I told the guy that I was working for to go piss up a rope

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its really easy to jump on dispatchers and owners of these small companies and point fingers but these guys are in a real catch 22 situation.Sure they could just call up and cancel the load and then they can pretty much count on never getting a call back from that coustomer again.
Then the drivers and lease op's are bitching that they arnt getting loads.
The owners next option is to hire more trucks, well in these days more trucks mean less loads overall for everyone because of the lackof and uncertainty of work. What happens next, one guess, the drivers are standing around bitching that there arent enough loads.
As a contractor you, yourself are a small business owner, so i sugest you suck it up like the rest of us,either get another driver so you can offer your employer consistent safe service,or make the choice to go work for a nine to five outfit and take your own revenue loss, Nobody is forcing you to work anywhere.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its really easy to jump on dispatchers and owners of these small companies and point fingers but these guys are in a real catch 22 situation.Sure they could just call up and cancel the load and then they can pretty much count on never getting a call back from that coustomer again.
The owners next option is to hire more trucks, well in these days more trucks mean less loads overall for everyone because of the lackof and uncertainty of work. What happens next, one guess, the drivers are standing around bitching that there arent enough loads.
As a contractor you, yourself are a small business owner, so i sugest you suck it up like the rest of us,either get another driver so you can offer your employer consistent safe service,or make the choice to go work for a nine to five outfit and take your own revenue loss, Nobody is forcing you to work anywhere.

I already have another driver lined up ..he is doing one more trip for Northwind then I will do one on one off .... then Eric will be my second driver .

in the mean time I will not run ilegally for anyone period ....I don't need to suck up anything

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

Wow I guess you are in the industry......you hit the nail on the head

When they want to work there isn't enough good work/no work....when they don't wanna work there is too much work

Like I always say I need "truck drivers" not guys with a class 1.....and trust me there is a difference.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may go piss up the same rope :eek:

You make it pretty easy to see where the problem is. I deal with these same issues except from the other side everyday. It pretty easy to jump on here name names. and call out these guys who are signing your paycheques, go out and find your own work, start your own saftey programs and deal with guys like yourself every day its a real treat.

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh did i mention that I am supposed to take my time off 1000 miles away from home.......I was also in the hospital last thursday night because of an asthma attack ...and they said that the hospital stay should have been considered my time off ........you have got to be kidding me

sorry kids but my wife and 4 kids come first ......I don't need to work that bad

I own my own truck I don't work for anybody but myself , I pay everything , the only thing that they are doing is filling my trailer.

and i don't need any more negativity in my life

so keep your bullchit comments to your self

Last edited:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can tell a trucker from a mile away,but you cant tell him much. YAWN iam out.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Head down bum up, shut up. Just the way it is, if you dont like it you can always start your own company....

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing for certain, there is an enormous amount of hypocrisy in the trucking industry, particularly in the oilpatch segment.:eek:

Safety this and safety that, "wear your seatbelt to drive across the lease"

"Turn your phone off, and keep it off until your parked" Etc.

Then the same consultant will ask you to drive 11 hrs after you've already been working 14 hrs and hurry back for another load.... do that for a winter or 10 and then try and take them seriously at a (hours of service) meeting....:d

And if anything happens, it's the drivers legal responsibility...

And then call him a whiner when he says he needs a day off and the truck needs service/repairs... Yep whinny truckers that only work 4500 hrs a year...

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running out of hours and being caught at a scales gets you a few thing.

1. Shut down
2. A nice report on your saferstat<--changing this again to some other name
3. a PO'ed customer
4. a conversation in the office about how you can avoid these types of things
5. A driver stuck at a scale with nothing but what he has in his truck.

It is very simple to avoid all of this

DO NOT SEND DRIVERS DOWN THE ROAD WITHOUT HOURS

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing for certain, there is an enormous amount of hypocrisy in the trucking industry, particularly in the oilpatch segment.:eek:

Safety this and safety that, "wear your seatbelt to drive across the lease"

"Turn your phone off, and keep it off until your parked" Etc.

