iron horse trail

brent n

Reaction score
so was out for a ride sunday left from smokey lake first time on the iron horse nice easy gong trail found a few side trails and some mud and even some campsites nice set up question is are dirt bikes allowed on there was told they were not but came across a whole family mom dad and kids all out for a family ride on bikes remember that when i was a kid good times anyway why are bikes not allowed on the trail they don't cause any more of a foot print then quads probably less whats th story behind no bikes thanks

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right from the iron horse site
›› Iron Horse Trail Etiquette ‹‹

• Always Slow and Yield to other users on the trail

• If encountering livestock (including equestrian trail users) on the trail, slow to an idle or stop, pulling to maximum safe edge on the side of the trail, and be prepared to Stop if animals appear to be coming agitated in any way.

• Removing helmets (ATV's and Bicyclists) may be helpful and should be considered in maintaining stability in passing animals.

• Expect to share the Trail with others (including Cyclists, ATV'r, etc). Orienting horses well to encountering other users is highly recomended prior to enjoying the good trail experience, and if in doubt, riders may choose to dismount and more comfortably lead their animals past other users.

Cars, trucks, jeeps, motor bikes and dirt bikes are not authorized to use the Iron Horse Trail. You can receive a fine (up to $1000) for driving on the trail.

• Portions of the Iron Horse Trail are under camera surveillance to combat violations and vandalism.

ATV SAFETY BROCHURE -

brent n

Reaction score
still dosent answer the question why no dirtbikes????? the riders that are into trail riding need a place to ride just as much as quaders do and see no reason on their website why bikes aren't allowed i can understand jeeps and trucks yes sure but bikes really. my son rides a bike as i feel it safer for him at 11 then a quad if it were to roll over he would be in a world of hurt a bike not as bad, be nice for him to ride his own machine with the family instead of have to ride on the back

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I dont know the answer I can only show you what it says. here is the contact info. give them a call/email

Questions, comments or concerns?

We would love to hear from you.

Alberta's Iron Horse Trail
Box 874
5101 - 50 Street
St Paul Alberta
T0A 3A0

Phone: (780) 645-2913

Toll Free: 1-888-645-4155

Fax: (780) 645-5790

or send an email at info@ironhorsetrail.ca

brent n

Reaction score
yea sent a email two days ago haven't got a response yet thought someone hear maybe knew thanks

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to ride a dirt bike on it the trail is a gravel road why bother

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to ride a dirt bike on it the trail is a gravel road why bother

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I think he explained that....his 11 year old is on a dirt bike as he feels this is safer than a quad....they want to ride as a family so that means the youngen riding along with his dirtbike.

brent n

Reaction score
I think he explained that....his 11 year old is on a dirt bike as he feels this is safer than a quad....they want to ride as a family so that means the youngen riding along with his dirtbike.

hit the nail on the head and beside that not everyone the rides a dirtbike races to old for that now takes much to long to heal

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
From the lady at the Iron Horse Trail Office last year

Hi Tyler,

Yes – it is true. The Iron Horse Trail allows registered OHV, horse riders, hikers and cyclists. We realize there is a small percentage of dirt bikes an dual sport bikes that are registered as OHV’s but the policing becomes impossible for us. At this time, no dirt or dual sport bikes are allowed.

Marianne

brent n

Reaction score
to me thats just bs as not everyone has there quads registered u can't tell me they are out there checkin every quad on the trail

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If thats what the rules are see if you can change it or deal with it as it is. There are other places to ride

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out to check out the trail with the family for a nice easy Sunday drive. We started out in smoky lake and everything was great until we started hitting the cattle gates! In our commander max we had to stop and open each gate then drive through and stop again and go close them up. Everyone on quads and some of the 2 seat SxS were able to get over the Texas gates without issue but we would get stuck as a lot of them were really high so it just wasn't worth trying to go over them. I talked to some old timers out there by bellis and they said the gates are slowly getting widened and lowered to accommodate sxs use. I hope it eventually gets done as this would be a neat way to see a large part of eastern alberta.

Top Bottom