Insuring a Mod Sled

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I got the call from Drayden Insurance on Friday that they will no longer be insuring my sled. I guess they don't want to insure my toys after 10 plus years of insuring them. This is through the ASA policy, they have a 30K cap on sleds. When I gave them the list on my sled, they first seen CR tunnel and red flags popped up. Now my Auto is commercial so I cant insure it there, so mabie I'll go start hunting for a reasonable insurance carrier.
Any suggestions?? I will need to move my quad there as well. And it needs to be a stand alone policy. When you insure the sled with your vehicle and something happens it affects your policy on your vehicle.

I was going to fully cover the sled for 30K max even though its worth more.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Primmum Insurance 1-866-454-8911 when I had my Fatboy no body could come close to there rates. I also had my sleds & quad with them. They claim they are leaders in the quads, atvs & motorcylcels.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to fully cover the sled for 30K max even though its worth more.

Actually Ron as a 'mod' sled you will now find it is worth about half of what it cost to build - welcome to the custom club.:):)

I couldn't get my Mountain Magic sled insured for value - good luck. You can rule out Allstate - they will not touch non stock - have you tried Cooperators?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Primmium will insure bikes but not sleds. I see Jevco insures sleds. I was going to try Allstate but I see the comment that they dont insure mod sleds. Also I am not insuring the sled to full value, only about 60% of the value.

sledhead65

Reaction score
Ron, try Blazer, they treated me good on my water toys.

Hey whats a case or two of diesel synthetic worth?

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[ This is through the ASA policy, they have a 30K cap on sleds. When I gave them the list on my sled, they first seen CR tunnel and red flags popped up.

Ron, I had the same problem with my sled. I found a insurance company out of Cagary that gave me insurance on my sled. I'm at the office right now. However I will give you the number tonight.

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been with Drayden for nearly 15 years and always put my trust in them...till this year. Thought I'd keep them honest and just get another quote. One policy alone I was paying Drayden 5k a year and the other guys came in almost half price. Don't think that if you've been with a company for a period of time you can trust them. :nono: Just wondering how may $$$$ they screwed me out of over the years. :mad:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
TD Insurance is really good to me....I insure my BMW, chev 3500, Windstar, 2 sleds, 2 quads, and travel trailer. for 2300-ish a year.

Might be worth a call

Home and Auto
1-800-338-0218

Bogger :beer:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I don't insure my toys with my main vehicle, that will affect your main vehicle policy if a claim is ever made. Ask your broker if they say it wont, then ask for that in writing. My broker wont write the toys with the vehicle or house policy because he knows what will happen if a claim is made.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
As per TD Insurance policy...any claim can only be held against the vehicle involved in the claim....I used to pay under $1700 for all the above and after 13 years of clean driving I had a bad spell of 2 rear enders and the theft of my 1 ton and quad all within a 2 year span. The theft did not effect the rates on any because theft is out of my control so after that incident rates stayed the same @ about $1700 ($8900 pay-out on my 1989 chevy 1 ton & $5500 on my 2002 LT300)
After accident #1 my fault increase on principal vehicle (chevy 1500 @ the time) of about $300 year...all other vehicles remained @ original rate
After accident #2 my fault again...increase on prinicpal vehicle (BMW 318ti) of another $300 year...all other vehicles remained @ original rate
Explained to me is....if I have a claim with my ATV it will affect my ATV rate, if I have a claim on the sled it will effect my sled rate ect...
so had it not been for my 2 accidents I'd still be paying $1700 for all of the above

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I got a quote through Transwest Insurance today, RoyalSunalliance, 40K coverage, Liability, Fire, theft, Vandelism, No Collision for $879 if I want to add the collision I could add an additional $3576 to that roughly. I think I will stick with the liability and comp.

Remember if you have a Turbo or Nitros you need to disclose this as well, as when it comes to making a claim, which we all don't want to do it can get nasty if they don't know. There are alot of new turbo's out there and I can bet only some are insured properly. An insurance company can deny a claim on the basis is that they have false information, and In my business I have seen it alot. (I do fire and flood restoration).

I will look into this further and put updates on this. So far Im pleased with what Ron at All West Insurance is offering. Ive checked with Allstate, St.Farm, Co-operators, TD/Primmum, AMA, ING/Novex and there all not interested in insuring a turbo modified sled.

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I went from Draydon to Cooperators .... Draydon is one of the worst ins. co's to deal with as far as I'm concerned!:nono:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No luck with Drayden here either. They are "supposed" to give preferred rates to ASA members. When I called about my two sleds the guy gives me a rate and asks "how does that sound?", like I was supposed to negotiate or something. Turns out the Drayden rate was much higher than my current insurance so bye bye Drayden and thanks for being so supportive to ASA members.:mad: Isn't this something the ASA should be following up on to be sure members are indeed getting the perk? Drayden is getting adverstising (false) on the back of the ASA. Not right...in my opinion.

Top Bottom