3) and with the Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act and the regulations under that Act, a person may operate a snowmobile on a forest service road.
(3) A person must not operate a snowmobile on a forest service road if it appears that the road has been snowplowed, or that the road is otherwise fit for travel by motor vehicles other than snowmobiles.
(4) Despite subsections (1) to (3), snowmobiles that operate on the Gold Rush Snowmobile Trail may use plowed forest service roads, subject to:
(a) the driver's licence and insurance provisions in this regulation for other motor vehicles,
(b) the implementation of the safety and risk management plan for the trail, and
(c) the use of a helmet by the driver and passengers of the snowmobile.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son was riding his own sled at the age of 7-8 in Kakwa. Never had a problem. Your best bet would be to contact Alberta Snowmobile Association and talk to them. They will know the answer for sure.

Rneddel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saw it was any younger than 14 you need a gaurdian and 14 or older your fine

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of grey here. Last year our group was stopped by an RC and a county mountie (both on brand new summits decked out to the nines with lights and the whole she-bang), just checking regs etc. The cop started giving me hard time for not having my DL with me. WTF? a minor can ride without one, why should I have mine with me? Needless to say I now have it with me on all rides. A cop having a bad day can ruin yours.

paver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.Traffic Safty Act says no licence required to operate an OHV on public land and if under 14 needs the supervision by someone 18 or older either on the OHV or in close proximity. Again thanks for all the info. I'm making a copy of the OHV Traffic Safty Act and keeping it with insurance and registration.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they should cut ya off at 65

hahahahha just poking my old friends!!!!!!

Top Bottom