Hybrid poplar tree problems.

brendon444

Reaction score
Anyone no what is killing my trees? Have about 200+ so don't want to lose them and have a bare yard. Leaves look burnt like frost but we haven't had any. Very small leaves and wilting, trees look bare. Affecting 25% of my trees.
Anyone experience this? have talked to a few people with this problem in different areas but no answers.

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_221215.jpg
    IMG_20170603_221215.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_20170603_221311.jpg
    IMG_20170603_221311.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20170603_221939.png
    IMG_20170603_221939.png
    794.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone no what is killing my trees? Have about 200+ so don't want to lose them and have a bare yard. Leaves look burnt like frost but we haven't had any. Very small leaves and wilting, trees look bare. Affecting 25% of my trees.
Anyone experience this? have talked to a few people with this problem in different areas but no answers.

How long has the tree been planted?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your trees are stressed. We just have to determine why they are stressed. #1 reason for stress usually is lack of water and or nutrients. #2 would be something you did in the vicinity of the tree. Did you just spray around them or rototill are them? Spraying around them can make them feel sick and if you sprayed to much they can die. Roto tilling around them is a good thing as it forces the tap root down because your actually cutting up surface roots by tilling. In the long run this is a good thing but can stress the tree a bit and it will come back around.

brendon444

Reaction score
Did not do anything out of the norm. No spraying or rototilling recently before this problem has occurred. I do usually roto till around them but had not since previous year when they were doing great. Trees are about 6 years old, some a lot worse than others. Happening in various areas of the yard. Some areas soil is very damp and others it is normal to dry and affected trees look the same. So hard to pin point. Some neighbors trees are also being affected in the same way. Would lack of snow this winter or ground frost have any effect? Will they come around or have another round of leaves this year?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
poplar trees are being stressed all over, tops die with the lower parts keeping alive.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As previously alluded to above.....probably Leaf Scorch due to dry conditions caused by high temps, dry winds, low soil moisture.

brendon444

Reaction score
Any reason why this year or from what?

No spraying in my area. So not drift. Oh well I guess they are only trees. Not sure there is much I can do.

poplar trees are being stressed all over, tops die with the lower parts keeping alive.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any reason why this year or from what?

No spraying in my area. So not drift. Oh well I guess they are only trees. Not sure there is much I can do.

No idea? Lots of farm yards around have dead tops and trees falling down!

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stress of the last several years are catching up with the poplars. Sounds like yours have caught a fungus or insect infection. Chainsaw time :).

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give the Northern Forestry Center in Edmonton a call, they have a ton of experts on this stuff, 780-435-7210, Greg Pohl or David Langor.

brendon444

Reaction score
Talked to nursery and was told it was damage to the roots from winter frost. No snow cover and snow coming late in year and spring. Have been many complaints in the area

"deep snowpack coming later in winter, after the soil is already frozen, can also insulate the soil – but in a different way. These late snows actually keep soil frozen for extended periods – even during January thaws and despite the heat of the earth’s core. The surface layers of forest soils do commonly freeze, and when they do, it is not good for roots or the stems and branches dependent on them. Not only do the roots remain inactive under such frozen conditions, but the freezing, heaving, and cracking of winter soils physically damages roots – particularly the fine feeder roots in the uppermost organic layers. This can trigger a cascade of effects on overall tree and forest health. By reducing a tree’s ability to take up water and nutrients, particularly during spring bud break, winter root damage limits subsequent stem and branch growth in summer. In turn, this can contribute to tree mortality and may even explain pockets of dead trees."

Top Bottom