installing stero deck

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the other day I went and priced out a deck for my 03 sierra and they started telling me that i need some kind of wiring harnes and if i didnt install it my air bags would be set off, this is 150 bucks i dont want to have to spend if i dont have to. has anyone else had to do this?

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: installing deck

tunes music and audio in Lloydmister, i reacted the same when they told me that i just dont want them to be right

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

tunes music and audio in Lloydmister, i reacted the same when they told me that i just dont want them to be right

sounds like bull poop to me.... what do u need to install a stereo???? muffler bearings and a sky hook.......tell the to take a long walk off a short pier....

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Total crap. I have sold close to 200 decks, and have never heard of anybody's airbags going off.

albertasummitx

Reaction score

lol they know something no one else does,if you power your deck out of your 4 way plug it shouldnt do nothing, or if you haul your trailer it would set off your air bags to . lol:):beer:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yea it won't set off your airbags. But on many newer vehicles you do need the special expensive adapters or weird things will happen. 06+ dodges are bad for it if you don't use the can bus adapter your trucks wiring will have problems. Nothing to the tune of airbags going off, but still annoying.

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i also heard that your guages wont work properly or not at all without the stock stereo, so i just unplugged it and nothing was different.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was kinda confused for a minute, I didn't know you were talking about a stereo "deck"

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was kinda confused for a minute, I didn't know you were talking about a stereo "deck"

He's talking about a stereo? Now I feel dumb as well, maybe he should clarifiy his posts better next time. I was trying to fiqure why a stereo place was selling a sled deck anyways(though it may be a small town thing):d

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey yes, On GMC or Chevy trucks the airbags are wired through the stereo. If you have a switch that you can turn off the passenger front air bags then you definatly need the adapter. I have installed many after market decks and DVD players in my vehicles.

Some guys dont beleive it, and test the theory. i have heard of air bags going off without proper intallation.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it is called PAC-Audio and if you have On-Star you will need it, if you do not have On-Star then you may get lucky. Went through this on my son's 2004 GMC.
Here's how you check it....turn on the key so the chimes go off and listen....is the sound coming through the door speakers or is it a separate alarm of its own. If it is coming through the speakers, then you need the PAC control box and you will be spending at least $150.00. Then, if you have buttons on your steering wheel to control the radio and you want those to work....you will need another PAC-control box - I think that one was another $ 80.00.
Hope this helps you out.:Snowmobile1:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 06 GM I put a Kenwood deck/dvd deal in there I needed a special harness to make it work right. One for the On-Star and one for the steering wheel buttons. What Cat401 says is right....my "ding ding ding" comes through the speakers.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were in the Edmonton area you could have mine for a case of bud light. Installed a pioneer mp3/cd/dvd combo unit in an '06 chev company truck that i was driving for awhile till the company started getting rid of '06 and older trucks in the fleet. Wasn't gonna be bothered to install it into the '08 I'm driving now.

ZEDNECK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sorry guys was in my own little world lol so i guess i will have to spend 150 bucks on that to then?

just do what kelby did and cut the wires for your airbags, o wait then he got into that head on with kyle and hit the windshield. nevermind scratch that idea

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a stereo install shop back in 2003 and there were so many different adaptors coming out is was scarry. if the shop says you need it now Im going to say they are right! dont call bull ch!t on it, but you can ask around. air bags,on star, it seams like every thing is some how connected to each other. way to confussing now. just my 2 cents lol the funny part is we cant do a simply stereo change but the guy hot wiring our trucks can do it even quicker now than the old days! whats with that?

Top Bottom