Installing new winch on a Newer Cat.... please advise if you can

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am installing a Warn 3000 lb winch on my 2009 thundercat. I have everything bolted in and wired except the "Hand module activator" which is mounted on the left side of the handle bars. I have this mounted but not connected to the electrical harness. I have had a heck of a time trying to locate the plug on the harness to make the connection. Can someone tell me how to get AT this plug? Do I have to take off the whole front body work?

I attached some pics to show the plug in question....it attaches under the front body work to the harness..... where is the question!! Cant find it from underneith either??? Grrrr.

Attachments

• 2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0016.jpg
    2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0016.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0015.jpg
    2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0015.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0017.jpg
    2011_1027WinchandLENDRUMPLEXI0017.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 78

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am installing a Warn 3000 lb winch on my 2009 thundercat. I have everything bolted in and wired except the "Hand module activator" which is mounted on the left side of the handle bars. I have this mounted but not connected to the electrical harness. I have had a heck of a time trying to locate the plug on the harness to make the connection. Can someone tell me how to get AT this plug? Do I have to take off the whole front body work?

I attached some pics to show the plug in question....it attaches under the front body work to the harness..... where is the question!! Cant find it from underneith either??? Grrrr.

I dont own a cat but that plug is just a power connection. and by judging by the pictures I would say it goes under the gauge pod. since it doesnt seem long enough to get anywhere else, and you have looked everywhere else.

Also is the winch kit for a cat?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont own a cat but that plug is just a power connection. and by judging by the pictures I would say it goes under the gauge pod. since it doesnt seem long enough to get anywhere else, and you have looked everywhere else.

Also is the winch kit for a cat?

actually I should make sure you are talking about the 2 wire connector with a red and black wire. if so thats what I has talking about. Then from the gauge pod the longer cable pry heads down to somewhere up front.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Zeebs.... my problem is finding the plug on the harness under the body work and Air box??

???????

Dont know what your trying to say. Have you figured it out yet? I say if your trying to find where to plug in the connector with the red and black wires remove the plactic around the speedo and it might be under there.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
???????

Dont know what your trying to say. Have you figured it out yet? I say if your trying to find where to plug in the connector with the red and black wires remove the plactic around the speedo and it might be under there.

The air box on a t-cat is under the front bodywork.... different then most quads (i was told the connection is under the air box). I'll take a good look at it tomorrow. I'll try taking a look under the Speedo pod plastic like you said.... good idea. Thanks!

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you gotta have em tore almost completly down to install a winch. Bolting it up you can get by with minimal removal of stuff but when it comes to wiring take all the body work and front bumper off and throw it in a pile and continue working

043.jpg

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
hola fawk, thats alotta work, looks like cat and popo make ya work and bust ur ass to get in a winch. FYI= KQ's only take 30-45 mins, and im not tearin fenders off.
Oh, and i guess u'll need the 3000lb for that heavy cat.

But keep lookin, if cat made a W kit for ur kitty, im sure the harness will b there.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually I should make sure you are talking about the 2 wire connector with a red and black wire. if so thats what I has talking about. Then from the gauge pod the longer cable pry heads down to somewhere up front.

Hey Zeebs..... There is a 2 wire plug under the gauge pod. it has black and Orange wires.... after taking off the front rack and the body work, looking for the black and red wire connection underneith there some where I found nothing. So I hooked up the winch switch to this plug under the pod and ruffed up all the connections and the winch worked!! Thanks for the advice. Seems the connection to the main harness was there. Now... when i install my heated hand grips that plug/connection is used by the winch switch??? Oh well..... figure that out later... thanks for your input!

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Zeebs..... There is a 2 wire plug under the gauge pod. it has black and Orange wires.... after taking off the front rack and the body work, looking for the black and red wire connection underneith there some where I found nothing. So I hooked up the winch switch to this plug under the pod and ruffed up all the connections and the winch worked!! Thanks for the advice. Seems the connection to the main harness was there. Now... when i install my heated hand grips that plug/connection is used by the winch switch??? Oh well..... figure that out later... thanks for your input!

Like I say never worked on a cat but that was just a switched power connection. On my sportsman they have 3 (I believe) switched power wires just below the pod but the ground for the accessory I am adding gets a ring connector so its grounded to the frame unlike yours where its all one connector. My switched power wires then have piggy back spade connectors so I can add multiple things to one wire. It would suprise me if they dont have more switched power wires under there somewhere. do your grips have the same plug in?

Top Bottom