install temp gadge 07 800r rev

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a electric temp gadge from princess auto and want to put it in... just looking at the top t stat housing is plastic... i seen some where that i tee it into the hose between the t stat and bottle... but is the temp going to show right there??? what have other peeps done???

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a electric temp gadge from princess auto and want to put it in... just looking at the top t stat housing is plastic... i seen some where that i tee it into the hose between the t stat and bottle... but is the temp going to show right there??? what have other peeps done???

you will always have flow at the line back to the bottle, as it is the high point in the system, it is only a regulated flow through the small fitting. There is one that you can get from BRP for 140ish... plugs right into a plug under the dash on left hand side of machine, uses the reading from the temp sensor. Some people that I know have tied into the 3/4" line that goes to the tunnel cooler with a TEE fitting that has the branch threaded instead of a hose barb.

My 07, doesn't have a thermostat in it, nor did it come with one either, I have plumbed in a thermostat from the XP.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i kind of want to know the temp and the add on brp stuff that i have used before sucks...... and from what i gather is the 07 with out the stats have the most power..... im kind of split on the add on stat..

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i kind of want to know the temp and the add on brp stuff that i have used before sucks...... and from what i gather is the 07 with out the stats have the most power..... im kind of split on the add on stat..

I just spent over 1000 on engine parts and stuff, knowing that I won't have a problem with four cornering a piston now that I have a thermostat makes me feel better... I was surprised to learn that my sled did not have a thermostat.... Never thought liquid cooled engine that ran in cold temps would be without one:nono:

I do agree that the BRP gauge looks like crap though

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres good info from doo talk. Used this to install a digi temp gauge this summer

ski-doo snowmobile forums - DOOTalk.com

thats all fine and dandy but the 07's have a plastic t stat housing with no air plug... i ended up teeing into the rubber line and grounded the sensor .... got her up to 145 deg f.... just running her in the shop

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what? that seems a little low. hold the throttle to the bars, should then get a good reading.:d you know revs need to be reved .

there is a fitting you can get from royal distributing that goes in the rad hose and has a sensor in it. just a thought.

friggin revs.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what? that seems a little low. hold the throttle to the bars, should then get a good reading.:d you know revs need to be reved .

there is a fitting you can get from royal distributing that goes in the rad hose and has a sensor in it. just a thought.

friggin revs.

ya well friggin xp's [ buffalo's or old mach ton's ]

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what? just stick your stink finger in the hole and see if it's hot or not

friggin hot spots.

Reaction score
I installed RK Tek dual ring drop in pistons this summer and questioned this and was told DO NOT install a t stat..any thoughts guys?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed RK Tek dual ring drop in pistons this summer and questioned this and was told DO NOT install a t stat..any thoughts guys?

I'm taking mine out. I asked this question over at dootalk as there was alot of debate over whether to do it or not.

General consensus by the engine builders and the high hp build guys say to do it. Just let it warm up longer before you get on and ride it. Their argument is that the '07's don't have one and unless it's an etec, it really doesn't need it.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'm taking mine out. I asked this question over at dootalk as there was alot of debate over whether to do it or not.

General consensus by the engine builders and the high hp build guys say to do it. Just let it warm up longer before you get on and ride it. Their argument is that the '07's don't have one and unless it's an etec, it really doesn't need it.

The other issue comes when a head gasket starts to go (as happened on mine) and I would have known something was wrong with a gauge, but without it cost me a motor.

Temp gauge is going on mine

Reaction score

Thanks man, mine is an 07, never ran one yet, doesnt sound like I need to.
Cheers:beer:

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

well, I did the pistons and head from Rk this year, and I read that too, but as a mechanic, any engine that has sudden change in coolant temp, which you can get on the summit chassis, you should have a thermostat in the engine. Very easy to cause a 4 corner situation in your engine if you are lets say pulling hard across the flats, little snow, then hit a large snowy area. You will get rapid cooling that will shrink the cylinders/block just enough to cause contact with a hot piston.:nono: I installed the thermostat housing from an XP in my sled, and when I have run it this year, the temp holds all day long at 115 F and I haven't really tested it yet. I'm not to sure why RK recommends the removal of the T stat, but I personally don't think this is a good idea.

I know of a couple of people with some modded sleds that have removed their thermostats and had 4 corner situations because of this reason.

Maybe some one has a different idea though.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh... it would have to cool the hole system real fast to do it... and i don't see the possiblity with the hole system hot.....

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh... it would have to cool the hole system real fast to do it... and i don't see the possiblity with the hole system hot.....

Not really the whole system, your coolant flows out of the coolers, direct to the water pump and into the block. No temp regulating there.

It may not happen, and BRP had obviously thought of this in their design of the summit sled, but I ask why do the other REV chassis have a thermostat, but the
Summit does not?

Top Bottom