InReach

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in at Avalanche Safety Solutions last weekend and saw they have the new inReach communication device.. What i got was it will turn your iphone or android into a Satellite data transfer device similar to a spot type unit except you txt or email from your phone to send/receive..

Anyone running one and what do you think.. I have a BB and it isn't compatible but just wondering what the reviews are..

Any info is appreciated..

Gforce21

Reaction score
Is anyone running one? I'm thinking of either this or spot but spot seems to have a lot lower fees. It would be nice to have something android compatible but my SIII gets a whopping 8 hours of battery life and thats not going to cut it for a full day. Hows the battery life on the SPOT?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is anyone running one? I'm thinking of either this or spot but spot seems to have a lot lower fees. It would be nice to have something android compatible but my SIII gets a whopping 8 hours of battery life and thats not going to cut it for a full day. Hows the battery life on the SPOT?
I got one for xmas and fired it up, works pretty slick. you can use it alone like a spot and have 3 pre programmed messages as well as your SOS message, and it will give confirmation that your message was received. you can pair it with your android/apple device and have 2 way texting, this is a great feature if you ever did have a true emergency and response is critical depending on the situation. you can give further details to facilitate a quicker response/rescue. the other part I like is that you can reduce your service contract to 99 cents/mo for like a "standby" in the months you don't use it. there are some deals out there right now if you search for them, one is free activation and first month service (up to 79.99 savings) or another we received through the ASA that gives you 15% off service plan for the life of the unit. still waiting for a response from them as to if the 2 can be used together, it appears you have to choose one or the other. if I have to pick, it will be the 15% off for life.

as soon as I get to the big hills to test it I will report further, Dave Norona has a thread with a review and he seems to like it alot. but he's a salesman....lol.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as to the spot, i have one of them also and it works great. you can run on a set of batteries for a full year, I've only changed them just because....

as for your phone not lasting 8 hrs, you can turn it off and only turn it on when you need to pair it to text if you want. I won't be using the phone part with my inreach unless I need something or there is an emergency, I'll just use the inreach like i did my spot to send a check in message.

Gforce21

Reaction score
Spot is on sale at london drugs in south common for 98.99. And there's a $50 mail in rebate available untill dec 31st.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up at Renshaw last year and a turbo buddy's dragon ate a set of reeds(did't know that was the problem on the hill). He used his in reach to text another friend that was coming up the next day to bring a spare sled. Worked slick.

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How come only text? Why can't youre android call out?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure in reach only allows text, not voice but not positive.

Sent from my f$&@ing iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom