IMPORTANT!!! Petition to stop privatization of BC's timber supply areas

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BC government is up to their usual sneaky tactics:

Please sign and share the following petition. There are also email addresses on this page that will get your voice directly to the BC Liberals. If you care about our province's resources being handed over to commercial interests, then this affects you. Take the time to sign the petition and send a one line email to your government officials...

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/St...sts_by_voting_against_Section_24_Bill_8/?pv=2

Why this is important

This week in the B.C. Legislature, the government is tabling Bill 8. The bill’s Section 24 would hand over our remaining public forests (Timber Supply Areas) to private forestry corporations in perpetuity. Once handed over (converted into Tree Farm Licenses), tenure over this land is considered an asset of these corporations. They can then sue British Columbia for compensation if anything threatens their profits. This privatization, being planned without consultation or fanfare, is a radical move and one that threatens the opportunity of the province to responsibly manage our forest lands. Furthermore, we have no control over who owns these corporations. Please support this petition.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I read it. It's someones opinion. That's why I wanted to read the actual legislation. The way I read it....seems all they're doing is converting existing Forest licenses into TFL's. I believe the management rules on TFL's are actually more strict than on FL's, but I could be wrong. Anyway.....didn't come here to argue. I'll go away now.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I read it. It's someones opinion. That's why I wanted to read the actual legislation. The way I read it....seems all they're doing is converting existing Forest licenses into TFL's. I believe the management rules on TFL's are actually more strict than on FL's, but I could be wrong. Anyway.....didn't come here to argue. I'll go away now.[/QUOT

I agree. They do a lot of things that make me scratch my head but not this. It is the minning we need to worry about they already close areas and put up gates, why no talks about that I am not sure. They make such a mess, shut down areas and when the stock crashes the walk away.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is good stuff lol. I have heard of people saying that this will provide the forestry companies with ownership of the land and then they will ban all other users. I live 5km from TFL 18 and it has more Forestry Recreation sites in it than any other comparably sized area I have experienced. It has registered snowmobile and ATV trails, great fishing, and all sorts of public access. Area based tenure also creates a lot more incentive for the forestry companies to manage it sustainably long term as opposed to volume based licenses.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a lot easier to understand the government's intent if the amendments/ Bills were actually in English. It's so fragmented you can't understand what it means or why it's being tabled without a degree in legalese and politics.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a lot easier to understand the government's intent if the amendments/ Bills were actually in English. It's so fragmented you can't understand what it means or why it's being tabled without a degree in legalese and politics.
I agree, I had a tough time following it. Nice to see they are going to involve the public more for discussion. Just as long as it doesn't go to referendum where everyone can flex there muscles like they did to get rid of the HST.

Last edited:

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of land on Vancouver Island given to private logging companies over the years. Logs all gone and all access roads are gated and posted no trespassing. Aren't governments awesome?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I read it. It's someones opinion. That's why I wanted to read the actual legislation. The way I read it....seems all they're doing is converting existing Forest licenses into TFL's. I believe the management rules on TFL's are actually more strict than on FL's, but I could be wrong. Anyway.....didn't come here to argue. I'll go away now.[/QUOT

I agree. They do a lot of things that make me scratch my head but not this. It is the minning we need to worry about they already close areas and put up gates, why no talks about that I am not sure. They make such a mess, shut down areas and when the stock crashes the walk away.
But the Chinese mining companies that the Feds seem to favour will surely have more respect for the land and users.........

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, here it is:

Bill 8 – 2013: Miscellaneous Statutes Amendment Act, 2013

Not sure why turning existing FL's into TFL's is so bad though.???????????

I couldn't really find a smoking gun...But i hate reading legislation so to be honest i breezed through it... but this is my concern and it's already happening or happened in area's of the province

try going to area's on Southern Vancouver Island like "nanaimo river camp" or look at the USA soon the forest companies will be telling you that you can't hunt/fish or use their land for sledding ect! BS... if that happens im going to be the worst offender! It will get to the point that there are gates everywhere "in the name of safety so that no one can see what's going on!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my previous post that the land the govt gave to these private companies was originally for TFL purposes. The govt recently changed the law to allow the companies to create real estate companies, to subdivide the land and sell it off!

Aren't we taxpayers generous?

Top Bottom