if you love winter you'll love my winter job :D

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work at the local ski hill, we're situated on the north SK riverbank, nice steeps slopes,
and we have unlimited water from the river for making snow.

so here we go, I've got very good pics from this year yet, but were just getting back into the swing of things, so hopefully better pics to come soon.

I am one of three operators that drive the snow groomers, leveling out snow made from the snow making guns or grooming the hill for skiiers the next morning.

we have two machines, a '95 270hp one and a '06 350hp one, the 350hp one we just got delivered a couple weeks ago.

alright i love these machines they go anywhere when ever :d
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mdx42s7jYc&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzimXDmJY0&feature=related[/media]

so i'll start off with a bit of snowmaking
We have 18+ 30ft tall snow guns ( straight pipe with small nozzels on the end)

At the base of the hill, water and compressed air are piped up and all over the hill in underground lines. Were each snow gun is, there are two valves, one for air one, for water, we run hoses from the vavles to the base of the gun, then the air and water both go into the gun(pipe) and mix and spray out at the top through the nozzels as a mist, and while its falling to the ground it freezes and voila we have snow, all that remains is for the groomers (we refer to them as Cats) to do is level out the piles made by the guns suitable or skiing on

Attachments

• traktrs008.jpg
    traktrs008.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 252
  • traktrs011.jpg
    traktrs011.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 250
  • traktrs012.jpg
    traktrs012.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 249
  • traktrs013.jpg
    traktrs013.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 253
  • Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Picture 054.jpg
    Picture 054.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 23

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well that was about it for snowmaking, now this is where i come in :D jhluygfye017.jpg

Picture 042.jpg

GetAttachment.aspx.jpg

GetAttachment.aspx (2).jpg

1 001.jpg

13361_1281084700905_1043676754_905269_1404333_n.jpg
ahh yea this is what happens when the driver's not careful when pushing snow, he ends up with a broken window lol, and yes they SUCK:rant:
jhluygfye022.jpg

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, Recognize Rabbit hill from the pics. Spend all my winter out there skiing! Do you do the park?

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope, i dont touch the park, we have other guys that build it, the park is honestly a nightmare for me, only because of all the backing up thats involved. so i avoid it as much as i can lol

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want your job. At a different resort, but you definatly live the dream. Work all night and have all day to ski or sled.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get into running cats?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Nice and thanks! I wished we had a couple of those SnowCats out here....but being in the infancy of trail grooming in the mountains is always a balancing act (operating costs, maintenance, grants, etc.....). It is always a chore climbing the hills, levelling avalanche debris, grooming a 2' dump and keeping things in tip-top shape.

A picture of our old girl (an 1982 Pisten Bulley 200D) that just keeps purring along; always cool to smell the diesel and listen to the constant purr.....

Attachments

• Groomer4.jpg
    Groomer4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 110

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a fun job :d

the chance of getting the job is very slim, the way i got in was because my old man has worked their for 30 years now, he is the grooming and snowmaking supervisor, so it was quite easy for me to get my foot in the door :d

.... what area were you thinking of going to? these pics were from when i was at lake louise

Attachments

• 1 019.jpg
    1 019.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1 024.jpg
    1 024.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 1023.jpg
    1023.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 1 023.jpg
    1 023.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 29

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice and thanks! I wished we had a couple of those SnowCats out here....but being in the infancy of trail grooming in the mountains is always a balancing act (operating costs, maintenance, grants, etc.....). It is always a chore climbing the hills, levelling avalanche debris, grooming a 2' dump and keeping things in tip-top shape.

A picture of our old girl (an 1982 Pisten Bulley 200D) that just keeps purring along; always cool to smell the diesel and listen to the constant purr.....

its just a little 200? lol, yea i'm a big fan of the pb's they cost lots to fix, plus i couldnt handle having a steering wheel in front at me for 12 hours, what did they have for engines at that time? my BR350 has a CAT C9

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a fun job :d

the chance of getting the job is very slim, the way i got in was because my old man has worked their for 30 years now, he is the grooming and snowmaking supervisor, so it was quite easy for me to get my foot in the door :d

.... what area were you thinking of going to? these pics were from when i was at lake louise

That seems to be the way things operate for those gigs. I would really like to do it in Kimberley but that line up is huge. Frankly, if I could get a gig doing that anywhere, I would jump at the chance, provided it was in BC or the Alberta rockies.

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope, i dont touch the park, we have other guys that build it, the park is honestly a nightmare for me, only because of all the backing up thats involved. so i avoid it as much as i can lol

Ahh, I can rip the mountain. But around here the Park is always fun!

Top Bottom