Then the same consultant will ask you to drive 11 hrs after you've already been working 14 hrs and hurry back for another load.... do that for a winter or 10 and then try and take them seriously at a (hours of service) meeting....:d

And if anything happens, it's the drivers legal responsibility...

And then call him a whiner when he says he needs a day off and the truck needs service/repairs... Yep whinny truckers that only work 4500 hrs a year...
yep....the patch is a LOT different than running slab tho, there are lots of ways to hide/create km's and hours when you are off road. rig moving and crane outfits I work for actually hire ex DOT officers to help us skirt the system and make it all look good on paper by instructing us on how to properly fill out logs without getting in trouble. just try calling a dispatcher and telling him you are out of hours in the patch, not only will there be a stunned silence on the other end, but chances are you won't be hauling for them much....lol.

the hours of service laws were created for highway hauling, point "A" to point "B", and are inherently difficult to adhere to when 80% of the work is miles from any maintained road systems. just look at the crane guys, they drive 3 or 4 hours to a location, then work for 12 hrs and cannot leave the lease because they are "houred out". don't matter if they only did 2 lifts in that period and slept in the crane the rest of the time.

I feel bad for the highway guys in this economic BS we're going thru, go hard or go home seems to be the mantra, complain and chances are you'll be sitting. there is no way (other than running 2 logs) to explain or try and hide overage on hours/kms when you are hauling a set route. when I have to run highway, she's by the book for sure. I doubt there is a DOT out there that can estimate how long it took me to go from chinchaga to rainbow lake the "back way".....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
16 hrs a day is 16 hrs if you start the truck and sit 16 hrs later your done. This law was written to stop the guys from working 11 hours then getting in and driving for 13 hours, but some guys still do it I will NEVER ask/tell a guy to do this but some smaller outfits still do. I will not send a guy out that cannot complete the whole trip from A to B back to A. Houring down on the road in a kick in shorts.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious since we are this wonderfull:rolleyes: topic of hours, dispatchers and drivers.

If s**t goes wrong what is the order of the fines? Where does the legal side of it go? Who is gonna get the biggest pile of it in their lap?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know how how to lie, cheat and steal to make my log book look legal, but that's not the point.

When a serious accident happens, the driver is the one going to jail.

Everybody pushes/pressures the driver and the driver knows he will be starved of work if he doesn't do it. We all know it, that's the way it is.

These days we have GPS on our trucks and in our phones.

We have truck hrs, kms, payroll, logbooks, card lock times and billed out hours...

Any oil field trucker will admit NONE of these things would match in a serious accident investigation.

As an industry, we have to make some changes, actually, alot of changes.

Better planing by the customers, ie. the consultants order trucks last minute ASAP when they knew the well needed casing, or drilling fluids, or fuel etc.

Sometimes it's hard to tell who's lying, maybe the dispatcher, maybe the consultant ?? But somebody is lying.

Countless times a big rush load isn't even needed for another day or two... I worked all day and night to get a load out to a rig and they don't need it till tomorrow, hmm.

How about dispatchers sending the last truck back at night out only a few hrs later... Why you wonder, because he's already been there and that is easier for the dispatcher, easier than explaining to a different driver where the rig is...

Don't even get me going on the company parties when all drivers are still working.:eek:

A little more effort from the customers and dispatchers would help alot.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious since we are this wonderfull:rolleyes: topic of hours, dispatchers and drivers.

If s**t goes wrong what is the order of the fines? Where does the legal side of it go? Who is gonna get the biggest pile of it in their lap?
O/O will take the fall.....driver has final say in ANY load hauled in the eyes of the law. we all laughed in the GOTI course when they told us that. company owned truck, company takes the brunt but driver will get his share too.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and it's not so much the law that will get you, it will be the civil suit afterwards in a loss of life incident.

Top Bottom