how to fix cracked hoods?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drill out the end of the crack with a 1/8" drill bit so that it stops splitting,

Then sand the area so that the fiberglass bonds and the fibreglass it from the inside of the hood. This way you won't have to paint the outside.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
drill out the end of the crack with a 1/8" drill bit so that it stops splitting,

Then sand the area so that the fiberglass bonds and the fibreglass it from the inside of the hood. This way you won't have to paint the outside.

I took mine to JD Collision in Bonnyville. they did an an awesome job.

dirtbag

Reaction score
a body shop uses a 2 part epoxy that can only be purchased through an auto body shop supply outlet (must know someone and purchase it through thier account)...fibergass and plastic weld will not hold for to long in my experience...

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a body shop uses a 2 part epoxy that can only be purchased through an auto body shop supply outlet (must know someone and purchase it through thier account)...fibergass and plastic weld will not hold for to long in my experience...

My old Foreman got some of this stuff left over from a body shop, fixed a fair size crack on the hood of his dragon. I believe he applied the glue on the inside.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you coarse sand the surface and prep things properly, fiberglass done properly should do the trick. I have had it last years on one sled. The issue here is his sled is a 1991, I was kinda thinking he didn't want to spend big $$$ to have it fixed.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
on my 2001 summit I bought a hood repair kit from turples, $50 I think. It was a 2 part epoxy C/W fiber webbing all the stuff to fix a huge crack. It worked great fo r the $.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you coarse sand the surface and prep things properly, fiberglass done properly should do the trick. I have had it last years on one sled. The issue here is his sled is a 1991, I was kinda thinking he didn't want to spend big $$$ to have it fixed.

I stiched it shut with some metel wire then used some bondo and sanded just need so nice black paint.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used finger nail adheasive in the past and it worked ok. If you don't know what that is just talk to wifey.

LOL - he's 14 - I don't think he's married!!!

Unless this is eastern Europe or a colony somewhere in southern Alberta....

08 800 x doo

Reaction score
If you wont some thing that works very good & that will not break ever again use J.B. WELD it will bond any thing i have it on a 01 700 zx & a 98 700 RMK

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used duraflex....two part expoxy that is still flexable. worked great! I remember in the old days on the elans I used alum sheeting and pop rivets I even tried stictching it with thick fishing line lol. boy how times have changed lol I have rolled my sleds more times than I can count and knock on wood but no cracks yet. but they do need something to fix windsheilds or bring the cost of them down. I buy alot of used 900 RMK windsheilds lol.

Top Bottom