In trouble to start engine -20C

kosta45

Reaction score
Hello,everybody!
Just wanted to know if anybody ever had this problem:
within a temp. around -20C and below I couldn't start engine of Arctic cat T66o 4 stroke,the starter couldn't rotate the engine even with the booster,battery is OK,I could start it after I pulled the trailer with snowmobile into garage and let it stay there and warm up for 1 hour or so. After that it started the way it should. I'm brand new in snowmobiling but not stupid,it looks to me like if you try to start your car engine with the gear engaged and when it's warms up -like gear goes to neutral. Any thoughts? Any opinion would be appreciated.
Sorry for the explanation,English is not my mother tongue.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got home from McBride on the weekend and it was mother cold.Could not pull the engine over ,track wouldn't spin.The whole sled was froze like a block of ice...The is nothing wrong with your sled.

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,everybody!
Just wanted to know if anybody ever had this problem:
within a temp. around -20C and below I couldn't start engine of Arctic cat T66o 4 stroke,the starter couldn't rotate the engine even with the booster,battery is OK,I could start it after I pulled the trailer with snowmobile into garage and let it stay there and warm up for 1 hour or so. After that it started the way it should. I'm brand new in snowmobiling but not stupid,it looks to me like if you try to start your car engine with the gear engaged and when it's warms up -like gear goes to neutral. Any thoughts? Any opinion would be appreciated.
Sorry for the explanation,English is not my mother tongue.

Any snowmobile engine, or any engine for that matter is stiff to pull over in the cold(when first started).............I have never had a 4 stroke but before I grab the pull cord of my 2 stroke 700 or 800 and yank on it hard I pull slowly out on the cord a few times to loosen up the engine, that will free it up enough to pull it hard to get it to start........

Does your sled have a pull cord on it, I assume it does..............I would simply try pulling the cord out slowly a couple of times slowly to free up the engine, then the electric start might be able to turn it over then on it's own.

You wouldn't obviously have to do this every time you start the sled, only when it's cold or perhaps the first start of the day...in the cold.

It's like a truck/car engine the engine oil will be thick and makes the engine hard to turn over.............

Just my 2 cents.......

CHeers

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just cold.. A 4 stroke takes a lot more to turn it over than a 2 stroke. When it is really cold your car won't start and you have to plug it in. You don't have that option with your sled (at least not yet) There is nothing wrong with the sled, it just needs to be warmed up. If at all possible when it is really cold outside leave the sled in a warm place..

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there's a inline block heater or glue on one's.

inline coolant one would be the easy one to install

no power use an inverter

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had trouble with my Apex; I flooded it and had a had time getting it going @ -30. I had no problem turning it over but it would not catch. Sounds like you may have to heat that block. Is it a dry sump? If not then a little heat is likely all it needs. See if Cat offers a block heater of some sort for it; Yamaha offers an antifreeze circulating heater.

Good luck, Shawn

kosta45

Reaction score
Thank you, guys, for quick and helpful response. I'm thinking now about an oil change,synthetic oil could be an option,it's brand new sled with 200 miles on it,
I was really upset.
Thanks again,
Konstantin

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HOLD ON... I don't recommend changing to a Synthetic Oil until at least the third oil change.. with only 200miles on it, it is still fresh out of the box !!
you need to get the engine time to seat. I don't recommend changing to Synthetic until at least 1500 miles....

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check with your Actic Cat Dealer. I am sorry I have never had a 4 stroke snowmobile (everything else I have is) my next sled is going to be a 4 stroke. Cat makes a 0W30.... But call the Cat dealer. I think they even like to complete the first service check on the sled after 150 miles??

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they will change the oil, plugs, check for belt wear and check for loose bolts and stuff...
but of course will charge you $120 +

1tonofun

Reaction score
Thank you, guys, for quick and helpful response. I'm thinking now about an oil change,synthetic oil could be an option,it's brand new sled with 200 miles on it,
I was really upset.
Thanks again,
Konstantin
I think you have it,make sure proper or better oil in engine cranck engine 5 seconds if does not fire try again but open throttle slightly-will start.I have 03 rx1 starts all the time any temp,but has carb and choke,07 phazer is hard to start below -20 efi.find that efi is harder to start at low temp,will start after lots of cranking.

highmark600

Reaction score
You shouldn't really be running your sled when its that cold. If you really need to ride, before you try to start it, get a hair blow-dryer, and aim it on the clutches and belt. It helps the engine turn over more quickly and improves crank RPM.

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been proven wrong before and I did some research on my own for you and have proven myself wrong. LOL. Arctic Cat makes a 0W40 Synthetic Oil for their turbo 4 stroke engines and a 0W30 Synthetic "Blend" Oil designed for their non-turbo 4 strokes. (but not sure if Cat uses the Synthetic right from the start as most other 4 stroke engines don't recommend it until after break-in period)
therefore I would definately call the Cat dealer to ask them. I am assuming that you will (would) need to go in and pick up a oil filter any ways...
I hope I did not lead you down the wrong path.
Happy Trails !!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been proven wrong before and I did some research on my own for you and have proven myself wrong. LOL. Arctic Cat makes a 0W40 Synthetic Oil for their turbo 4 stroke engines and a 0W30 Synthetic "Blend" Oil designed for their non-turbo 4 strokes. (but not sure if Cat uses the Synthetic right from the start as most other 4 stroke engines don't recommend it until after break-in period)
therefore I would definately call the Cat dealer to ask them. I am assuming that you will (would) need to go in and pick up a oil filter any ways...
I hope I did not lead you down the wrong path.
Happy Trails !!

You hit it right on the head - The oil technology has changed drastically in the past 40 yrs when synthetic was known to degrade seals and cause motor issues on break in. This is no longer an issue with the new oils and motors/components as the oils do not cause te same issues and the motor components are made of different materials (tougher rubbers, tougher metal compounds, etc). Most sleds come from the factory now with synthetic in the tank.

As an FYI - Dodge delivers the Viper from the factory full of synthetic oil, for break in and everyday running. :D

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a snowmobile, there should be no issues with starting it at -20. Any decent car will start unplugged at that temperature. I started my diesel truck the other day unplugged at -30. You may have a defective starter or battery. I would have tried rotating the clutch a little bit by hand to see how free the engine was and then try the starter again.

Synthetic oils haven't gotten better for break-in, cylinder machining processes have gotten better and there is virtually no break-in to be done.

powderpusher

Reaction score
If your going to a synthetic check out the availability in your area for amsoil as i run it in a honda quad and it is parked outside all winter and i have no problem firing it up since switching to amsoil syntheticand it has been getting down to the - 30s in whitecourt the last little while

Top Bottom