Hypothetical towing situation...

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Say you want to tow a trailer to Whistler and back. But you find out that you will be 1000 pounds over your rear axle weight rating. Tire rating is good however.

Hypothetical tow rig is a 3500 SRW diesel.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am interested to hear the responses. I know some will say they haul more with a 2500, and some will say the truck will spontaneously combust at the BC border. Obviously a DRW is a better choice, but if one wasn't readily available?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I'm pretty sure that most times, if not all, rear axle rating is based on the tires. I know on my '11 SRW 3500 it is anyway. So, in MY opinion, if the tires have alot of extra room, you'll be fine. NO problems.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
are you over with your tanks full or empty? if its 1000lbs I'm guessing you can reduce that by emptying your clear water tank alone!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you over with your tanks full or empty? if its 1000lbs I'm guessing you can reduce that by emptying your clear water tank alone!

Might not be a camper. I'd say go for it, as long as the rest of the equipment is rated for it(hitch and whatnot). If it's just a one time thing I don't think it would be that big of deal on the truck but the legal risk is your choice if you want to take it. If it were me I'd probably do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Might not be a camper. I'd say go for it, as long as the rest of the equipment is rated for it(hitch and whatnot). If it's just a one time thing I don't think it would be that big of deal on the truck but the legal risk is your choice if you want to take it. If it were me I'd probably do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

never thought about that, good point.

Limbo

Reaction score
Generally there is a fairly large built in margin of safety with any rating. Will your truck turn into a pumpkin at rated capacity +1lb, no. IF you do happen to be weighed in BC you may have some trouble.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm calling the hypothetical police.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437598507.414715.jpg

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

I agree though, there are some amazing dogpiles here. Like if you say the XM isn't the very best sled ever, you are going to have pages of why wider and heavier is better lol.

That being said, I understand limits are their for a reason, just curious what the thoughts of the general populace was. I was rather surprised the rear axle weighed that much when I (hypothetically) got to the scale as it towed so well. Truck doesn't look crushed either.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also think it depends on what you are comfortable driving, lots of people can safely tow a 40ft toyhauler behind a 1 ton, and there's other people that shouldn't be allowed to have a bicycle. Ultimately its all on you if something goes south while towing it, but if it was me i wouldn't even hesitate, I'd tow it.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that most times, if not all, rear axle rating is based on the tires. I know on my '11 SRW 3500 it is anyway. So, in MY opinion, if the tires have alot of extra room, you'll be fine. NO problems.

There are two ratings to look at, the ratings on your door decal and the rating on your tires. The federalies will take the lower rating of the two and go with that ( this from the DOT's at the Golden scale house).

Sent from my iPad

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
There are two ratings to look at, the ratings on your door decal and the rating on your tires. The federalies will take the lower rating of the two and go with that ( this from the DOT's at the Golden scale house).

Sent from my iPad

Didnt say it was legal. I just said it'll be fine. The axle is the least of his worries. It's all (mostly) about the tires.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd try to move some weight on the trailer back while still keeping the approx 10% tongue weight if possible. A little (if possible) rearranging may keep you legal. Drive like a grandpa and rc's will prob leave you alone.

Top Bottom