Hunting for snow from the air.

AB_Summit

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post some pictures from a trip my buddy Kent and I took on a trip to Revelstoke on Wednesday Nov.10. Kent was the photographer, so he gets the credit for the pictures. He took a lot of great shots so I had a hard time deciding which ones to post.

I got my pilot's license this spring, and bought an old Piper airplane, so I thought I would put them to good use and go look for rideable snow.

We took of from Red Deer and flew west, following the Clearwater river into the mountains.

Here's a shot of us following the Clearwater valley.
IMG_2396.jpg

And another shot, somewhere along the Clearwater, probably somewhere in Banff National Park. Some of the bluest skies I've seen.
IMG_2410.jpg

We flew over the pass at the headwaters of the Clearwater, and came out at Highway 93, just south of Bow Lake. Here's a shot of where we came out at Highway 93, you can see Bow Lake in the middle of the picture.
IMG_2412.jpg

We flew over Bow Lake and up to the Wapta Icefield and the AB/BC border.
Here's a couple of shots of the Wapta Icefield.
IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

And a shot from over the Wapta Icefield looking back at Bow Lake.
IMG_2418.jpg

Another couple of glaciers in the area.
IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

From the Wapta Icefield, we flew across the border and down into the Blaeberry River valley. We followed the Blaeberry valley to the Trans-Canada highway west of Golden, BC, and flew across the highway up the valley into the Gorman Lake snowmobiling area. Here's a couple of pictures of Gorman Lake.
IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

From Gorman we followed the ridge west to the Quartz Creek snowmobiling area. It was the only place we saw sled tracks on our whole trip. Here are a couple shots of Quartz.
IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

I guess I'm limited to 12 pics per post, so I'll make another couple of posts to finish up the story.

AB_Summit

Reaction score
From Quartz Creek we flew west and intercepted the Trans-Canada highway again. We followed the Trans-Canada through Roger's Pass and on to Revelstoke. Here's a picture of the snowsheds over the highway east of Roger's Pass.
IMG_2446.jpg

Here's a picture of a mountain in the Roger's Pass area.
IMG_2447.jpg

Here's a picture of the town of Revelstoke from the air.
IMG_2468.jpg

We stopped in Revelstoke for fuel.
IMG_2469.jpg

Then we headed south. Here's a picture of Boulder Mountain from across the valley.
IMG_2461.jpg

A picture of Mt. Begbie.
IMG_2460.jpg

A picture of Mt. Mcrae.
IMG_2478.jpg

The Nakusp/Galena Bay ferry.
IMG_2494.jpg

Area 51.
IMG_2498.jpg

Sol Mountain Lodge.
IMG_2503.jpg

We were going to fly north from Area 51 and check out the Blanket Glacier, Joss, Begbie, Griffin, etc. but the visibility was poor so we headed back to the lake and followed the lake back to Revelstoke. We topped up the tanks again in Revelstoke, then headed north following highway 23 up to the Mica Dam. Here's the Revelstoke Dam.
IMG_2511.jpg

AB_Summit

Reaction score
Standard Peak in the Keystone snowmobiling area.
IMG_2514.jpg

The cabin at Keystone.
IMG_2523.jpg

The lake at Caribou Basin.
IMG_2527.jpg

The Goldstream area north of Caribou Basin.
IMG_2529.jpg

The old Mica Dam townsite.
IMG_2538.jpg

The Mica Dam.
IMG_2544.jpg

From the Mica Dam, we turned southeast and followed the Columbia Reach of Kinbasket Lake back towards Golden. We wanted to fly over the lodge at Chatter Creek and the Hope Creek snowmobiling area, but once again poor visibility forced us to stick to the lake. Here are a couple of glaciers we passed on the west side of Kinbasket.
IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

We stopped in Golden to fill the tanks again, then followed the Blaeberry valley over Howse Pass to Saskatchewan Crossing. Here’s a glacier we saw near Saskatchewan Crossing.
IMG_2580.jpg

Once we crossed back into Alberta, the skies were clear again, back to blue sky.
IMG_2588.jpg

We flew back to Red Deer, crossing over the Onion Lake area, then flew over the Ram Falls airstrip, and passed by Baseline Mountain on our way home.

We didn’t see much for snow, but got to explore some interesting terrain. We covered about 1300 km and had a great day of flying. I’ll probably go again in a few weeks and see how the snow situation is then. Thanks again to Kent for taking all the pictures.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Standard Peak in the Keystone snowmobiling area.
IMG_2514.jpg

The cabin at Keystone.
IMG_2523.jpg

The lake at Caribou Basin.
IMG_2527.jpg

The Goldstream area north of Caribou Basin.
IMG_2529.jpg

The old Mica Dam townsite.
IMG_2538.jpg

The Mica Dam.
IMG_2544.jpg

From the Mica Dam, we turned southeast and followed the Columbia Reach of Kinbasket Lake back towards Golden. We wanted to fly over the lodge at Chatter Creek and the Hope Creek snowmobiling area, but once again poor visibility forced us to stick to the lake. Here are a couple of glaciers we passed on the west side of Kinbasket.
IMG_2557.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

We stopped in Golden to fill the tanks again, then followed the Blaeberry valley over Howse Pass to Saskatchewan Crossing. Here’s a glacier we saw near Saskatchewan Crossing.
IMG_2580.jpg

Once we crossed back into Alberta, the skies were clear again, back to blue sky.
IMG_2588.jpg

We flew back to Red Deer, crossing over the Onion Lake area, then flew over the Ram Falls airstrip, and passed by Baseline Mountain on our way home.

We didn’t see much for snow, but got to explore some interesting terrain. We covered about 1300 km and had a great day of flying. I’ll probably go again in a few weeks and see how the snow situation is then. Thanks again to Kent for taking all the pictures.

EPIC pics buddy!

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always liked those pipers,i have a rec licence but no plane,one day.is it owner maintanance or certifed.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing such an incredible exsperience. You and your freind are very fortunate.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best overall area coverage of conditions. Ladies and gentlemen start your engines.:beer::d

Top Bottom