Iron Horse Trail 2010/2011 Season

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the boys are looking forward to it. Looks like we'll have nice groomed trails and some decent weather. I'll post some pics after the trip. Last time I rode the trail in the summer there was firewood at some of the stops, is that still happening? We're hoping to cook some hotdogs and whatever else on the trail rather than sitting inside a restaurant. Should I be packing a hatchet and some boyscout essentials...

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the boys are looking forward to it. Looks like we'll have nice groomed trails and some decent weather. I'll post some pics after the trip. Last time I rode the trail in the summer there was firewood at some of the stops, is that still happening? We're hoping to cook some hotdogs and whatever else on the trail rather than sitting inside a restaurant. Should I be packing a hatchet and some boyscout essentials...
Hey Bubs,
There may not be a lot of upkeep at rest areas on the IHTrail thru the winter, as each sled club has their own side-trail facilities that they focus on.
There's always deadfall along the way for fires, and yes, a hatchet might be worthwhile.
Abilene area gets used some, and is one nice sunny stop site.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks RideHard, I usually pack twice as much stuff as I'll need on a trip and then swear at all the crap I packed that I'll never use...and definitely swear if I finally took something out and needed it. I'll make a note of the Abilene stop, gonna have to come up with a game plan with the father in law and what he wants to do for food...but I would rather sit around a fire and enjoy a hot smokie and a cold pop than sit in a restaurant almost any day. A week away and we're down one rider already, one of the boys got some pins and screws removed from his arm this week and the Doc says no sledding and Momma Bear was there to hear it so looks like he'll be pussing out. Oh well I'll still have fun.

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man was it cold and windy on Saturday, barely stopped to eat lunch, couldn't get out of the wind. Had a decent ride, put on 193 kms. according to the odometer. Guys I was riding with were not quite prepared for the wind and so it was a chilly ride for them...I however got a end of season deal on a new FXR coat before I left Edmonton and it was toasty and comfortable all day.

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone in the Smoky, St. Paul or Bonnyville area able to provide a reply as to if the IHT still has rideable conditions for this weekend.
Thanks

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was talking to the kids grandfather from b ville yesterday says he probably wont be riding again this year as its getting thin out there.
dont know how thin just know from heresay.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
No riding Cold Lake or Bonnyville. Down to the ground now on the trail..

Quads are in, sleds for the mountains now around hear.

Top Bottom