importing boats

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how this works. i have found a nice unit that is already imported. priced good. however he has never licenced it. i am being led to believe by canada customs or whatever they are that he is the only one who can registered it because he was the importer. then it can be sold same as any other unit. this guy is telling me he does this all the time and he has never had to licence a boat before he sold it just gave buyer a bill of sale and go their seperate ways. has anyone ever done this before and how big of a pain in the butt is it. thanks.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not done it personally but i have bought sleds that were US. No reg was ever done. Just had the customs paperwork and the paper from crappy tire that is where the out of country was done. All they do is sign saying that the vins match.

Here is a link that may help you if you have not already read it

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well me and my buddy went down to idaho and picked up a sprint boat down there and we took his boat trailer down there because some boat trailers dont have the 17 digit sin number to get them across the line and if they dont have 17 digit the trailer stays there and for the boat make sure u have all your paper work in place and the paperwork for the bank draft and if u pay cash u are only alowed 10000 bucks on you then u have to declare the rest and youy paper work for the boat has to be faxed to the border crossing 48 hours for u get there or its a fine otherwise it took us 15 min at the border so good luck and i cant stress enough get your paper work all together before u get to the border crossing keeps things strees free:d:d:d:d

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oops should have read more the dam boats here already oh well thats how u get one across the border haaaa me bad:d

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I brought a Malibu over a couple years ago..all though when i sold it i had everything already completed. Inspection was done at Crappy tire, what a joke that was...it took the guy longer to put a smoke in his mouth than do the inspection...which i was okay with. The licensing i did just on Calgary trail North across from the Dodge dealer & close to the old Thunder dome bar...can't remember the name of it but it was real easy as well if you had all the paper work.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should be all good, the trailer is like a car but the boat is simple. I just did it 3 months ago boat was already in canada.

bring a Bill of sale and ID to any gov outlet and the will issue you a boat registrion number good across canada at NO charge (its crazy no charge at a gov office) here is the link for the form very simple I was also skeptical.

but the trailer needs all the info like a car or sled riv etc...

all the info is there

then go get your numbers printed and you are set.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i understand how to licence it but the issue is that the guy imported it last year. govt. says has to be licensed within 45 days or unit is an illegal immigrant so to speak. then unit cannot get back across border and cannot be licensed in canada.:confused::confused: what does a guy do. i think we will stay clear and keep lookin.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THE boat I bought was in canada for 6 months with nothing.

I brought the bill of sale and id and the form from the gov

zero issues took 10 minutes. boats are different then trailers rvs sleds etc. I have brought sleds over as well

then I went to register the trailer with the previous owners name on RIV sticker and other documents and a bill of sale to me and its now alberta registered. He did complete the inspection within 45 days on trailer but no inspection is requireed on a pleasure craft. trust me I just did it and the boat was not cheap lol.

just pop into a gov office and confirm but it says it all on my previous link.

I went a step further and contacted the previous owner form the states for piece of mind to make sure it was not sunk or something.

once they issue a canadain pleasure craft number its good to go in canada

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I've never registered a boat...........period........

my boat is a california boat...probably never been registered in canada..........

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never registered a boat...........period........

my boat is a california boat...probably never been registered in canada..........

LOL, IN alberta you are probably fine but now with the new driver license thingy I am thinking some fish and feathers may bug some peeps on the water.
In BC you will see more cops on the water but I never installed my numbers on my last boat and no issues ever in 4 years around AB and BC.

I will not install numbers on my new boat either unless harrassed by the cops, but I have the paperwork on board

p.s. ITS FREE BOGGER go do it. it takes 5 minutes super easy. but thats why we dont get harrassed I think, no income generated for the gov so why bother us.

I just got my pretty drivers license in the mail,,,, money grabbers

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a big issue for me on the licenseing thing but wifey is a cross the t's dot the i's kinda girl. found another one though in red deer going to look at tonight.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
not a big issue for me on the licenseing thing but wifey is a cross the t's dot the i's kinda girl. found another one though in red deer going to look at tonight.

So is mine..... I hope she doesn't read this thread, sometimes ignorance is bliss (for me) not sure she knows you can register a boat..... hell my trailer still has the previous owners plate on it.....:eek:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yeah very true man but when you go to sell it life is much easier with all the t's crossed and i's dotted. Its like getting a inspection done on a basement no problem until you sell it or it burns down and you have no insurance.

keep in mind if you hurt or kill someone on the water with no license on the boat I think you are up chit crick with out a paddle and most peeps on the water have money so it would be a big law suit. just a thought for something that costs nothing but a bit of time.

and hey I love bending rules but this one is a easy fix with the right solution..

lets see some pics????

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is mine..... I hope she doesn't read this thread, sometimes ignorance is bliss (for me) not sure she knows you can register a boat..... hell my trailer still has the previous owners plate on it.....:eek:

bahaha that plate is worth $80 lol,,,, just call the registry and see if the vin to the trailer has been regi'd in AB if so then that is easy as well. one time plate fee and you can transfer back and forth to other trailers. lol you already know that I am thinking.

come on f'ing warm weather already.....

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are intrestid in importing a boat you should talk to my dad. our last 3 boats and our last 2 trucks have been imported from somwere in the states, my dad knows people that can ship your merchindice to shelby montana (prety much the boarder). he also knows all the rules and restrictions. if your intrestid P.M. me and ill give you is email adress.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless things changed there is nothing to do on the boat. the trailer has to go through the same importing procedure as an RV trailer.

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So after all was said and done, magnet and. I didn't buy the imported boat. They imported under the sellers wife's name and wanted to sell under a different company name, and said they would not supply any of the papers they have from when they imported it, as it is not our concern to have any of the papers for it's import and neither the husband nor wife wanted their names on any of the papers to trace it back to them. The husband said they imported and sold 20 boats already this year, and said no one needs the import documents, then the wife turned around and said this is the first one they have ever brought over and she doesn't want her name on any papers to do with this boat.
So ummmmm... Went to Red Deer and bought a different one instead.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Top Bottom