idling and starting - '96 Formula Z 583

Formula Z

Reaction score
Couple of questions for the group...

I have a 1996 Skidoo Formula Z 583. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tuning, but mine idles at 3800 rpm, seems way to high - any comments? I haven't messed around with it yet, I assume there are idle screws on each carb for adjustment - anyone familiar how to adjust?

Also, to start it, it starts on the second pull with a single prime, but will stall after only 5 - 10 seconds. Then I have to keep doing this about 10 - 15 times before it will actually maintain idling. If I try to give it some throttle while it is dying, it stalls anyways. It does not have a choke, as I think this would help the problem. Any thoughts on this?

Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!:)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First time run this year? My suggestion is to totally clean your carbs. remove them dismantle them and clean and inspect all the passages and blow out the circuits. Seems like a lot of work but you have to start somewhere. Freas fuel and put in some stuff called SEA FOAM. Cleans out fuel systems real good. Get it at NAPA

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Idle screws are the big ones on the left sides of each carb about half way down the side. If you look at the carb from the left side of the sled (clutch side), you will want to turn them counter clockwise (or so the top of the idle screw rotates forwards towards the motor). This is backing them out and this will lower the idle. Back them out each EQUALLY, and only go one turn at a time on each carb, then switch and do the other carb, then switch back to the first carb and back it out another turn, etc etc.

Primer - yes, you need to keep priming it until it stays running. Typical procedure is to prime it once or twice, pull primer all the way out but don't push it in, pull cord and start sled, once sled is running and starts to die, slowly push primer in, then repeat. Mine usually takes about 4-5 primes like this and it stays running, but if your primer is starting to go it might take a little more to keep it running.

Formula Z

Reaction score
thanks for the tips. I will start with the simplest ones and see what happens.

planning to take her out on the weekend.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam having the same problem with my sons 583 I just clean the carbs out
I got my info out BRP manual
Idle speed screw must be completely unscrewed it must not contact throttle slide
turn the idle speed screw clockwise until it contacts the throttle slide then
continue turning two additional turns repeat on the other side
recheck carburetor synchronization adjust idle byturning both idle speed
screws of the same amount
formula stx,stx(2) 1800-2000 rpm
formula z 583 1500-1800
stx 1 turn air screw +/- 1/8
formula z .75 turn +/- 1/8
I hope this helps

lidster95

Reaction score
i got same problem but i got my carbs completely cleaned inside and out , put them on and only way it starts is if plugs are dry . i pull it over 3 or 4 times and its fludding itself . i take spark plugs out after its fludded . and they are soaked . so i will clean them off and dry them off put it in starts first flick and dont take its gas very good at all . then shuts off again and wont offer to start no more until i take plugs out again

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your float level. And while you're at it, replace the inlet needles and seats with brass (not Viton tipped) units.

Top Bottom