Is 4yrs old too young?

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started riding when I was 5 on a little 500 Honda mini bike.

A 500 Honda holy crap you were brave lmao J/K!

.....my boy started on a clutch 50cc rm at the age of 3 with training wheels, I say teach them when they can walk well!!
my daughter just turned 3 and she drives a lil 50cc quad with no probs, knows when to let off and how and when to apply the brakes! :)

....mind you that is in an open field, no bumps, no hills, no obstacles....lol

froggyz71

Reaction score
i wanna get my son an atv and he's only two i don't want to rush him growing up but i just can't wait to ride with him out on the trails

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wanna get my son an atv and he's only two i don't want to rush him growing up but i just can't wait to ride with him out on the trails

I started my kids off with them little battery operated quads, when they were 1ish, prob helped them prep for l8tr being that they had handle bars, learned when to and not to give it throttle...who knows! :beer:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
My son started on a Honda 50cc bike when he was 5. Got his first quad , Yammie 80 when he was 7 and moved quickly to a 125 when he was 8 , had that for 2 years and now will be on his third year on his Yammie 350 4x4 quad. He has over 8000kms under his belt with no accidents. I am hoping that when it comes time to drive a car he will be a pro and I don' t have to worry so much, lol. Most of his quadding has been in the mountains.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
i started the boy off at 4 on one of them canadian tire suzuki electric quads..damn thing quit on me after a month, it's just a bad connection I haven't taken the time to trace yet...I'm gonna find the broken connection and then sell it off in the spring...$225 if anyone is or knows anyone who would be interested..thing has maybe 6 hours on it and is mint.

jimdandy

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,
Looking for you're opinion. I recently purchased a new Giovanni 50cc quad for my little man. I know it isn't great quality, but for $300, it includes electric start, remote shut down, and govenor. The battle I'm having is with the fun police (wife):nono:. My son is 4 and she thinks he is too young. My response to her is that, if you start these kids at a young age they will learn to respect the machines. And its not like I'm going to put him on it and go into the house and use it like a babysitter. This thing will be used only under complete supervision. I feel like she is over acting, or am I starting him too young.:argue:
Started my kids at five years and in my opinion only you will know by watching them if they are ready. If they are mature enough they wil ride within there abilities, if not that's when bad things start to happen. Of course some times we all get a little over confident from time to time as long as we learn by our mistakes. Just watch if he makes you a little nervous he may be too young.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son started riding when he was about 3. Of course with strict supervision.
at 4 he was driving our 6 wheeled John Deer Gator around the farm by himself. He is now 12 and is driving the tractor around the farm doing chores..
In winter he is riding a Arctic Cat Firecat 700 and in the summer a Yamaha Grizzly 700. He now want's a dirt bike and I am looking at a WR250 for him.. All depends on his final report card in June..
Its never to young to start them off riding(driving).
I think that my son will be a lot better off than most when he is able to drive on the roads and I will feel a lot more secure letting him go, knowing that he has over 12 years experience already..
no amount of driver training can beat that !!:cool:

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Having no children myself, I can only observe. I have seen the parents and children many times out quadding / camping, parents chasing after kids, kill remote in hand, the kid's safety gear on, the whole family taking part. I personally have never witnessed an unsupervised 4 year old (quad families rule!). What I have noticed, however are the Walmart battery operated jeeps being used as babysitters. Really, what is the difference?
The difference in my eyes is the parents plunk the kids onto these toys with no safety gear / supervision, and expect that they can't get hurt because you buy it in a toy section and suddenly, they wander off into traffic. I think because it is a quad (not a toy), people will treat it with a little more respect. I would offer to the "FUN PLOICE" that a quad is a much safer way to go at an early age, BECAUSE of the inherent danger (breeds responsibility), and family bonding. A little one rolls a battery operated machine is still rolling a machine reguardless of power source.
Besides, who doesn't like the adorable pictures of kids all suited up in their safety gear.
To the parents who object about the supervision of the Walmart machines, you have to realize that you are a different breed, I know you are contientious of safety & supervision, that being said, its because of quadding / sledding you already have the right attitude. People without quads / sleds wouldn't even be on this site to refute that, lol!
Hell, the box you buy the Walmart machines shows the kids driving it without helmets & gear.
Buy the quad, supervise the little rider, HAVE FUN!

Top Bottom