Insulating flooring on 4 place

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was planning to insulate the flooring of my sled trailer here before the season starts. I was curious if anyone had some ideas, methods, costs and just generally what they think is a good way to go about.

Was thinking spray foam. Not sure of costs or who has it in Edm.

28ft v nose steel frame.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought spray foam and I think it was like 500-600$ for the 2 propane size tanks that mix together in the nozzle. Did my entire 30 foot. Holding up well after 2 seasons. But someone else on here told me they had someone else do it for not much more and did a way nicer job as it is messy and kind of an art.

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well who is this person!!? Lol I'll pay you to do mine for not much more

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Probably doesn't matter to you cause you don't put on many hiway miles,but I've heard that adds a lot of weight.Did you notice the old chevy working a little harder while you were backing over sleds?
I bought spray foam and I think it was like 500-600$ for the 2 propane size tanks that mix together in the nozzle. Did my entire 30 foot. Holding up well after 2 seasons. But someone else on here told me they had someone else do it for not much more and did a way nicer job as it is messy and kind of an art.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just put down 1" styrofoam and plywood over top and spray box liner

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 550

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I manage a spray foam insulation company in Calgary, and thought about spraying the floor of my old enclosed. But not having a heated enclosed, it would be like insulating a house, with no furnace.

But....... for those who are looking for this, I priced it out once at a 1000 bucks (28 foot enclosed), everything said and done, for 2lbs closed cell. The 2 part propane bottles work good, but not the same as a proper spray foam rig.
Hope this helps.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had mine done beginig of last year, worked great, I did however put a couple bus fans in it to get some air movement to dry the floor

i paid 800 to have it professionally done and would advise to do it

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about spray foaming the top of the floor and then putting a new wood down, or under the floor in and around the frame?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm talking about put an R-20 closed cell, on the underside of the floor and around the frame. Sealing the bottom from moisture

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about put an R-20 closed cell, on the underside of the floor and around the frame. Sealing the bottom from moisture

What he said. Most floor cross members are like 4" deep minimum so you can get way better insulation value compared to throwing 1" board on the floor. Not to mention will protect the frame

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of travel trailers that had the underside spray foamed. I was interested in one of them until we lifted the trailer on the dealers lift and I saw that the foam was missing in spots from rock damage. When I dug into the foam it came off in chunks with the paint from the frame still attached with a good thickness of rust. I did this to three outboard cross members until the salesman stopped me. All three were rotted almost through. It was a shame because the trailer was a nice arctic fox in good condition otherwise. I'm no expert in spray foam, but seems to me that if moisture gets behind the foam somehow you're gonna be in trouble. Not something I'd do after seeing what I saw.
I'd use some styrofoam inside with plywood on top if I wanted to insulate the floor.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What he said. Most floor cross members are like 4" deep minimum so you can get way better insulation value compared to throwing 1" board on the floor. Not to mention will protect the frame
Our company sprays BASF chemical, and with 4 inches one could get close to a R28. Which is better than all of our house wall insulation

Your exactly right Sean, it will seal the floor and protect the frame

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of travel trailers that had the underside spray foamed. I was interested in one of them until we lifted the trailer on the dealers lift and I saw that the foam was missing in spots from rock damage. When I dug into the foam it came off in chunks with the paint from the frame still attached with a good thickness of rust. I did this to three outboard cross members until the salesman stopped me. All three were rotted almost through. It was a shame because the trailer was a nice arctic fox in good condition otherwise. I'm no expert in spray foam, but seems to me that if moisture gets behind the foam somehow you're gonna be in trouble. Not something I'd do after seeing what I saw.
I'd use some styrofoam inside with plywood on top if I wanted to insulate the floor.
The spray foam you are referring to, is 1/2lbs open cell. You can peal that chit off with your hand, and I would never recommend that to the underside of ANY trailer. 2lbs spray foam is exactly the same as styrofoam sheets, it will never absorb water, and when sprayed correctly. It will never separate from it's substrate. As a certified sprayer, I would never use the sheets. How do you seal them from thermal transfer???

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Wes a call at Foam Force in Edmonton. He has done a lot of trailers for me with the 2lb closed cell foam as Trashy recommended. You need a hammer to take this stuff off! Great guy fair pricing and tell him I sent yah. It's the best insulation you can do to your trailer if you intend to run heat. I'm amazed at the difference once the floor is done. Below is a link to his website. :beer:

Top Bottom