I got to see a Wolf Pack up close this weekend!!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out riding this weekend in our usual area, 2 hours north of Edmonton, and got a real nice treat. It was snowing heavy, I was in front of the group and stopped to inspect a bunch of fresh tracks in the snow on the cutline we were riding. They were Wolf tracks. We guessed 20 minutes old. After riding another km down the cutline I crested a hill and there was a pack of six wolves about 160 yards in front of me, all running in a line on an old sled track. I slowed down so I did'nt spook them. They stopped, looked back at us and then scattered into the trees. What an awesome site! :d It was so cool to see them in the wild and close up like that. One for the memory bank! Came home and told my boys as soon as I came in the door!

Sorry... no pics of the wolves. :(

Here's a couple shots I took on our ride of my brother, cousin and a friend playing around the well sites.

Attachments

• 2009_0313Callinglake2009march0003.JPG
    2009_0313Callinglake2009march0003.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 33
  • 2009_0313Callinglake2009march0001.JPG
    2009_0313Callinglake2009march0001.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 33
  • 2009_0313Callinglake2009march0006.JPG
    2009_0313Callinglake2009march0006.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2009_0313Callinglake2009march0002.JPG
    2009_0313Callinglake2009march0002.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2009_0313Callinglake2009march0005.JPG
    2009_0313Callinglake2009march0005.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 31

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out riding this weekend in our usual area, 2 hours north of Edmonton, and got a real nice treat. It was snowing heavy, I was in front of the group and stopped to inspect a bunch of fresh tracks in the snow on the cutline we were riding. They were Wolf tracks. We guessed 20 minutes old. After riding another km down the cutline I crested a hill and there was a pack of six wolves about 160 yards in front of me, all running in a line on an old sled track. I slowed down so I did'nt spook them. They stopped, looked back at us and then scattered into the trees. What an awesome site! :d It was so cool to see them in the wild and close up like that. One for the memory bank! Came home and told my boys as soon as I came in the door!

Sorry... no pics of the wolves. :(

Here's a couple shots I took of my brother, cousin and a friend playing around the well sites.

You like the man tracker or something . lol :beer:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You like the man tracker or something . lol :beer:

Ha Ha... no we just usually like to take notice of the natural side of the experience when out riding. We have come accross moose and deer kills a few times. It's cool to see. We see moose, deer, elk on a regular basis but never wolves? It was really a fortunate experience. One I wont forget.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha... no we just usually like to take notice of the natural side of the experience when out riding. We have come accross moose and deer kills a few times. It's cool to see. We see moose, deer, elk on a regular basis but never wolves? It was really a fortunate experience. One I wont forget.

The boys came across a pack of five or six while trail cleaning last fall North of Whitecourt. The animals are sure on the move with this warm weather and setup snow, saw at least a couple of dozen big critters this weekend. Got real close to a deer when it attempted to cross the trail about 6 feet in front of me as I was cruising at about 90kmh. It left some pretty neat tracks beside the trail as is stopped, fell and bounced straight sideways....I got some not so neat tracks in my shorts from that encounter.

KH2110

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any reason you didn't shoot them? Only good wolf is a dead wolf!!!!!!

Save our herds.......GUT SHOOT A WOLF!!!!!!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Looks like the snow was great....Went out in our area (Alberta Beach) yesterday and the riding was crap...Due to the +8 on friday and +5 on saturday everything got hard and crusty...still lots of snow just hard like concrete....crappy how 1 or 2 days of mild and sun can wreck the snow we have left....

Good pics...I'm jealous

Bogger:beer:

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cool pics, seen some wolves in jasper last summer chasing a young deer, but we were not very close, but still neat to see.:cool:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There are too many whitetails here as it is. Something has to eat them. I understand killing a predator that is attacking a herd, but........there's gotta be something wrong with a guy that'd gut shoot an animal that is just doing what it was put here to do......it's not like the other wolves will look at the one in agony and go WHOA! We better stop what we're doing and move on.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

back home in Peace River, other farmers used to hire a buddy and I to set up a blind and sit there all night blasting wolves, (very hard on catle etc) specialy during the calving season!!

....if you seen what they do you'd see what we mean!

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
other than calving season though we've never really have had any probs whats so ever with them, I'd never shoot a non troublesome wolf, coyote etc...I think i'm getting toooo darn soft!!!!! :rolleyes:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm with Summiteer on this one. A real man does'nt gut shoot anything, he shoots to kill if need be. Why make any of Gods creatures suffer?? Remember, you guys are setting up ranch in their back yard, not the other way around.

As far as the deer population explossion goes, I drove through N Dakota and S dakota a month ago with a buddy and the deer heards where absolutely ridiculous :confused: We saw haundred of heards in a day and a half, some numbering in the multiple dozens? Same thing is happening here (AB) but on a way smaller scale. The Preditors have there place.

MADPOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with Summiteer on this one. A real man does'nt gut shoot anything, he shoots to kill if need be. Why make any of Gods creatures suffer?? Remember, you guys are setting up ranch in their back yard, not the other way around.

As far as the deer population explossion goes, I drove through N Dakota and S dakota a month ago with a buddy and the deer heards where absolutely ridiculous :confused: We saw haundred of heards in a day and a half, some numbering in the multiple dozens? Same thing is happening here (AB) but on a way smaller scale. The Preditors have there place.

very true yes I agree 110%, inhumane to wound anything on pupose that's for sure!!!!!!!

.....but back to the original post, it is an awesome thing to see them in their own settings! (gotta love the outdoors)!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Awesome sight for sure!!! You are very furtunate. I've seen a couple together, heard a pack or two, but never seen the pack....well other than the one in the back yard. ;)

I am not going to get involved in the shooting of predators debate. That thread was around once before and got nowhere. All I will say is that EVERy animal has it's place in the balance of nature....only MAN has the capability to F it up!

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scott,

Awesome sight for sure!!! You are very furtunate. I've seen a couple together, heard a pack or two, but never seen the pack....well other than the one in the back yard. ;)

I am not going to get involved in the shooting of predators debate. That thread was around once before and got nowhere. All I will say is that EVERy animal has it's place in the balance of nature....only MAN has the capability to F it up!

Looks like yur back in the debate :) I have to agree with you, it was a real fortunate experience thats for sure. One I wish I could have shared with my boys. I Could not ever imagine shooting a wolf just for sport. Once you see them in the wild you have a real appreciation for the animal. They are an icon of the Canadian wilderness. It was a cool experience for all of us.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last winter between Mackenzie and Chetwynd 2 wolves had a moose standing in a shallow river waiting him out. Felt sorry for the moose, freeze his legs then get chewed apart, yep part of the food chain I guess.
I see lots in my travels south of GP so for me they are just an over sized coyote, but still enjoy seeing them none the less.

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
You guys were brave, if I had seen a wolf and been on an Arctic cat I would have hitailed it out of there, they could probably have caught you if they were hungry enough.:)

Bucky

Reaction score
Hey Scotty, nice to see the dude on the ZR finally get his butt unglued from the seat! :d Nice piks glad you guys had a good ride. :beer::beer:

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Scotty, nice to see the dude on the ZR finally get his butt unglued from the seat! :d Nice piks glad you guys had a good ride. :beer::beer:

Yah he is getting a bit aggressive, finally? :) Not Bad for a 41 year old with MS! Good on him!

Bucky.. you need to join us next time. :beer::beer:

Top Bottom