Installing a winch

Qub3d

Reaction score
I'm installing a winch on my KQ this weekend and was looking at the handle bar controller for it and it is quite big... I don't know that I want that sitting on my handle bars while i'm riding. I noticed there's a threaded hole on top of my left handle bar. Is there an adapter piece / bar that I can buy at the local atv parts store that will screw into there and hold my winch controller? Does anyone have any other ideas on how / where I can mount it? Thanks for the help!

** Edit **

Found my answer - Handle bar Rocker switch. Now I just need to find out where to buy one for the winch I got.

steveo

Reaction score
You may want to look into a micro switch which is alot smaller and can be mounted on the handle bar without being in the way.

Qub3d

Reaction score
Yeah, I knew the hole was for a mirror.. just thought that maybe someone knew of an after market add on that's similar to a handle bar so I could mount that switch to it.

The winch itself is a Costco special... Champion Power equipment Model 10014 2500lb.

I am going to order the rocker switch from CPE themselves.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew the hole was for a mirror.. just thought that maybe someone knew of an after market add on that's similar to a handle bar so I could mount that switch to it.

The winch itself is a Costco special... Champion Power equipment Model 10014 2500lb.

you can probably use any 3 position switch for your application, I don't see the need to spend big money on the CPE one when you can likely get one at Princess Auto or Crappy Tire that will suit the same purpose :twocents:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

I don't think that micro rocker switch warn has will not work with a champion winch. The micro switch has a big relay you have to mount and it may not be compatable

Qub3d

Reaction score
Turns out I'm changing everything that I have already purchased. :) I'm taking the winch back to Costco and returning it and instead am buying a Waterproof Venom 2500 - 3000 lb winch which will come with everything including a wired remote control. The bracket that I have fits the winch, and the quad, but the bracket doesn't come up high enough to clear the mounting bars/frame. The price of the new winch is about 20 bucks more than what I paid for the original one at Costco.

I did look at Princess auto for both the mounting bracket and the rocker switch all to no avail. Crappy tire only has 3 way switches which you can or can not buy and then modify but who has time for that? :D;)

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. Much appreciated. I'll see if I can put together a Install thread of the new winch to help people with installing thier own. It is a bit of a PITA and I"m sure they can probably benefit from it.

Top Bottom