Ice Age x-brace

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THIS IS DIRECTLY FROM THE ICE-AGE WEBPAGE.... THE LAST LINE SUMS UP WHAT THEY HAVE ENCOUNTERED(AS PER ENGINEERS):

Product Description

Strengthen your stock or IceAge rails with the IceAge billet X-Brace. Provides increased torsional strength that far exceeds that of cross shafts or rail stiffners alone! Designed to mount between the rear suspension torque arm and rear idler wheels this brace has a massive footprint providing great rigidity in the rear suspension.
The X-Brace has light profile but massive footprint, providing far more strength then current cross shafts. This brace is designed to fit all OEM rails regardless of window patterns. The mini stiffner outside of the rails couples with the inner X allowing us sandwich the rail, providing maximum support of the rail beam.
The X-Brace can be bolted on essentially wherever space allows.

* Please check fitament before ordering
** Brace is 6.75" front to back, ensure proper clearance
*** Make sure brace has clearance at full suspension travel as to not cause damage to brace and rear suspension
**** This brace will dampen the affect of the Pro-Motion or T-Motion suspension as it limits flex in the rails.

Not surprised…in this day and age..finite model analysis is used a lot more than it has been in the past. The front arm was surely developed using this as the mechanical properties and placement of the flattened tube without a doubt has some calculation behind it. While it could be retrofitted to previous skids, I would imagine this arm was developed in conjunction with the rest of the skid and the properties of it as an assembly. The response and feel of the front arm was likely modeled with a designed amount of torsional movement behind it.

Kruchy

Reaction score
I am debating putting mine on. Your saying you cant tell any difference in how the skid works?

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blah Blah Blah...Do you really think that even if it does affect the flex in the t-motion that anyone on here could really tell the difference?? Heres an idea how about standing on one side of the running board and pulling the sled over on a hard surface before the stiffener is in and again after its in.. I would bet my last paycheck that you wont tell a difference!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blah Blah Blah...Do you really think that even if it does affect the flex in the t-motion that anyone on here could really tell the difference?? Heres an idea how about standing on one side of the running board and pulling the sled over on a hard surface before the stiffener is in and again after its in.. I would bet my last paycheck that you wont tell a difference!

Exactly

Demon700

Reaction score
I was just reading through this and had to give it some thought a bit. I agree that we will not probably tell the difference in the motion or feel, maybe a bit in spring snow or on hard pack. The rails do have to more slightly independently of each other in order to provide the "flex" action. That's why Doo had too split the front arm, otherwise if this arm was not split they would not get the full use of the t-motion in the back (or twist the front arm). So there is an ever so slight twist to the skid when you lean it over and even more so when you really compress the skid because there is more force acting on the one side and more weight pushing on the leaning (while carving or turning) side suspension rail. Ice Age States that their "Pro-Motion" only works with stock suspensions and not aftermarket, this may be because all aftermarket skids have a solid shaft front torque arm, while factory Polaris has split arm like the t-motion has.

Again we are probably talking like thousandths of an inch here, just so it doesn't bind up.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on a side not i'll have a set of 174 T3 rails for sale soon for the guys that dont want to add any bracing, should be able to cover my iceage rail cost, im betting they wont last a month in my garage lol

mxracer78

Reaction score
on a side not i'll have a set of 174 T3 rails for sale soon for the guys that dont want to add any bracing, should be able to cover my iceage rail cost, im betting they wont last a month in my garage lol

Still have your rails for sale?

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think this brace might help prevent breakage of that rear pivot arm?
As far as effecting the movement of the skid, it would have to be very minimal. Probably as much as it would if used on a older, non-Tmotion skid. All the designed movement of the Tmotion is above the rails....Heim joint and front arm. Yes, there will be some flex between the rails, but the design keeps the rails parallel at all times and the X brace simply reinforces this.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think this brace might help prevent breakage of that rear pivot arm?
As far as effecting the movement of the skid, it would have to be very minimal. Probably as much as it would if used on a older, non-Tmotion skid. All the designed movement of the Tmotion is above the rails....Heim joint and front arm. Yes, there will be some flex between the rails, but the design keeps the rails parallel at all times and the X brace simply reinforces this.

That's a good point and your Probly right because it would eliminate torsional flex in that arm

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so why couldnt you just put a couple of braces across i think i have a bunch that i took off of some old skids, that would like the two rails together and reduce the flex just a thought

young-gun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424041999.426108.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424042025.928821.jpg

I gotta get x-brace powder coated now if I decide to install it again.

Top Bottom