Husaberg 450 or KTM XC250

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It most be a long time since you got your top end fix...Last time I got mine done on my 250 xc it cost me $600...and a 450 is not a play bike...It is a racing machine...Not for beginner...

Mkay, lets go back and read what I typed. If I remember correctly, I said that "a 4-Stroke play bike is reliable" that means like an XR400, or maybe a CRF230l or something. please tell me where i called a 450 a play bike.

good job mis-quoting my quote. hahaha

now, if your top-end replacement cost you $600, im guessing you either A) Paid WAY too much for parts, or B) paid a shop to do the work for you.

Now, the beauty of a 2-stroke opposed to a 4-stroke is that a person can go on youtube and learn how to replace a top end by themselves, and do it in 2 hours. Or, and this is a very closely kept secret in the motorcycle world, READ YOUR REPARE MANUAL.

A 2-stroke top end is simple to replace, a 4-stroke is not.

Johnny

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Did my first 2 stroke top end on my front steps at the age of 15 years old. It wasn't hard at all. Especially when Kim Houde (who lived across the street from me) came over to give me some pointers. ;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 2-stroke top end is simple to replace, a 4-stroke is not.

Johnny

In all honesty, a 4 stroke is not that hard to do, just more parts and takes a little more time. Is it as easy as 2 stroke? - No, but in the grand scheme of things it's not that hard. getting the timing aligned is usually the hardest part. Other than that its just nuts and bolts. :)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no comparison that a 2-stroke is cheaper and easier to maintain. To top it off, 2-strokes seem to be holding value better because people are scared of used 4-strokes and the bills that follow.

If you go KTM, don't go for the 07- bikes. The 08+ were HUGE improvements.

There is no question a 250 has more then enough power. I'm 200lbs less gear and have no problems on a 250 and I ride with junior, intermediate and pro riders and power isn't something I'm missing. A 200 is even a good option and have been seeing people switching over to modified 125's (lets keep this clear, a stock 125 sucks in the bush unless modified to lower the power band)

I'm all for 2-strokes. I'd also highly consider a YZ250.

I own a 08 250XC.

That being said, it all depends on what kind of riding you want to do. If you want to ride agressive, gritty, sweaty, hard bush trails, I recommend a 2stroke. If you want to go slow along quad trails or roads with kids, then a 250F is good for that. If you want to ride agressive track, a 250/250F/450F.

You can ride anything pretty much anywhere, but a bike dictates how it has to be ridden. Some people can't ride them for how they need to be rode. 2-strokes are nimble, very quick, and very responsive. Hence they require riders who are aware with whats going on, quick in their reactions, and like a responsive bike.

4strokes are bigger with slower handling, but firmly planted. They corner well (medium to high speed stuff), they modulate power well, they get good traction, they work well for less experienced or less agressive riders. You twist the throttle and your are happily on your way.

That being said, I hate riding buddies bikes when things turn to ch!t. Certain aspects you have advantages, but when I need to make time and get agressive, my 2-smoke is what I like to be riding. Other days when it's a leasurely ride with open trails and ripping up trails with buddies I don't mind switching over and power sliding 450's or railing 250F's. 250F's have to be ridden agressively. They do have power, but you have to be into it with a full fist of throttle. They come alive and they can be very fun.

So with that rambling post, I would say don't just look at KTM/Berg, consider other options and consider what you'll be using it for. If you are just tooling around with kids there is no reason to pick up a twitchy and jerky 300. ALso keep in mind the XC-W's and WR's, etc have suspension not as suited for track use. A WR feels like a tank. On the other hand the SX's and MX bikes are stiff and suit more agressive riding. I have the 08 XC suspension that many dislike, but I personally love it. Very responsive and predictable. It's not a wobbly, bobbing, vague trail suspension if you want to sit down and trail ride at an slow pace though. On the other hand when things get choppy, like big rolling rocks it can be a bit of a handfull.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Thanks Shibby! Looking hard and long at it and still undecided. Best deal I found as of yet if an 09 250 XCW for 6200.00 but still on the fence. Riding style will definitely vary. While I want to putt with the kids behind me once in a while, this will be my camping bike and I love twisting a 2 stroke as I did in my younger days. Might hit the track once in a while here in town, but will also hit the bush a few times a year, and will do a bit of trail riding when out camping. While there is a bit of flair with some of the recent 4 strokes, I love throwing the lighter 2 strokes around. XCW250 is 220lbs, while the WR250 is 260lbs. Big difference. What to do, what to do?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd probably just look for the best deal then. A 2-stroke 250/300, or a 4-stroke 250/450 knowing the 250F will be a bit down on power, but still fun.

Consider the happy button (electric start) if you go 4stroke. 250's aren't too bad, but the 450's if being stubborn or layed over can be a bit of a tiring task to get ticking over.

Trail bikes are heavy. They often have larger tanks, battery, and electric start. The bonus is they have the electric start, and lights to make them legal. Also they are often more quiet which can only do our sport good things.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that my opinion should really matter much at this point as it seems you have plenty of opinions and suggestions BUT I know a few people who ride the 300 XC and LOVE it. I hear KTM 4 strokes can be a beyotch in many ways then just one. The 2 strokes (from my experience) are expensive enough as it is to maintain...cheaper than a 4 stroke definitely but I wouldnt want to be maintaining a KTM 4 stroke too much thats for sure. :d My brake/clutch levers alone on mine are 30-40 bucks a peice.. my Yamaha levers were like 12 bucks.. lol

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another nail hit right on the head LadyDirt.

The YZ250 was brought up earlier as well. You get one of those '07 and newer and your laughin (suspension on the '06 and older wasnt that friendly). Throw a flywheel weight on and you are ready for anything. you get a snappy, light, agressive bike thats cheap, managable and ready for ALL of what you described.

If you get your hands on that KTM though, your heart will be put right at ease. Hydraulic clutch that you can abuse the $h!t out of when you go camping and tight trail riding, great bars you'll never bend, that magic button...

again, go with your heart.

Johnny

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah agreed. I could easily say many things that I love much better about the KTM then the japanese bikes, suspension, clutch, etc BUT to each their own. I know switching up to the KTM from my YZ85 was a good choice for me, I love how the KTM handles and it is so much smoother then the Yamaha, and tons of jam. I can control it better and I am more confident on it. Something about the 85's though..almost too much jam for a little bike. Not sure how the bigger KTM 2 strokes compare to bigger japanese 2 strokes but I have some friends who have made the switch and they all say "once you go KTM, you never go back".

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"once you go KTM, you never go back".

See and I'm not 100% sold. I've had a RM and a YZ prior and enjoyed both those bikes very much.

I'll admit the KTM handles well and being equipped with a stator to power a headlight is very, very handy.

That being said, for those who don't like the old cable clutch and cheap MX levers, try adding some ASV levers. Had them on my RM and I think they were as good, or better then the hydraulic clutch on my KTM. Not to mention fully bendable, and full replacement warranty if broken.

If I were to buy new, I would still go 2-stroke, but I would entertain the Husky, KTM, YZ and maybe Gas Gas.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would give a pinky to test drive a gasgas. always thought they were amazing lookin and always read about 'em in DB magazine growing up.

I haven't rode one personally, but know of a guy who owns one and speaks very well of it. I'm sure he'd borrow it to me if I wanted to take it for a spin, but I hate trying new things in case I like them :d

If you attend the CMRA races up there ask some of the guys. I'm sure one of the riders would let you take one for a rip.

I'd personally love to try a Husky WR250. I hear very good things about this rather unknown bike, let alone rare bike manufacture (in N.A)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not having a good day on that berg...

That's when they were mostly bergs and not KTM's test platform. Good bikes back then, but more of a ticking timebomb. I like the style they had though, but also enjoy what they have become today.

JackSplat

Reaction score
You talkin bout these ones? :d

Can't go wrong with either, but 2 totally different animals to get you to the same spot. Two of the sweetest bikes around imo!

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

Excellent choice in the XCW gascan. Congrats :beer:

Last edited:
Top Bottom