*** Hwy 16 Jasper closed ***

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why highway 93 through the parkway is closed? Is it maintained by the federal government? They sure charge lots for a closed highway.

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why highway 93 through the parkway is closed? Is it maintained by the federal government? They sure charge lots for a closed highway.

last updated report from Drive BC

Highway 93 Both Directions
Slippery Sections from Fort Steele to Wasa (20.5 km). Updated Sun Jan 16 at 5:00 am. (ID# 107055)
Jan 16, 2011 05:00 AM

Slippery Sections from Radium 4 Corners to Vermillion Crossing (63.3 km). Updated Sun Jan 16 at 4:54 am. (ID# 105603)
Jan 16, 2011 04:54 AM

Closed in both directions from Radium Hot Springs Castle Junction because of Avalanche. Estimated time of opening 12:00 pm (MST). Confidence: Low. Next update 10:00 am MST. Updated on Sun Jan 16 at 4:38 am. (ID# 106968)
Jan 16, 2011 04:38 AM

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of from Lake Louis to Jasper. The only info i could find is Alberta road conditions and it gives no reasons. The BC road reports are great.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found it

Highway 93 North - the Icefields Parkway

Condition Comments
Lake Louise to Saskatchewan River Crossing Closed Closed indefinitely due to road surface conditions.
I guess this means snow plow operaters to dam lazy to plow roads.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of from Lake Louis to Jasper. The only info i could find is Alberta road conditions and it gives no reasons. The BC road reports are great.

They don't collect park fees to go through that highway this time of year.It is usually cleared,but at much lower priority than other highways because of low traffic volume.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found it

Highway 93 North - the Icefields Parkway

Condition Comments
Lake Louise to Saskatchewan River Crossing Closed Closed indefinitely due to road surface conditions.
I guess this means snow plow operaters to dam lazy to plow roads.

are you kidding me? biggest snow fall in years and this is your comment!

albertacat

Reaction score
Too bad for the innocent driver killed from valemount;when is MOT going to start clamping down on out of control truckers with little or no experience,Both trucks were apparently from the same company, passing uphill around a corner in a blinding snowstorm!!!and the poor propane truck driver didn't stand a chance.We came through from Kamloops that Thursday morning and got stopped in Valemont for the night and observed 9 vehicles in the ditch suprisingly only one was a private vehicle.The other 8 (including the 2 BOZOS involved in the wreck) were all supposed PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS!!!! And they say us snowmobilers are dangerous on the roads.Give me a break!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up guys. My husband finally called me, just outside of Hinton. He said he spent the night in the truck as hotels were all booked. He said he saw the propane truck, it looked bad. Condolences to the families of the people hurt/killed.

I am making him fly now until Spring!

Drive BC

A great site for highway information, updated fairly regularly as I have found out by experience (I used to live in BC). There is also a phone number for "drive BC" 1-800-550-4997, has the same information as the web site.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad for the innocent driver killed from valemount;when is MOT going to start clamping down on out of control truckers with little or no experience,Both trucks were apparently from the same company, passing uphill around a corner in a blinding snowstorm!!!and the poor propane truck driver didn't stand a chance.We came through from Kamloops that Thursday morning and got stopped in Valemont for the night and observed 9 vehicles in the ditch suprisingly only one was a private vehicle.The other 8 (including the 2 BOZOS involved in the wreck) were all supposed PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS!!!! And they say us snowmobilers are dangerous on the roads.Give me a break!!!!

Where did you get your information on how the accident happened? As it doesn't sound accurate to me.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane truck traveling west and vehicle went by heading east due to flying snow propane truck couldn't see ended up drifting partly into wrong lane collided with one semi them got spun around and collided with a second semi. Wasn't due to anyone trying to pass anyone.

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11 days ago when i come from pg to calgary i counted 4 cars and a truck in the ditch by the time i got to jasper. And the park gates where not closed i had to pay to go throught the parkway.

pounder

Reaction score
Our condolences to the family. He was a long time valemount resident, well known, all around nice guy, hard worker (delivered our propane on days off, when needed), volunteer fireman, minor hockey referee and he will be missed.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Propane truck traveling west and vehicle went by heading east due to flying snow propane truck couldn't see ended up drifting partly into wrong lane collided with one semi them got spun around and collided with a second semi. Wasn't due to anyone trying to pass anyone.

That is the exact version of what I have heard.

I really hate it when people start spouting off the radio gossip, each adding a slight twist to a story and soon you have a blind, deaf, drunk driver going 120 kmh passing in a corner with a big grin on his face in 4 feet of fresh snow.

Condolences to the family. I hope your not reading the gossip.

Top Bottom