Husaberg 450 or KTM XC250

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Looking at either an 09 KTM 250 or 300 XC, or possibly a an 09 Husaberg 450. I know they're both great cross country or bush bikes, but wondering if anyone can chime in about the pro's and con's of one versus the other?

I'm 200lbs but will likely gain a few since I just quit smoking again and wondered if the 250 has enough grunt for me? Not looking to get into anything too serious, but want something fun to ride when I'm watching my young ones grow up riding bikes. Is the 450 a bit much when running around with kids at slower speeds?

Any service related issues of one versus the other?

BH06

Reaction score
Bigger is better. Wifes bike is 2008 KTM 250XCFW I find it a blast to ride but have to ride it flat out. Sweet ride going into corners and seeing how it's light your not carrying all that momentum into it.

Husa and KTM literally same thing.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personaly, i just dont see how a big heavy 4-stroke is is an option against a snappy, light, cheap-to-maintain 2-stroke. Will a 250 be enough? you will be extremely surprised.

If it were MY money going down here, I'd go straight to the 300XC. You get a bike that you can abuse, a bit that will NEVER stall, a bike that feels a million pounds lighter, and a bike that you can repair for cheap. Cheap in comparrison at least....

if power is an issue, in eather case you shoudl be going bigger. Husaberg has the 570, and KTM has the 300. in either case i dont see the 250 or the 450 being an option.

just my 2 cents

Johnny

(and 2-strokes are more fun)

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money and go for the KTM 300.
How many Husaberg dealers are there around? I know one in red deer and I've never seen a berg in it. Ktm keep growing in popularity even though they are mostly the same. Not sure on the price difference between the two, you might wanna find a fiche and price some items out- like brake pads, clutch and brake lines or a top end.

I've got a 2006 300xcw, my first bike. I've tried 4T 's and find mine is a lot more nimble. And a lot more forgiving. Two strokes have a lower center of gravity- which makes it feel lighter.

Me being 220lbs, I re-sprung the front and back (dual rate on rear is a must), another huge difference. Much more traction and control.
The engine is very tune-able. Pipes can make a pretty huge difference.
Get the jetting right (the JD kit worked well for me), Power Valve springs can be changed to adjust when it hits. Flyweight and clutch basket can make it lug like you won't believe. The bike doesn't have to be on the pipe to ride.

Suspension valving from xc to xcw is different too. Not as stiff as sx valving though.

ktmtalk.com
rockymtndirtriders.com
KTM 300 EXC one of the best all around bikes ? - Dirt Rider . Net, Dirt Bikes - Motocross - Off-Road - Supercross

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
had a 250 suzi last year as a demo for a weekend
nice bike but for me absolutely not enough power

i just love my 426 yamaha wr

yes i know totally different bikes than what ure looking at

but my 2 cents would be go 4 stroke and have fun with it
lots of low bottom grunt in my eyes as a mechanic i think cheaper (cause less breakage) on a 4 stroke

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Took my son to the Wild Rose MC Park today and talked to a 450F rider today. Told me if I was planning to ride the mountains, stick to a 2 smoke and for the added money, get the 300 as it rocks. Looks like it will likely be a 300 XC-W for me. I'll post some pictures once I have one home.

My son had a blast at Wild Rose today. Lots of bikes there and good to see that early activity.

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but my 2 cents would be go 4 stroke and have fun with it
lots of low bottom grunt in my eyes as a mechanic i think cheaper (cause less breakage) on a 4 stroke

did you really just call a 4-stroke cheaper? seriously? $200 top-end opposed to a $1500 top-end? 4-stroke play bikes are reliable, not high performance bikes.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you really just call a 4-stroke cheaper? seriously? $200 top-end opposed to a $1500 top-end? 4-stroke play bikes are reliable, not high performance bikes.

So $200 every year for a new top end or $1500 every 6-8 yrs - Math is about the same....You're not replacing parts annually on the 4 stroke like you do on the 2 stroke.....

I'd disagree with the comment about 4 strokes not being performance bikes either......

GC - my neighbour has a 300XC and he loves it - he is an avid offroad racer and races on the circuit here in AB.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One of my riding buds has a 530 4 stroke and a 300 2 stoke. He is 220 lbs and mostly rides single track with a little bit of motocross. He doesn't ride the 530 anymore.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the 300 has trouble keeping up with the 530's?:d

You heard wrong.
530's get stuck in mudbogs. I got video somewhere. [media]https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/images/icons/icon27.gif[/media]

OH AND...
I found a dirt track 4 minutes dirtbike ride from the house last week.
Check it. 0:10 seconds, dig that.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZI03lAqXU[/media]

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Not sure if what I was told is true about the KTM 2-strokes, but it was said to me that under normal abuse you'll get a couple seasons or about 200 hours from a top end unless racing it? If that's the case I'll easily get a couple seasons from one.

The two guys I spoke to at Wild Rose this past weekend were KTM dudes. One is a full time bike mechanic at Blackfoot who suggested the 2 stroke while the other guy was on a 450SX-F. That 450 4 stroke just had the entire motor redone including crank pin after just 2 seasons on it and the guys not a racer? So what does that say to the longevity of a 4 stroke and the costs to maintain?

Leaning heavily towards a used 250 XC-W with 20 hours on it. Good price and I can always add a 300 bore kit when the top end needs redoing. New 300 CX-W are hard to find right now and are selling for 9100.00 to 9500.00 tax in. Can't find any older stock in a 300 right now as the only (2) in the region are 2010 models at full pop.

Still debating!

machz mod

Reaction score
cant go wrong with team orange and the 300 is a wicked bike, especially a two stroke with a happy button

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MainJet in Nelson might have a 300.
No Limits.
Or the Squamish shop.

And whatever they say, you don't have to pay the PST out here.

I've rode my 300 for 3 seasons. Never done a top end. I don't think the guy before me did either. I guess I should get on it.

I'm using arctic cat Apv full synthetic oil. Fresh scent.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You heard wrong.
530's get stuck in mudbogs. I got video somewhere.

I've yet to see that video. I was beginning to think it was just a dream and never really happened.

I don't know about 6 years on the top end if you drive a 4-stroke hard.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at a kijiji add on a 07 300 XC-W for $5600 in Barhead.

xcrider

Reaction score
When I was shopping for a bike last year at this time, i was leaning towards a KTM450. Knowing that I was heading to colorado in the summer,plan was to scoop one up there and haul her back. Found a good deal on an 07 250XC(bout 3k less than here) and decided to go with the 2stroke. It wasn't really a hard choice as I've had 4 other 2strokes over the years.
Couldn't be happier with that bike, its light, powerful and a blast to ride.
Love how easy it is to start, not like most 4 strokes I've ridden.
My son just picked up a crf450r, so can't wait to throw a leg over that baby just to compare power.
By the way, you will save a lot of money if you buy down south, that is if your planning on going there anyhow.
You will find loads of used ktms in Colorado and Utah.

mat

Reaction score

It most be a long time since you got your top end fix...Last time I got mine done on my 250 xc it cost me $600...and a 450 is not a play bike...It is a racing machine...Not for beginner...

Top Bottom