Iron Horse Trail

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've been down the iron horse trail. Rode the section of trail starting from the east side of Elk Point and rode east to Heinsburg and from what I can remember there aren't any places off to the side for playing in or mudding. It's mostly a trail for enjoying the scenery and there probably would be alot of pissed off folks if every little mud hole was tore up and full of ruts.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is true , I was just wondering if it would be a good ride and able to play a little. I was thinking about taking it up to my parents lake lot just past spedden and into Garner Lake for a ride.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow small world, my family also has a lake lot in Garner Lake. I spend most of my summer weekends out there. We've driven the Iron Horse a bunch of times. The only places to mention thus far would be bellis, which is about 10 minutes west down the trail from Vilna. full days worth of trails in there, but you would probably hit them all in that day. The best riding by far that we've found was an area just northwest of Moose Lake. The Iron Horse goes right by it. We rode it for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a blast!

On a Rhino the trail would likely be a ton more fun, especially with the family for a leisure ride. Turn up the tunes and enjoy the weather... that kind of trail.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow small world, my family also has a lake lot in Garner Lake. I spend most of my summer weekends out there. We've driven the Iron Horse a bunch of times. The only places to mention thus far would be bellis, which is about 10 minutes west down the trail from Vilna. full days worth of trails in there, but you would probably hit them all in that day. The best riding by far that we've found was an area just northwest of Moose Lake. The Iron Horse goes right by it. We rode it for the first time a few weeks ago and it was a blast!

On a Rhino the trail would likely be a ton more fun, especially with the family for a leisure ride. Turn up the tunes and enjoy the weather... that kind of trail.

That is to funny. Small world. Is the trails marked well around Bellis? Which way is moose lake? Is it past the Vilna turn off? Maybe we could meet and go for a ride and you can show me around the trails. I am not to firmilar with the trails up there. I have been on the iron horse from smokey to the little burger joint in spedden a couple of times.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live 2 km from the trail . Going to try and hit it on friday. Done it last fall. And I would have to agree around bellis is the best part to play

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moose Lake is more towards Bonnyville, just after Glendon. We drove to it as it's about a half hour drive from Garner Lake. Looking at the Iron Horse map, it would be about an hour ride if you skipped the part where the trail crosses Hwy 28 and then doubles back a few km down.

You can't actually ride near Moose Lake, because it's a provincial park, but just north you find some sand pits, trails, and some pretty challenging mud holes. I'd have to look at the map again to give better directions, but it's well worth checking out.

I believe Bellis may have a couple signs on the Iron Horse, but since I've only ever unloaded at Bellis itself I never paid attention to the signs on the trail. There are however signs all through Bellis pointing this way and that. If you've rode the Iron Horse from Smokey to Spedden, you've past Bellis along the way.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live 2 km from the trail . Going to try and hit it on friday. Done it last fall. And I would have to agree around bellis is the best part to play

yeah mudboy, waskatenau is a popular staging area for the Iron Horse trail. Actually, I think it's the starting point for the trail.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW....Garner Lakes haven't been there in a very long time. At one time there use to be some riding in the grazing leases around the north and east side of the north garner lake. If there are any members from the Bonnyville area on S&M, does the Bonnyville sled club still have a warming cabin on the north side of Garner Lake? Last that I knew of the cabin some idiots had vandalized it. Any of you guys make the venture to Dewberry for off sales or did you just pick them up at the Heinsburg store?

jboar1

Reaction score
They still have the cabin. I was not out there in over a year but it was fixed up pretty nice. Good spot for a family picnic (winter or summer).

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good place to start is smokey lake. Then head towards bellis. The first part from Waskatenau to smokey is really boring on the quad. Nice in the winter on the sled though

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good place to start is smokey lake. Then head towards bellis. The first part from Waskatenau to smokey is really boring on the quad. Nice in the winter on the sled though

I would definately agree with you on that. I think that I might tour Bellis a little in the next few weeks. I have only passed through on the trail in the winter. Hopefully the trails are marked and easy to follow.

Top Bottom