Is the KTM XCW Muffler Forrestry Legal?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Just installed a new Gnarly pipe on my 250 XCW and didn't see any forrestry approved stamping on the stock muffler. Am I to assume they aren't approved, and if not, is the FMF Q the best muffler to use with that pipe or should I run the TurbineCore 2? :confused:

mat

Reaction score
The pipe has nothing to do with the forestry approved... It is the muffler that has a spark arrestor. The Q stealth is said to be an excellent unit... But I read that is really big...and not that quiet (most of the noise come from the air intake anyway) I have the turbinecore 2 on my bike with the KTM Powerparts made by FMF for pipe...I m please with the combination. I went trough the same dilemma last summer...The bulkiness of the Q and the difference/ $$ made me choose the turbinecore 2...

Last edited:

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I was asking about the muffler not the pipe, and know that a pipe itself isn't labeled in any way. I was referring to the muffler only, as I still have the stocker mounted up and it doesn't say that it's forestry approved as a spark arrester. If I need to change it out, I just want to know which muffler is best suited to the Gnarly pipe while remaining legal for forestry use. I'm not concerned how loud it is (i.e. 92db, 96db, 98db) as long as it has a stamp and doesn't rob any power.

Thanks for the tip on the "Q" though. I didn't know they were that large in size. What other power parts are you referring to from FMF? I know guys change out the pipes, mufflers and often rejet for the altitude, so I was wondering what you meant by power parts?

mat

Reaction score
There is no spark arrestor on the stock pipe...I don t think you should be worry about losing poweer after installing a gnarly pipe on a xc-w...all your power is now in tour bottom end. Go on FMF web site and you'll have all the spec...powerparts is KTM's aftermarket parts

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the XC-W uses the same pipe as the XC, then it's not forrestry legal.

I had a Turbine 2 on my old bike and thought it was great. I think a properly packed Turbine 2 is the same dB as a Q.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be compleatly honest, I think a spark arestor for a 2 STROKE is a total waste of $$$. 2 strokes dont spit flames and spark 4 strokes do. I have ran into alot of cops with my 125 2 stroke and they never even checked if my silencer was foresty legal and I hade a fmf shorty and fatty setup (the loudest combo ever)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be compleatly honest, I think a spark arestor for a 2 STROKE is a total waste of $$$. 2 strokes dont spit flames and spark 4 strokes do. I have ran into alot of cops with my 125 2 stroke and they never even checked if my silencer was foresty legal and I hade a fmf shorty and fatty setup (the loudest combo ever)

The man is trying to play by the rules. It doesn't matter if they do or don't, the fact of the matter is by law they are required. Some don't run them, but shouldn't complain if they get a ticket.

This year I will be working towards being more trail legal after selling my old bike that was. Sure it's an extra hassle, and cost, but when its done it's nice to not worry.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
You nailed it Shibby. I know I can add a screen to my existing pipe and would likely have no issues with FS in the bush here, but I am also gonna do some camping in the US including Washington, Oregon and Cali this summer so I wanna make sure the muffler meets with US Forrestry so I don't get any welcome to our state tickets while on holidays.

Might try the PowerCore II or Turbine later this summer or before I head stateside. Here's a few pics of the parts installed recently. More to go on but gotta find some time first as I'm busy at work. Thanks for the input! :beer:

Attachments

• Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Gnarly.jpg
    Gnarly.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Pro.jpg
    Pro.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 36

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive heard alot fo good stuff about the powercore 2. what i would do is wait till you get to the states when you buy it. save $70 or more with the dollar being so good. I am running stock exhaust right now on my 250SX, but thats going to change pretty quick.

By the sound of it, you are going to have yourself a REALLY nice off-road bike my friend!

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a power core 2 & gnarly pipe on my 06 300XCW, I really didn't notice any difference in the sound, but according to my wife I'm going deaf anyways. I think they use some weasel words in the Alberta OHV regs that you need a spark arresting device, not an US Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor ( I'm pretty sure thats the standard they used a few years ago ). I sure wouldn't risk going to the states though without that stamp. I also put a million liability on the dirt bikes, just in case something really goes sideways
Anyways GasCan, way to go for trying to be legal, it would make the fight to keep more riding areas open if more people acted like you & Shibby.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a power core 2 & gnarly pipe on my 06 300XCW, I really didn't notice any difference in the sound, but according to my wife I'm going deaf anyways. I think they use some weasel words in the Alberta OHV regs that you need a spark arresting device, not an US Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor ( I'm pretty sure thats the standard they used a few years ago ). I sure wouldn't risk going to the states though without that stamp. I also put a million liability on the dirt bikes, just in case something really goes sideways
Anyways GasCan, way to go for trying to be legal, it would make the fight to keep more riding areas open if more people acted like you & Shibby.

I believe it just states spark arrester, however, the F&W check for the stamp which is the US forestry stamp. It's a borrowed standard they are using here.

The biggest thing with most silencers is keep the packing fresh. Any pipe will be loud once oil saturated and blown out. There are some ridiculously loud bikes out there for no reason. It's an easy job and costs like 15 bucks. I'll refuse to ride with somebody who doesn't pack their exhaust simply for the hearing protection of myself. They are damagingly loud!

Another simple procedure is when around populated areas, ride slow and low in the RPM's. 2-strokes are quite quiet if not on the pipe. Sadly, if a tree falls in the bush, unknown to man it can't be heard. Same goes for motorcycle sound.

Lastly, as stated it's not about getting away with what you can. I'll admit I don't have a spark arrestor on my new bike yet and have been meaning to get one. Money's tight with a new house purchase but I'm keeping an eye out for a deal. If we, the outdoor enthusiasts control ourselves without the work of F&W officers, it goes to show the general public and government that we deserve the right to play in our designated areas. If we try to sneak away with what we can because of lack of enforcement, it won't help the situation and we'll see more areas closed down or restricted in use. We've already seen enough and don't need to see more!

Because of this, I urge people to a) minimize footprint on the trails, b) pick up your garbage and c) try to play by the rules of equipment and trail usage.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it just states spark arrester, however, the F&W check for the stamp which is the US forestry stamp. It's a borrowed standard they are using here.

Just to bring this back to life for a moment...It acutally doesn't say it needs to be a spark arrestor.

Muffler:8
(1) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle unless the
off-highway vehicle is equipped with an exhaust muffler that
complies with this section.

(2) An exhaust muffler must cool and expel the exhaust gases from
the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames
or sparks.

(3) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust
outlet of the muffler has been widened.

(4) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if a device is
attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the
noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows
gases in or leaving the exhaust system to be ignited.

(5) No person shall drive an off-highway vehicle if the exhaust
muffler
(a) is cut out or disconnected from the engine, or (b) has had a baffle plate or other part removed.

As long as your stock muffler doesn't allow sparks or flames, from these regs, its good. There is no mention of US forestry anything, or standards. There is more concern with having the proper lights, even if they don't work!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Forestry wardens are clamping down on plate locations and working lights this year from what I've been told. Plate must be mounted to the bike in a visible location, and it must have a functioning headlamp and tail light now. Expect tickets if you do not have them. Heard their also getting sticky on 4 strokes to ensure they have spark arrestors.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, and I am by no means against spark arrestors and have looked for add on ones for my bike when it arrives but I just wanted to point out what their regs say and thats right from the printer.

They can get sticky, but until their regs specify a spark arresting muffler, verses an unmodifed muffler that no sparks come from, hmm, yeah I dunno, its nice to be within the lines of the law's, but sometimes they need to be more define on what the lines are.

Honestly I like having a working light on my bikes. Even though I will have an MX bike, its getting a nice lithium powered dual led system, rather than go through the troubles of new stator just yet.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
even with a 4stroke your are more likley to start a fire with the header than form a spark in the exhaust either from direct contact or super hot mud falling off the header right at the motor

tree58

Reaction score
Just installed a new Gnarly pipe on my 250 XCW and didn't see any forrestry approved stamping on the stock muffler. Am I to assume they aren't approved, and if not, is the FMF Q the best muffler to use with that pipe or should I run the TurbineCore 2? :confused:

Dude your fine. They aint gonna pop ya if they cant catch ya:rant:

Top Bottom