Is 4yrs old too young?

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guy's,
Looking for you're opinion. I recently purchased a new Giovanni 50cc quad for my little man. I know it isn't great quality, but for $300, it includes electric start, remote shut down, and govenor. The battle I'm having is with the fun police (wife):nono:. My son is 4 and she thinks he is too young. My response to her is that, if you start these kids at a young age they will learn to respect the machines. And its not like I'm going to put him on it and go into the house and use it like a babysitter. This thing will be used only under complete supervision. I feel like she is over acting, or am I starting him too young.:argue:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my son his first quad for his 4th birthday, bought all the safety gear, goverened it to a speed where i could catch him on foot if i ran. slowly allowed him to go faster. He has had a few wipeouts, but nothing to serious. make sure to buy a chest protector. I am one who believes to start them young and teach them to respect the machine.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my son's Giovanni quad for him at 4yrs old. He rode it here and there, nothing to serious. He is now six. This summer I had him out and he was running my 400 by himself operating the gas and steering. I was sat on the back in case he had a problem. No problems. 2 weekends ago he was riding his Gio 50 with only one problem his younger sister wanted a turn and she just turned 4. So after her first ride (me walking beside her) all was good. On her second ride she wanted to go by herself. All was also good, except she didn't want to give it back. So to solve the problem of one quad two kids; order another. It should be here sometime tomorrow.The boys is blue and the girls will be camo yellow. With the proper equipment helmets,and so forth and some quality training/supervision 4 yrs old is not too young.:)

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ASC ATV Safe Rider instructor in me agrees with the wife

The father in me agrees with both you.
  • Start them young - yes.
  • Respect of the machine requires a good ability to reason - (IMO) happens on avaerage at about 6-8 years old.
  • Complete adult supervision is required - Yes. Read the papers, childrens injuries, maming, or death seldom happen while adult supervision is being practiced.
I put my son on a Suzuki 50 when he was four. I would follow him down the trails, when I got too close to him he thought the race was on. I cannot count the number of times he bucked himself off that machine because he was determine to race me. He only ever got bruised for his efforts and learned no respect for that machine. At fifteen he has learned more respect for ATVs from the errors of others, not his; his biggest problem is the comfort level he developed with being bucked off that little 50. With eleven years of experiance behind he knows the limits of his and the machines abilities; he flirts with those limit but does not exceed them (unless it's a quad swallowing mud hole). One other positive of starting them very early; Safety gear becomes second nature to them, in every aspect of their lives.

My :twocents:

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right arm,
Glad to see someone agrees with me. And yes he will be wearing a chest protector , helmet, etc. Can't wait to get him ridding.
Why didn't they make these inexpensive quad when we were young?

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the child. Does he listen to the parents' instructions about other things, and respect them? If the rules get broken, the quad gets parked for the day immediately, with no negotiation.

I know a number of kids that started riding at age 3 or 4, and have had good sense all along. They obey rules, and know their limitations.

Parental maturity also plays a part.... does the parent always set a good example, or are they always racing, doing donuts and other stunts while jr is watching....And junior is ALWAYS watching, by the way. They do what you do, not what you just say.

I also see parents buy a bigger quad so the child doesn't outgrow the 50cc, but the child is small, and inexperienced for a 90cc. The knockoff quads make it cheaper to buy a 50, then a 90......but they can be dangerous due to faulty design. Some have been recalled in the US, but not in Canada, for safety reasons. The throttle can stick open....then what?

Having said that, I have a 6 yr old daughter and 8 yr old son that ride with skill and caution beyond their years. Could they get hurt despite saftey gear? Yes. Could they brake a leg on a trampoline? Yes. Could a drunk driver's poor judgement take them away forever? Yes. Life is full of risks. Choose carefully which risks you are willing to take.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Y'all Make Great Points... I Agree With You All. And Yes I Believe It Depends Mostly On The Childs Attitude, And The Close Supervision. Good Luck And Happy Quading

FoxxyS

Reaction score
Both of my kids each started at 4 yrs of age on a 50cc and 80cc. Personality plays a BIG part, as with my 2, my son was a natural, and picked it up well, gears and all. He knew his limit and still does, and is an awesome rider. My daughter, the fearless fool, on the 50, even with it turned as slow as possible rolled it ( slo-mo, no injuries) 4 times.

Safety and ground rules are important, with full gear worn not just by them, but you as well. Chest protectors are a must.

ANd on a lighter note, who knew at 4 you could threaten to pull the keys?? That didn't happen with me till I was a teen!! LOL

Ride safe and have fun!

