How warm is a non insulated jacket?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
For me it's Motorfist unlined bib and jacket with appropriate layering. Used to wear insulated and wouldn't go back....well except to ride in Saskatchewan.....lol

Tapatalk....well I'm happy with you now....thanks for the fix.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
For me it's Motorfist unlined bib and jacket with appropriate layering. Used to wear insulated and wouldn't go back....well except to ride in Saskatchewan.....lol

-33 in Barrhead last January I was quite happy to have insulated....... Shopping for shells this year at sled show I think.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, and all of the post's.

I may have to rethink the way I dress for riding. I have HMK Stealth gear, with removable linings. I'm going to try a few different ways of suiting up.....

I typically do, thin under armour, light track pants, light shirt and my HMK gear. But I have came back to the parking lot a few times sweaty.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Klim shell and not sure if it is the age thing but I will be buying a insulated jacket this year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's all very subjective. If you are in relatively decent shape and sled a lot and are more active while riding you will generally wear less as you prefer easier range of motion and are not getting cold.

If you are a prototypical cat rider you will have a purple thick base layer, green and black thick mid layer topped off with a checkered insulated jacket that doubles as NASCAR advertising.

Take your style of riding into consideration. If you already wear an insulated jacket and find you get cold maybe non insulated is not a good idea. Or it can be better for you as you can possibly later with better quality products. Already mentioned that cotton kills. I do not even like some of the UA products as I prefer quality wool items. A mid weight wool base layer is generally all I wear under my uninsulated jacket. If the trail up is chilly I will wear the mid layer but once I am riding it goes in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you spend a lot of time sitting around, you'll probably need some insulation to keep you warm, but if you're constantly moving you don't need nearly as much. With non-insulated, you'll cool down a lot faster when you stop moving.

If you dress light, pack extra layers extra warmth. You'll need them if you end up sitting or for cold weather or for emergencies. The ride out at the end of the day when it's getting dark and you're played out tends to feel cold. Amazing how small a fleece or down jacket will squeeze down to in a compression bag.

In the past I was alway too hot and trying to cool down and then I'd freeze in the afternoon when I was wet and all my clothes were sweaty. Keeping the right temperature is as much of a challenge as staying warm.

I've switched to a really light klim revolt pullover the last few years with a base and mid-layer underneath and keep an heavier jacket in my pack. When you dress light, you can learn to pay attention to how fast you cool down so you don't pass the point where tough to get warm again. I've learned that if I'm going to be sitting for more than a few minutes, or as soon as I start to start cooling down, I throw on my heavier jacket, or just go start moving again.

p.s. - no cotton underwear - it makes a huge difference.

Quattroman

Reaction score
Lol, And yea i agree, Its alot how/where you ride. Ditch banging around home or the trails in whitecourt area i dress warmer with a thicker layer, not really workin or digging anyone out. If im going to the mountains i have under armor base layer, then the tekvest with a fleece and my 509 shell, If its a steep n deep day then the fleece will end up off by lunch.

Now the wife on the other hand.... Shes always cold and wears 20 layers over her Milwaukee heated sweater no matter what.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We have a sled gear brand that you guys in the big hills haven't seen...screw the Goretex...Carhart it is while we go skee-doing!
post-coveralls.jpg

In all seriousness, I wear a Valdez here with a Inferno baselayer and a Tek Vest Supersport and I'm good to go down to -30. As was said, depends on a number of things. My dad has diabetes and terrible circulation and he's always cool. Outfitted himself with a Klim Keewanaw setup and is more than content in cold days now.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a sled gear brand that you guys in the big hills haven't seen...screw the Goretex...Carhart it is while we go skee-doing!

In all seriousness, I wear a Valdez here with a Inferno baselayer and a Tek Vest Supersport and I'm good to go down to -30. As was said, depends on a number of things. My dad has diabetes and terrible circulation and he's always cool. Outfitted himself with a Klim Keewanaw setup and is more than content in cold days now.

Rotax-Kid.. Balgonie hey. Was a terrible last winter for you. I was born/raised in Indian Head..

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My Veldez works great too. Now if I could only find some gloves that work as well, or better than the Valdez. :(

I'm going to try some True Adventure Gear Gloves this year from Sledwrecks (formerly SnoBunje Canada)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Veldez works great too. Now if I could only find some gloves that work as well, or better than the Valdez. :(

The best gloves I ever owned were leather Heatra's. I just cannot bring myself to pay what they ask for them.

I don't even bother with insulated gloves now most stays. Just something with windstop. When they get wet, wring them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have an older shell coat that's a size bigger than your new nice shell, keep it in the truck for messing around with dirty sleds and trailers, but they are also great for really cold days or temperature inversion days. If it's cold in the parking lot, gear up and throw the extra beater shell over top of your normal setup for the trail. Then stash it until the ride out. The extra shell keeps the cold wind off you when riding but doesn't overheat you

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a layer type of guy. My shell must have pit zip vents, and shell bib pants must have side zip vents.
Light weight base layer long johns and shirt and merino wool vest.
I carry a synthetic down jacket in the pack for stopping and lunch breaks.

Top Bottom