Iron Horse trail - Bonnyville

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's hard to believe that there's no place to stage in Bonnyville. That said, I don't recall seeing one by the trail the last time past through there. Have you tried calling visitor info? The number is (866) 826-3496 but is closed Canada Day.

I know there is a staging area at Mallaig. If I remember correctly, it was a pretty nice ride between there and Bonnyville.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres no "official" staging area that i know of, but I've see lots of people park at the gravel pits near franchere bay on HWY 660. the ironhorse is right across the hwy from the pits.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being from Bonnyville, I have to say that I am more than embarrassed at the state of the Iron Horse trail and it's staging area. When CN was shutting down the rail line out local governments asked the Snowmobile club to lobby for securing the right away as a multi-use corridor. We did just that. When it can time to build the staging area the club was ready to go ahead and help with the construction. They then sold the allotted land out from under us. Many years of battle and we finally secured a piece of land but the Town and MD have reneged on their commitments. The staging area issue has been an on going battle and I have no Idea when and if it will ever get built. Such a shame.

I ask any one that reads this post, send the Town and the MD of Bonnyville a letter asking about the staging area. Maybe shaming them into it is the answer.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Being from Bonnyville, I have to say that I am more than embarrassed at the state of the Iron Horse trail and it's staging area. When CN was shutting down the rail line out local governments asked the Snowmobile club to lobby for securing the right away as a multi-use corridor. We did just that. When it can time to build the staging area the club was ready to go ahead and help with the construction. They then sold the allotted land out from under us. Many years of battle and we finally secured a piece of land but the Town and MD have reneged on their commitments. The staging area issue has been an on going battle and I have no Idea when and if it will ever get built. Such a shame.

I ask any one that reads this post, send the Town and the MD of Bonnyville a letter asking about the staging area. Maybe shaming them into it is the answer.

public & tourist support sometimes can really kick start a town/md's gears to get something going. Great idea Ron.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Great idea! Can you post up some info?

Email addresses / phone numbers?

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great idea! Can you post up some info?

Email addresses / phone numbers?

Municipal District of Bonnyville No. 87 Administration Office
780-826-3171
toll free 1-888-866-3171
md.bonnyville.ab.ca

Town of Bonnyville Town Office