Inake frezzing and restricting air flow

nosaj82

Reaction score
I have an 08 nytro with a rear mounted MCXpress turbo kit and im having problems with snow build up around the intake which is freezing and making ice and restricting air flow. I know there is a tunnel dump system which puts your exhaust underneath your tunnel instead of being beside the intake but im wondering if there is an easier solution for the problem? is there a way i can extend my intake with a longer tube, on a 90degree angle so its pointing away from the exhaust? and if so where would i find the proper tubing?

Thanks for your reply,

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Yes there are elbows you can install. You could do your own for pretty cheap. There are also heat shields available that mount between the exhaust and intake. Not sure where to get them but I have seen them.

Hope this helps.

nosaj82

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, i found a fix and its simply to double bag your intake therefore your first bag can not freeze to your intake, so if you know anybody with this problem let them know of this simple and cheap solution. An extra bag is only $50. Also i was told that if you extend your intake there is a good possibility that it can be kicked off without noticing and then you snuck snow in and it becomes a big problem. So ill try this double bag procedure and will keep you posted

Cheers

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If heat or hot exhaust air is hitting your intake it will still freeze off. Angle the intake away from the exhaust and it will help a lot. Use a hose with a 90 in and there is no reason it should come off. You need to get the filter out from underneath as it is probably under the seat right now, next to the exhaust. The way the kits come doesn't work in powder snow, we usually change them.

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Yeah, that double bag procedure only works with dirty girls:) lol I would go with the heat shield or the elbow. Wouldn't the double bag cause more restriction on the inlet? Could end up over speeding the turbo maybe?

nosaj82

Reaction score
Where can i get a hose with a 90 degree bend and what type of hose is it called? But yes the intake is under the seat beside the exhaust which is why it freezes. Im assuming i should be able to find hose with a 90 in it at a plumbing store or a home depot kind of place. Possible?

mynewuseddoo

Reaction score
Yeah, call around. Maybe try tuner shops that deal with custom turbos in cars too. They should have or know where you can get something nice. You could also try alpine motor sports in salmon arm. They might have a good solution or could steer you in the best direction.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my intake froze up on sunday......went from 14 psi to 8! pulled air intake screen and bag off and held it but the exhaust to melt the ice off........boost went right back up because no restriction! love it!

devil

Reaction score
8dfccfa2.jpg

i liked this setup, i would take it off after every ride and put a cap instead of the elbow so that the filter wouldn't stick up and get filled full of crap while on the trailer/truck.

Top Bottom