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish that my son had started earlier, he is 11 and just learning about them. If I could go back a few years i would just so that he could learn on the smaller quads. He is very tell for his age and can't ride the small quads because of it. So he is learning on a larger quad which has more power, which to me is not a good way to learn.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think 4yrs is a great age to get them learning. I started when i was about 8 or 9 on a 84 honda big red with terrible breaks. both my bro and i grew up riding the most dangerous machines out there and yes, we learned to respect them very fast!! Powderchowder can vouch for that!! I'm sure he was involved in a couple of spills with me when we were young. I would have givin anything for one of those mini quads at that age.

cuzican

Reaction score
4 is not too young at all. I got my first Honda 125 fouwheeler at age five. My foot wasn't even strong enough to pull the shifter so I putted around in second gear(tallest gear it would move in without being able to shift) until I figured out that I could reach down and yank the shifter by hand. My parents didn't know alot about atv's but I wanted one so they bought me one. Then by the time I hit fourth grade I was pounding that poor little 125 into pieces. My dad realized I needed something bigger. He didn't know much about atvs so he asked me which one I wanted. Of coarse that was in the 80's and the banshee ruled. So between 4th and 5th grade I got a banshee. That was too much atv for me but I loved it and the parents didn't know till it was too late to take it away. My sister's two boy started riding at age 4 and 6, they do just fine with it. I currently have a 2 month old son that will probably be on a dirt bike before he rides a bicycle.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My son started last year at 5 on a giovanni 50 and now I have to buy him a 110 because he outgrew it and definatly needs a little more power.He listens very well and respects the machine as much as you can expect a 6 year old to do so.The safety gear and supervision is the most important thing regardless of the age or machine.My 12 yr old daughter rides a 450 Kodiac and listens very well and respects the machine as well.The moment that changes for either child they will be walking.My daughter went to the drugstore today and spent her hard earned money on a ATV magazine.I almost started to cry LOL!
Let Your kids Ride!They will love you for it!
catmando!

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Kids want to play also... My grown children now 25 & 22 started riding @ a young age.... Same as you done (under your guide). Things went well, They listened & didnot have any major recks. They grew up around and near the farm & spent alot of time w/Bad Ass's kids (GetR'Done) Which I think had a wheel in his hands before a bottle. Today It is alot of fun riding with ones family. The CHAMP doesn't miss a mountain ride & My young lady is now into the crotch rocket thing :doh::yikes:
I am sure we as parents all want our children to be SAFE & have FUN, Working within each households limits (We know what is right in our own situations).

Attachments

• Jens bike.jpg
    Jens bike.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Dirt bike 002.jpg
    Dirt bike 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 140

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have three children all under 12 and they have been riding for about 3 years. NOBODY goes anywhere without a helmet, long pants /sleves and sturdy footwear and they are limited to certain gears depending on their age. I prefer to see them on dirt bikes and promote them more than quads due to the lesser weight if/when a mishap occurs. I packed out a trail across the field for my oldest daughter last winter and told her she could try going a little faster but only on the path. She said "no dad I don't want to go any faster(about 20KPH)". Moral of the story.......you have to teach them to respect the machine, don't push them beyond THEIR capabilities, don't let them ride alone, EVER. Four years old may be fine depending on child and supervision, that is the parents decission.:twocents:

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although a study would never be done to prove it, I suspect kids that ride ATV's, sleds or dirtbikes become better drivers of automobiles, from years of experience in acceleration, braking, watching out for others, etc.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Although a study would never be done to prove it, I suspect kids that ride ATV's, sleds or dirtbikes become better drivers of automobiles, from years of experience in acceleration, braking, watching out for others, etc.

I am in complete agreement with you.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I also agree with you,thats why they call them motor skills.
catmando!

atv_rookie

Reaction score
Yes, very well said indeedy.. ha ha..

no seriously tho..

I completely agree with sledgirl. couldn't have thought it better my self.
Having said that..
My daughter is almost 3 yrs old and i also am thinkig of purchasing a small 50cc machine for her. a few times i took her camping since she was 1 yr old and she loves riding with daddy on his brute (just around the cammpsite of course)... since she already likes it so much, i was thinking of starting her on her own soon but was also apprehensive about the risks.
don't get me wrong, i am very responsible with my quad and when it comes to my pumpkin, i'm even more protective.
but i'm glad i'm not the only one crazy enough to think about starting her out this young.
thanks for boosting my enthus a bit with your stories and advise guys and gals.
i know my girl will love it and i will always be there to try and make sure she is ok and learns well

GRD

Reaction score
I also totally agree with you. I have been riding and driving atv's and other motorized vehicles since about the same time I started to walk. My dad taught me to respect and know what the vehicle you are driving can do. I always had the proper supervision and still respect the vehicles I drive now. The younger the better, with the correct parent guidance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom