Iron Horse Trail

grovegirl

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on the Iron Horse Trail. If you do the full 300 km where do you stay and how long does it take?

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:lame:You got that right!! Bout like driving on a gravel road.
It's boring at 60mph on a bike I can't imagine it on a quad lol.

Just my :twocents:

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we once went from smoky lake to speddin boring but saw a big mushroom in vilna,and once from elk point to heinsburg that wasent too bad..still might try bonnyville to cold lake thats supposed to be awsome and st paul to elk point is supposed to be the best as you can cross some high train tressels..someone must have pics..:beer:

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of little towns along the way..hotels ,stores, but watch your gas..we started in Waskatenau and ended up in Ashmont/St Paul before we could get gas....i was on reserve for the last 20k...its a old railway line..strictly gravel and boring .... but good for beginner to learn to ride...

have fun....

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just northeast of Smoky Lake, 5-10 km from smoky on the right hand side there are some trails that loop back around to the trail some mud and water to get through ,I wouldn't try it solo.I just found it by chance,came across some locals heading in ,so I tagged along.If you find it, there are some fences with gates ,just go through them and close the gates behind you.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 5-8 km east of Vilna along the Iron Horse you will hit Bellis, which has some decent riding areas on both sides of hwy 28. Further west towards Bonnyville, just north of Moose Lake along the Iron Horse there is another good riding area. It's about 2.5km west of Franchere, on the other side of the road from the trail. You will notice a tractor and some sand pits at the entrance.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 5-8 km east of Vilna along the Iron Horse you will hit Bellis, which has some decent riding areas on both sides of hwy 28. Further west towards Bonnyville, just north of Moose Lake along the Iron Horse there is another good riding area. It's about 2.5km west of Franchere, on the other side of the road from the trail. You will notice a tractor and some sand pits at the entrance.
:nono::rolleyes:I think you need a Compass or a GPS.:);):cool:

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know, reading my post again I noticed I got my east's and west's mixed up.. Thanks for pointing that out... Either way, there are a couple decent areas to ride if you're going to be in that area.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. In 2005 I road Glendon to Cold Lake return, 6 hrs, and in 2007 Ashmont to Bonnyville return and then, same long week end, Ashmont to Heinsburg return. Still have to do the West Leg. Mybe this year. Our daughter and her husband live just East of Bellis, south of the Trail, so I will start from their place. and spend some time in the sand before Smoky Lake.

Top Bottom