Insuring snowmobile with ICBC- In British Columbia

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll see your forestry act and raise you an ORV act.

Off Road Vehicle Management Framework - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

• Amendments to the Forest Service Road Use Regulation (October 2012): a snowmobile operator may cross a ploughed Forest Service Road if they have a valid driver’s license, $200,000 third party liability insurance, and both the driver and passenger must wear a helmet. In addition, the snowmobile operator must yield the right of way to other traffic, exercise due care and attention and take reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons using the Forest Service Road.

Government!!!! :protest:

Typical government huh? One reg says you can cross a plowed FSR with a sled if you have insurance, the other says your sled isn't allowed on a plowed FSR period, and you don't need insurance! Gotta love it! :loco:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The FSR regs are over 2 years old online. Likely they just haven't been amended yet or maybe just not updated yet online. Remember anything printed is old information after it is printed. Need to contact the FSR and MOT directly for the latest up to date info.
That said I believe like anywhere you can always cross an FSR, numbered hwy or secondary road as long as it is in the shortest distance possible. Just can't ride down them and in some places that includes in riding parallel in the ditch as well.
Kinda BS we need to register and insure yet still can't use the road or ditch.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The FSR regs are over 2 years old online. Likely they just haven't been amended yet or maybe just not updated yet online.

The ammendment for crossing plowed FSR's is there actually. Section 3 paragraph 5. I've just never read that far before.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got beacon on my 14 pro today, 569 and I got the 'trail star' thing. When i originally got a quote through icbc it was 782 (it was on a sunday and beacon was closed so I just got a binder for the week)

I am curious why yours was 582 though, my original quote was 53x then I told the lady I wanted the insurance incase I need a heli ride etc, she called beacon and they said it was only an extra $25

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got beacon on my 14 pro today, 569 and I got the 'trail star' thing. When i originally got a quote through icbc it was 782 (it was on a sunday and beacon was closed so I just got a binder for the week)

I am curious why yours was 582 though, my original quote was 53x then I told the lady I wanted the insurance incase I need a heli ride etc, she called beacon and they said it was only an extra $25
Could have something to do with where you live Usually rates are higher the farther south and closer to the mainland you go.

Top Bottom