In need of a Little Help 07 800R...wont hold Revs

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here it is and yea I know its an 07...lol Pulled both Clutches today and both are in good shape but when I am out I can only get the sled to pull 7000 RPM. Out of the hole she snaps like normal pulls up around 8100 for a second and then drops back to 7000. Rode Bell with Rod and we took several pulls up little bell in 3 inch of fluff clickers set to 6 and still the same jump to 8100 and then down to around 7100. Brand new belt was installed as well so no issue there. Any help you boys have would be great as right now I would rather ride my 600 as it out performs my 800

Thanks Shifty

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rave valve. take them off and inspect.

does the machine sound differant at 7000rpm?

the only other thing would be clutching...but you checked that.

although there could be hidden aspects like saged out clutch springs etcetc.

when did it start to do this? fine one ride problem the next? after the new belt?

is the new belt set at the correct height and deflection

xrsrev

Reaction score
Talk 2 dynamo joe! I think he may have a fix for your clutching problems! Excellent guy to deal with! Put his kit in and you wont believe the difference! He may also know something else you need..... Like his mountain ramps! About a $450 fix to all your problems that skidoo has with clutches! mxzrevzone.com...Joey

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im w/ maxwell sounds like a rave problem to me when was the last time you cleaned and serviced them?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk 2 dynamo joe! I think he may have a fix for your clutching problems! Excellent guy to deal with! Put his kit in and you wont believe the difference! He may also know something else you need..... Like his mountain ramps! About a $450 fix to all your problems that skidoo has with clutches! mxzrevzone.com...Joey

lol. well. i do agree. however his sled WAS working fine. so joeys kit will not solve this problem. it will perform better with his kit over stock. but his machine is not performing to stock.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
is this only noticable on hills or on the trail also. clean the raves, multi angle helix with red dalton spring in the secondary. straightend up my buddies 07 with same issue. his was doing it on the trail and the hills. launched hard but lugs down after about 50 feet. his was sinking the belt and had horrible back shift.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im w/ maxwell sounds like a rave problem to me when was the last time you cleaned and serviced them?

ill second that as well. clean the rave valves, and test the dpm.

what kind of oil your running????? semi or better!!

seen lots down at the shop with sticking rave valves from cheap 2stroke oil, or ams oil. run the BRP stuff

Rave Valves, DPM, thurmostat or the unit is getting hot and its retarding the timing, poor spark.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ill second that as well. clean the rave valves, and test the dpm.

what kind of oil your running????? semi or better!!

seen lots down at the shop with sticking rave valves from cheap 2stroke oil, or ams oil. run the BRP stuff

Rave Valves, DPM, thurmostat or the unit is getting hot and its retarding the timing, poor spark.

yeah i have had some raves apart with oils used other than brp. nasssstyyy.

people complain about the cost but brp oil does the proper job.

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Check rave valves, since that's about the rpm they drop to when they stick and sounds like it is intermittant, so that would make sense. Then check rave valve hoses doing from solenoid to each valve (check all connections in the circuit as it uses very light air pressure to change rave). You are looking for a hose that is off or leaking. So give each one a slight pull by hand to see if it pops off. On my 2007 on the rave solenoid above the mag side carb (if i remember the location correctly, it was somewhere above the mag carb area) I could easily jiggle the hose on the fitting and it popped right off with hardly any pulling (scared me how easy it came off). I think the hose was the wrong size for the steel nipple, almost like a 1/8th barb and a 1/4 inch hose on top. there was no way that would hold any pressure whatsoever. To fix, I read on dootalk and added a piece of small fuel line that I had to work by hand to get it to stick onto the nipple (used some lube too), then the hose had to be worked onto that, so it was a solid seal.

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
Check rave valves, since that's about the rpm they drop to when they stick and sounds like it is intermittant, so that would make sense. Then check rave valve hoses doing from solenoid to each valve (check all connections in the circuit as it uses very light air pressure to change rave). You are looking for a hose that is off or leaking. So give each one a slight pull by hand to see if it pops off. On my 2007 on the rave solenoid above the mag side carb (if i remember the location correctly, it was somewhere above the mag carb area) I could easily jiggle the hose on the fitting and it popped right off with hardly any pulling (scared me how easy it came off). I think the hose was the wrong size for the steel nipple, almost like a 1/8th barb and a 1/4 inch hose on top. there was no way that would hold any pressure whatsoever. To fix, I read on dootalk and added a piece of small fuel line that I had to work by hand to get it to stick onto the nipple (used some lube too), then the hose had to be worked onto that, so it was a solid seal.

+1 On he vacuum line to the inner RAVE solenoid. THEY FALL OFF. Cut the hose off at the end of the clamp and the use side cutters to crip the clamp more the put the hose back on the nipple-signs of oily spray on the carbs and wiring is the "tell tale' sign..

sledhead800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother had the same problem with his 07 800r the RAVE solenoid on the trottle side and when it came off in went between the brake and the frame and it put oil all over the brake flick every were. but when he put it back on, it was same as day and night. :beer:

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is this only noticable on hills or on the trail also. clean the raves, multi angle helix with red dalton spring in the secondary. straightend up my buddies 07 with same issue. his was doing it on the trail and the hills. launched hard but lugs down after about 50 feet. his was sinking the belt and had horrible back shift.

Thanks for all the help guys put two new springs and will be cleaning out the RAVEs in the morning before the tour.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i have had some raves apart with oils used other than brp. nasssstyyy.

people complain about the cost but brp oil does the proper job.

And when you consider the cost of these issues the BRP oil is cheap. 4700kms with doo synthetic and never a problem with sticking rave valves. Pulled em to cleam them once and it wasn't needed.

tothebar

Reaction score
I've got an 07 Xrs and I was riding in valemount this wknd and my sled was working Awsome! 8200 rpms and rippin! As tge day progressed I notices my rpms we dwindling, by the end of the day I was down to 7500 or lower, I turned up my clickers and there was little to no difference. So I took it home and pulled the rave caps off and pinned it on tge stand and the raves are opening all the way, I can't figure out why I can't get no rpm!! Any help here would be great!!!

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found with mine I had to replace the rollers in the primary a couple times not cheap 30 bucks a roller but it helped. If they are even a bit loose, was told that they will drag. The old rollers wore out real easy due to the material in them, but the last set I bought had been changed I think to help prevent them from wearing so easy.

Thanks for all the help guys put two new springs and will be cleaning out the RAVEs in the morning before the tour.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry wrong post that was for you (tothebar)

I found with mine I had to replace the rollers in the primary a couple times not cheap 30 bucks a roller but it helped. If they are even a bit loose, was told that they will drag. The old rollers wore out real easy due to the material in them, but the last set I bought had been changed I think to help prevent them from wearing so easy.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got an 07 Xrs and I was riding in valemount this wknd and my sled was working Awsome! 8200 rpms and rippin! As tge day progressed I notices my rpms we dwindling, by the end of the day I was down to 7500 or lower, I turned up my clickers and there was little to no difference. So I took it home and pulled the rave caps off and pinned it on tge stand and the raves are opening all the way, I can't figure out why I can't get no rpm!! Any help here would be great!!!

Bushings and rollers in the TRA are junk but check that rave solenoid hose on mag side . Hard to see as it is black but that is a known problem with these sleds,

tothebar

Reaction score
It won't rev past 8000 even on the stand, the raves are deffinately opening. I have an engine light on and a code 9-9 and the sled doesn't idle for long before it slowly dies, seems like it loads up. but it had these problems even when the sled was working and would still pull rpm... I did a comp test 135 on pto side 130 mag. Is it possible the timing has retarded itself somehow? Just seems weird it wil only rev 8000 on the stand. Across the yard it's anywhere between 7200 and 7600

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friends 08 800R did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. Turned out his accessory fuse popped, and for what ever reason it affected the motor. Made no sense to us but as soon as we replaced it the engine light went away and pulled 8200 on the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGHORN 88

Reaction score
Did you ever find your problem/ Had mine at the dealer, had primary rebuilt, all electrical checks out, still will not pull over 7500. could it be weak spark at high RPM. Dealer was not able to find problem.

Top Bottom