How to: polish tunnels

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, for the last two years I've been using mothers to polish my tunnel. Usually I'll spend about 2 hours on each side. But the end product isn't great. Anybody have a sound technique/product?

p.s. sorry boydo, Im sure its not a thread you like to see...

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, for the last two years I've been using mothers to polish my tunnel. Usually I'll spend about 2 hours on each side. But the end product isn't great. Anybody have a sound technique/product?

yeah get a hold of boydo does great work

mel.h

Reaction score

Are you using a aluminum cleaner before you start? What kind of cloth material are you using to polish with? This makes a big difference. 100% cotton works really good. Also, there is a product called Magic Mix that is easier to polish with & i find it has better results.If you polish twice a year with the Magic Mix it will stay way nicer & you should be able to do it all in less than 1.0 hr. Hope this helps...good luck.

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all I usually do is wash it down with warm soap & water, then use mothers & the mothers power ball. What kind of aluminum cleaner?

So basically clean it with the aluminum cleaner & 100% cotton. and then magic mix and the same kind of cloth? and what do you use to wipe it off? What do you use to clean off the black goo after?

mel.h

Reaction score
Thanks, all I usually do is wash it down with warm soap & water, then use mothers & the mothers power ball. What kind of aluminum cleaner?

So basically clean it with the aluminum cleaner & 100% cotton. and then magic mix and the same kind of cloth? and what do you use to wipe it off? What do you use to clean off the black goo after?

Something as simple as T.S.P. in hot water will work ,although not my favorite. Spray Nine will work, another good product is Castrol Super Clean (although this is a little more expensive). Wet the tunnel down, spray the chosen cleaner on, wash off with hot soapy water & a wash mitt (note that Lemon Sunlight dish soap works really good for this... DO NOT use a Industrial soap with a cleaning detergent added to it as it gets in to the pores of the aluminum & makes it hard to rinse off/polish. Rinse off with hot water for the best results. Let dry for 2 - 3 hrs... even 1/2 a day if you can. Use the cotton cloths to apply your chosen polish with & a fresh cotton one to rub off the "black goo". Then use another fresh cotton cloth to give it one last shine.When you are done polishing wash again with hot soapy water (dish soap), rinse with hot water,let dry overnight. If you want you can use a good liquid wax to hold the polish job a little longer ( please note the waxing will dull the shine ever so slightly, but will help it last longer).Hope this helps you out.* P.S. the Mothers Power Ball is a pretty good product, but it sprays the Magic Mix everywhere.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is what you need.

Polishing wheel and drill
Polish
lots of Beer
And lots of time.

If you go this route you will be black from head to toe.Pick up the polish and wheels from Peter Built.I did get some smaller polishing wheels from Princess Auto.Have fun

:beer::beer::beer:

You can see my m7 to the right and compare it. I'm not a pro.But it looks alot better then it did.

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what you need.

Polish
lots of Beer
And lots of time.

If you go this route you will be black from head to toe.Pick up the polish and wheels from Peter Built.I did get some smaller polishing wheels from Princess Auto.Have fun

You can see my m7 to the right and compare it. I'm not a pro.But it looks alot better then it did.

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

yupp looks good although results dont come easy but what does thats worth it

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If anyone needs more practise I would be glad to drop off my M8!
catmando!

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what you need.

Polish
lots of Beer
And lots of time.

DSC01175.jpg

DSC01180.jpg

ahhhh....you found the good stuff!!!!!! awesome stuff....best I ever used!!!!

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you find the f1 polish is it avialble in stores or just through boydo?
does anyone have a video posted of them polishing there tunnel?

PEAK SEEKER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So that f1 stuff is what boydo uses? Might have to get ahold of some...

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stahl Peterbuilt in Edmonton 18020-118 th Ave

780-483-6666 sells it...but don't tell anyone! lol..

Buy all three componets...use a mask and coveralls along with rubber gloves cause you are gonna get dirty! MASK is a must....lierally the best stuff I ever used. It is a time consuming process and really if you don't have the time and for what Boydo charges to do with the amount of mess, clean-up and the physical labor not to mention the cost of polishing wheels and equipment...if I were closer...I'd be takin it to the MAN that knows how to polish...polishing is an art...not just anyone can do it and get the same results as Boydo...he's a pro don't let anyone tell ya different...

I've acheived really good results and it is rewarding to say you did your own but I sure as heck ain't doin anyone elses..too much work...just sayin...

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious if anyone knows a supplier that sells it in Vernon or Kelowna or Kamloops I am there every day.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not too sure who sells out there but if yer stuck I could probrably pick you some up next time in city and ship it out to ya ...

Top Bottom