Industrial Accident Picture/Video/Article Thread

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Link doesn't work for me

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was an LNG plant in Shanghai in 2009. Great idea for a thread, I need safety topics for work.

Attachments

• Shanghai_LNG_explosion.jpg
    Shanghai_LNG_explosion.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 488

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Texas City Refinery explosion 2005 there were 15 fatalies 170 injured. Overfilled a tower with liquid hydrocarbon on startup, liquid pushed through and out the pressure relief system, huge vapour cloud ignited by a vehicle. Interesting read Texas City Refinery explosion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We had a big safety presentation on this at work a couple months ago. Seems crazy to think that everyone missed the fact it was overfilling but its easy to say that looking at it from the outside. Anyone have pictures of the steam line at MEG? I've always heard theres some really good pictures but never seen them myself.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny fact: All these factories take years and millions to design. Designed by engineers who have spent countless hours drafting and calculating and going to school. Engineers that in some cases have the highest level of education that one can achieve. The have achieved master fiets before and have built many things. Then they hire folks who can't afford or didn't have the grades to go to post secondary or in some cases can't even read to build and assemble these massive plants. Then they put some kid that can't see past the end of his phone to run and maintain them.

How could things go wrong?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny fact: All these factories take years and millions to design. Designed by engineers who have spent countless hours drafting and calculating and going to school. Engineers that in some cases have the highest level of education that one can achieve. The have achieved master fiets before and have built many things. Then they hire folks who can't afford or didn't have the grades to go to post secondary or in some cases can't even read to build and assemble these massive plants. Then they put some kid that can't see past the end of his phone to run and maintain them.

I'm sorry but school ain't worth diddly squat if you can't apply it, I have met some very smart engineers that have asked some very stupid questions when it comes to real world issues.

I also took engineer before realizing it wasn't for me, and one of my professor's favorite saying was "you can't push on a rope" meaning that just because the math says it is in a compression load doesn't mean its possible. Even after drilling this into our heads some still got it wrong, eventually one student demonstrated it to the others with a piece of rope, then it sunk in.

I guess what I'm getting at is there are both people that excel at their job, and some that just don't grasp the task at hand.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw this with a large storage tank at suncor they had it heated to coat the inside then never cracked a vent after putting the man hole cover back on came in the morning to see a 15million crushed pop can.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When working at the plants in Alberta ther may be some door knobs at work but when it comes to the QC door knobs are typically not allowed. There are a select few that are allowed to design and witness test proceedures and when it comes to pneumatic testing our site team is allowed to design the test pack including step up and step down pressure stages with applicable hold points for review. Office engineers give second reading to test pack for aproval. Then client reviews and approves.
Failures typically do not occur on regulated plants unless some one by passes the protocols. That is when people get hurt, some die and the door knobs go to jail.
The TNT value in the original post would likely require a clear zone of more than the 350M that the fatality occurred in.
Some tests by code of the line medium do require pneumatic tests and hydro test is not allowed because of contaminants left behind after drying complete.
I like to believe that we have enough safety checks here, I have not had a failure yet it almost 30 years of pneumatic tests.

Good thread!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A bit off topic I suppose, but it's totally blowing my mind that you can pass an apprenticeship exam without actually being able to read or interpret the questions for yourself. My mother, a retired teacher, gets paid to read questions and explain them as best as she can to apprenticeship students. Any student can request a personal exam reader. If your English is too poor, or you are not smart enough to comprehend the questions, how can you possibly be effective in your trade?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tons of people who can't read are pretty smart. My nephew is a HD Tech and a very good one. He got a reader during his TQ because he didn't want to take a chance his dyslexia would mess him up.

One of the best compressor guys I know is an Oklahoma hillbilly who spells so poorly he confuses spell check.
Some of the most asinine things I have head came from someone with a pinky ring.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Saw this with a large storage tank at suncor they had it heated to coat the inside then never cracked a vent after putting the man hole cover back on came in the morning to see a 15million crushed pop can.

Seen a 800 barrel storage tank crushed tank was being painted on a hot day and painters put a tarp over the vent and at night when it cooled down it crushed it lifted the side of it about 4' off the ground tank could withstand pressure but not vacuum they figured there was less than 5 pounds in it when it crushed

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was at a fast food restaurant and watched these two unhook and drive out. They spent the next hour using Jack alls to lift it. What a show I thought someone was going to get hurt
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422365145.259067.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422365171.994036.jpg

Top Bottom