Importing motorcycle frame from the USA

bodean

Reaction score
I have a duel purpose bike that has a non repairable status(bent frame), I have found a used frame with a clean title in the USA and was wondering if anyone knows if I rebuild the bike if I can register it for the street again and how I would go about doing so.

Thanks

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a duel purpose bike that has a non repairable status(bent frame), I have found a used frame with a clean title in the USA and was wondering if anyone knows if I rebuild the bike if I can register it for the street again and how I would go about doing so.

Thanks

I would think that frame would need to be imported like a running bike, so you would import it like it is complete, get the RIV papers, probably a recall letter from manufacturer, (at the border just say it was a good deal lol) then get it home re build it and go do the out of province inspection and your all good...

now that is my creative way of thinking but best bet to check with our gov just to be safe or try my way:d

or here
Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Importing a Vehicle

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or maybe try u-build and register as home made

here are the details with email and phone #'s,,, the RCMP can issue vin #'s then an inspection is required, tell them exactly what you are doing and i am sure there is a way to get it done...

from the site:
Government of Alberta Ministry of Transportation: Frequently Asked Questions

2.I am interested in building a special construction/kit vehicle for road use in Alberta. How is a special construction vehicle registered? What requirements must the vehicle meet to be able to be registered for road use? Where do I get it tested? What title is the vehicle given?
New vehicle construction standards are the domain of Transport Canada. Transport Canada's Canadian Motor Vehicle Act and its attendant legislation may be found at Transport Canada. New cars sold in Alberta must have a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a final compliance label and a National Safety Mark (NSM). If you intend to manufacture new cars for sale in Alberta you must be authorized by Transport Canada to affix a final compliance label and NSM. You may wish to contact Harry Baergen, Transport Canada's Regulation Enforcement Officer, at (613) 998-2320, or via e-mail baergeh@tc.gc.ca

Alberta's current vehicle standards legislation is intended to ensure that vehicles are maintained in proper operating condition. Alberta's Traffic Safety Act and Vehicle Equipment Regulation may be found at the Queen's Printer.

A kit car built for personal use is generally described as a "homebuilt" vehicle, some Canadian provinces use the term "U-built" to describe these same kit cars. In Alberta an assigned VIN is required to register a homebuilt vehicle. These assigned VINs can be obtained through your local law enforcement agency's auto theft officers. If you are in Calgary or Edmonton you can contact the municipal police service, and in other areas of the province you can contact the RCMP. The police will require that you submit invoices to demonstrate where you purchased the components used to assemble your homebuilt vehicle and will subsequently require you to have a vehicle safety inspection done before affixing the assigned VIN to your vehicle. Dependant on the date of completion of your vehicle, this safety inspection will ensure you vehicle complies with the Traffic Safety Act.

If you decide to construct or purchase a kit car, please contact the Vehicle Inspection Program Manager for further information.

Top Bottom