Info on DeLorme inReach

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just read a few reviews on the SPOT beacon. and they really weren't very good, one review recommended the inReach unit.

I currently don't have anything like this, always rode with a Rhino GPS Radio, but Got thinking maybe it's time to upgrade, I like the idea that it can call for help in needed.

That being said, Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts on it? how well does it work?

The one write up says "as long as it has a clear path to the ski", does cloud cover hinder the signal or stop it? tall mountain walls?

Who deals with inReach in the Edmonton area? I'd like to compare a couple different models.

Thanks

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did research on both spot and inreach this past summer and bought an inreach. No regrets! Peace of mind for my wife and kids. You can pre-program messages into it as well it comes with preset messages so you can send a quick text with a push of a button. I bought it to keep my updated if we are running late etc. Quick message saying running late all is good just smashing some pow! Did not buy it to have a texting conversation with her on the mountain just for updates and emergencies if need be. $20 month and .99 per text. I also tell her do not respond to my texts as I am just giving her updates. Money well spent!

• Thanks
Reactions: RXN

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched from spot to inreach last summer when we sunk a rzr and no cell service.
Spot could not send a message other than Ok.
Inreach is great with the texting
I went with 31.00 a month plan. That is cheap compared to price of toys and beer.

Last edited:

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inreach operates on the superior iridium network, much better coverage.

You can link the unit via Bluetooth to your phone and type texts to send or use the unit itself to type (very slowly). It also has the SOS function if chit really hits the fan.

I got mine at London drugs in Edmonton.

• Thanks

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got one also, love it, no problem with getting service. I bought the non gps model and am thinking of selling it so i can upgrade to the gps model. Bought it at the start of sledding season, and used it on seven trips with good results allways. Can get approx 4 days without having to recharge, even though i recharge mine every night. Campers vIllage handles them also

FORD

Reaction score
I found campers were the cheapest. I got the in reach se 30.00 a month allows 100 text messages. Highly recommend it you won't be disappointed.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I have a inreach also. Love it as mentioned above its great to stay in touch with the wife at home. You can trip share by sending her a text, she can refresh it through out the day to see where you are. If you have buddies that have inreach as well you can trip share with them. This way on the mountain if you get separated you can easily locate them. I also have mine on while driving through the mountains. I always thought it was funny that usually the most dangerous roads to drive on have the least cell coverage.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ryan, further to the above, you can't go wrong with this unit. Yes, there could be times when the signal isn't sent but that is rare and you sort of have to know where you are in relation to the satellite paths. If there is a rock wall between you and the satellite path the signal won't go through. I don't find clouds a problem and I haven't found trees a problem. There are 3 pre-set messages that you can use and can modify on your computer to suit your desires. When you go to the inReach/Delorme web-site inReach Canada: The source for DeLorme inReach devices they give you some ideas about the messaging. I have modified mine as follows:

1. I am starting my trip.
2. I will be delayed but everything is okay at this time.
3. I am back at my truck now.

Those messages go to my contacts and they know what the messages basically entail. The location of where all 3 messages were sent from goes to phones and computers of my contacts. Message number 2, basically means that we might have mechanical trouble, someone in the group ran out of gas, or there is a minor medical issue, etc.. and we do not require help at this time. It would have to be pretty serious for me to push the SOS as where we ride and where most ride nowadays, the availability of SAR and some resources are weather dependent and I can have friends come and help well before serious stuff can be rolling. I have found some SAR units are much better than others at getting to the places where we ride.

This winter, my messaging has been flawless. Not so in previous winters. The tracking feature is also there if that is your forte; it can send a track to your contacts so they know exactly where you are. I don't use that feature as it is of no value and really nobody is interested in how many times I go around a tree or what meadow I'm trashing at 1:00 pm. Some think it is a great feature but they probably don't ride 60+ days a year either.

The inReach is like anything else in our electronic world; you have to work it to become familiar with it. The texting works much better on a phone paired with the inReach as the system that is programmed into the inReach is a pita. Check out the ASA and the BCSF for purchase discounts for members and you may be able to get a good deal at a sled show in the fall.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got one to post to instagram showing how rad i am and so everyone can fnd my awesome areas.....
Seriously though it is a great tool and give me piece of mind i can communicate when needed.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have Inreach with Gps (orange one). I love it. Highly recommend it. Got my unit at mountain equipment co-op.never had any issues with getting a message to send. Seems very reliable.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great units, someone in the group should have one. They are not a replacement for a Rino though. If you communicate on the hill they are slow. One will communicate with another but slowly.

Most electronics places as well as outdoor places carry them. I got mine at London Drugs. Steer clear of MEC. They are very anti snowmobile.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Thanks

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ryan,

Let me know when you are in the market - we almost always stock them in the winter :)

I'm out now, though, and probably won't reorder for a few months

• Thanks

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a next to new inreach delorme for sale if anyone is looking $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom