Human factors that are causing so many of us to make potentially deadly decsions

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass along a little write up from last week in mountain sledder. Please take some time to give it a good read.

We see this happening so much on the mountain and we are all guilty of it. So many riders are making decisions and taking risks out there that they know are potentially deadly. Why are we doing this and is the risk worth the reward? Backcountry use should not be a game of Russian Roulette, it is fine balance of observations, assessment and educated decision making.

"The only thing better than an exciting life is an exciting and LONG life.

The Human Factors and Avalanche AvoidanceMountain Sledder Magazine

Ride safe

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the experience that you have in the industry you are dead on with most of your comments but this is in not only in snowmobiling. Look around and it's everywhere in all parts of our daily lives. How we drive on any given day we can say to our selves" Man I just got away by the skin of my ass or Dam I think I will try to make that light". Kayaking down some water falls. Jumping off the sides of mountains. Climbing unclimbable mountains. Fishing boats that can do Mach 1 to a favorite area. I watched a bit of the Daytona 500 where there was pile ups. A lot of You tube vids prove that all we want is to stand out ,if only for a moment, to show how we have nerves of steal. The person who cheats the reaper is the winner but doesn't realize that the Reaper only has to wait a bit. It's a life cycle that has a lot of momentum and hopefully it will slow some day. Sometimes I think we shouldn't live like it's our last DAY cause the Sun has been pretty good about rising the next morning.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Curtis. IMHO, that is bang on. People definitely get complacent and even with all the training and gear, chit happens and that scenario "I've never seen that slide" can easily be a beotch when conditions are right. Keep up the great work.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We should blame it on the Cowboys . They just sit at that picnic table at the Rodeo and just can't wait for the Bull to be let out. NERVES of STEAL. LOL That's what started all this...

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Thanks for the comment.

With the experience that you have in the industry you are dead on with most of your comments but this is in not only in snowmobiling. Look around and it's everywhere in all parts of our daily lives. How we drive on any given day we can say to our selves" Man I just got away by the skin of my ass or Dam I think I will try to make that light". Kayaking down some water falls. Jumping off the sides of mountains. Climbing unclimbable mountains. Fishing boats that can do Mach 1 to a favorite area. I watched a bit of the Daytona 500 where there was pile ups. A lot of You tube vids prove that all we want is to stand out ,if only for a moment, to show how we have nerves of steal. The person who cheats the reaper is the winner but doesn't realize that the Reaper only has to wait a bit. It's a life cycle that has a lot of momentum and hopefully it will slow some day. Sometimes I think we shouldn't live like it's our last DAY cause the Sun has been pretty good about rising the next morning.

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bump as this is an Awesome read

Please Please Please
All sledders give this a good read

This is great Curtis

Thanks Man for all you do for our great sport

Birdie

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head with that! Its an attitude forsure, recreation areas also get closed because of this "attitude" as well.

It not just in the mtns that this is going on. Lots of show offs looking for the "like" counts to go up on social media.
I was Watching the news the other night, and some kid did a back flip into the lagoon at the west Edmonton mall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom