how to tel if botom end is shot

bigjohn1

Reaction score
just wondering how to tel if the botom end is shot in a 583 having some trouble with my sled and am woried that this is the problem new to sleds so i am not very familiar with paticulars when it comes to knowing what i am loking for thanks

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please expand on some of the symtoms, noise, what is it doing ? Try to be as specific as posible so the doo gurus can help you out

bigjohn1

Reaction score
fired my sled up the other day first time this year let it idle for a few minutes picked up the back end and let the track spin for a bit not reving real high got on rode it up and down the block let it idle for a litle more then shut it down whent to restart and it would not turn over figured it was the recoil so puled it off but it worked fine tried to turn primary clutch but couldnt so i puled the plugs and it turnend but it semed like it had a stickey spot turned it a bit more and it turned frealy but made a sort of rubing sound presumably the belt it semed to run fine and sounded good when runing it didnt get to hot but i did have it extremly floded before we got it started
thanks

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fired my sled up the other day first time this year let it idle for a few minutes picked up the back end and let the track spin for a bit not reving real high got on rode it up and down the block let it idle for a litle more then shut it down whent to restart and it would not turn over figured it was the recoil so puled it off but it worked fine tried to turn primary clutch but couldnt so i puled the plugs and it turnend but it semed like it had a stickey spot turned it a bit more and it turned frealy but made a sort of rubing sound presumably the belt it semed to run fine and sounded good when runing it didnt get to hot but i did have it extremly floded before we got it started
thanks

how long did it sit after you shut it down? when you pulled the plugs and turned it over did you get a lot of gas coming out of the cylinder? Did you manage to get it started again? All important info to help diagnos the problem. If you said yes to my second question, sounds like she hydraulic on you,(filled up with gasoline) check your floats in your carbs, although this is rare, your fuel could have syphoned from your tank into your engine.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how long did it sit after you shut it down? when you pulled the plugs and turned it over did you get a lot of gas coming out of the cylinder? Did you manage to get it started again? All important info to help diagnos the problem. If you said yes to my second question, sounds like she hydraulic on you,(filled up with gasoline) check your floats in your carbs, although this is rare, your fuel could have syphoned from your tank into your engine.

Actually the floats being set at the incorrect height was a common problem on the 583's. The 1996 583 Summits sould not be parked facing downhill or they would flood out.

bigjohn - pull the exhaust pipe off and stick a flashlight up the y pipe, take the plugs out and look down the cylinders, you should not see any scarring on the walls or any foreign debris in the cylinders. You could have broken a ring and it is catching on one of the transfer ports or the exhaust port, etc. which is causing the friction. If everything looks OK but it still has a sticky spot when you are turning it over, then there is an issue in the bottom end, probably burnt a bearing, and you will have to tear into it more.

How many miles on this motor?

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might be totally wrong, but I noticed with my sled this year, that the first 2 times I started it to move it around and put it on the trailer, the clutches didn't want to release the belt after idling down, even though the deflection was set right. The belt had some "shape memory" from sitting in one position all summer, and this caused the sled to want to creep ahead slowly depending on how the belt was sitting. Once I drove the sled for a few minutes, the problem disappeared, and hasn't come back. Not sure if this could be your culprit or not...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i might be totally wrong, but i noticed with my sled this year, that the first 2 times i started it to move it around and put it on the trailer, the clutches didn't want to release the belt after idling down, even though the deflection was set right. The belt had some "shape memory" from sitting in one position all summer, and this caused the sled to want to creep ahead slowly depending on how the belt was sitting. Once i drove the sled for a few minutes, the problem disappeared, and hasn't come back. Not sure if this could be your culprit or not...

sounds like time to clean you clutches.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They were just serviced. I had a DJ Clutch Kit put in this summer, and at the same time we found a broken secondary roller, and the plastic primary bushing was replaced. I watched him specifically clean both the primary and secondary. This happened after the kit went in, but I haven't had a problem since the first 2 times I started it this fall. The only other thing I could think of is that with the new primary bushing, it was a little tight and didn't want to let the spring push the primary out all the way at first.

bigjohn1

Reaction score
havent tried starting it again ben a litle nervouse in case it is a bearing or other internal problem i am going to tip it up on its side today to see if there is gas in the crank case will do the flashlite check as wel then try and start it will let you guys know what comes of it thanks

bigjohn1

Reaction score
had it runig good let it warm up and shut it down 4 or 5 times took it out thismorning let it warm up put it on the trailer fired it back up when we got to were we were going let it warm up rode for 1/4 mile started runing rough shut it down had a plug boot come off had trouble geting it started but it finaly fired ran go0d for 50 yards started runing rough then quit and could get her to turn over at all think she is shot smelt something burning any advice thanks

jdtman

Reaction score
had it runig good let it warm up and shut it down 4 or 5 times took it out thismorning let it warm up put it on the trailer fired it back up when we got to were we were going let it warm up rode for 1/4 mile started runing rough shut it down had a plug boot come off had trouble geting it started but it finaly fired ran go0d for 50 yards started runing rough then quit and could get her to turn over at all think she is shot smelt something burning any advice thanks

Sounds like you lost a piston or something. Something I have had happen to me 2 times on my 500 because a slight bit of water got into the oil pump gear and froze it just enough that when you turned it over the plastic gear snapped leaving the sled with zero oil pumping into the motor. In my case it happend 2 times in 2 years because I had the air box apart and took the shelf out and it rained out then turned real cold right after. The rain got down through the shelfless air box and just enough got into the oil pump gear housing causing the pump to chunk up with ice. Then the brittle cold plastic just snapped leaving me clueless to what had happened until it was to late.

bigjohn1

Reaction score
the bottom end was gone i lost a main bearing on the crank witch in turn took out a piston so i got a new crank and rebuilt the top end ran great after break in i also swaped the old sc7 susspension out for a sc10 what a difference looking to cut some more weight with a lexan hood and a new seat

Top Bottom