How the hell do you find a job these days ????

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, Im really getting sick of sitin around I gotta do something make some money, I use to belive the oil patch was the way to go. But Was wondering if anyone had any ideals on what might be busy this time of year. I was kinda thinkin road construction or something along them lines. any sugestions would be great, Traveling is not big deal I dont mind beeing away from home for a long time so what ever let me know thatnks.

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey we allowed to say h-e-dubble-hockey stick on here ?
i think my brother was lookin for some one on the road crew but not sure if they need any body any more. ill ask him

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Border paving out of Red Deer is looking for End Dump Drivers. They have been awarded the contract to repave the highway between Sylvan Lake and Rimbey (highway 20) From what I have heard, its going to be an all Summer & Fall gig. Give them a call / drop off a resume.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is unbelievable how many people are out of work right now,I also find it unbelievable how Long the lineup are at Costco and Ikea.Was there over the last couple weeks and you would never know there was a so called recession.With the slowdown in Ft Mac and the Oilpatch in general there are a lot of guys looking for work.This is a good thread for those who know of oppertunities to post them for guys like yourself looking for work!
Good Luck!
catmando!

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are a class one driver, long haul. Must be able to cross the border. Mostly US miles. All deck work and do oversize. Give me a yell.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry Catman.....but you gotta admit, you were intrigued

All in fun.....cheers

BIG_BRUTE750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea must be really slow up here cause tims drive though in the morning use to be about a 10 min or so wait now is maybe 2-3 min. kinda sad to see it this slow..... not to sure what to think...:confused::confused:

powderpusher

Reaction score
If you dont mind being away from home go on line and check out the saskatchewan news papers as i had to resort to that and found lots of oilfeild work still available there still,was driving truck here but it slowed right down and found pipeline work in saskatchewan and the money is better there for laborer than driving truck here ,go figure

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is hard to find a job... company's are still bring people in form over seas to do jobs here... that is why it is hard to find a job... CEDA is bring in like 23 people... it would be nice if these companys would hier people here.. and if they do not have the training they should train them to do the job instead of bring people into canada to do the work... and then when the work is done we have to support the people they bring in... not right i think...

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons that companies still look overseas for workers is because too many people here jump from job to job and don't appreciate having a job. where people from overseas appreciate there job and are more likly to stay with one company.

Just a coment from me.

Cowboyup083

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work in Agriculture, the company i work for is always looking for guys we are short of help all the time, and it is steady work all year long.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think one of the reasons that companies still look overseas for workers is because too many people here jump from job to job and don't appreciate having a job. where people from overseas appreciate there job and are more likly to stay with one company.

Just a coment from me.

That is exactly rite. There are a pile of people in alberta who still havent woke up to the reality that the world doesnt owe you a living.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just a coment from me.

It's because they are cheaper....bottom line......

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got (temporarily 2month) lay off after 15 yrs with the same manager, just different companies because of buy-outs. I was very P*ssed about the whole thing, and let him know about it. He told me to go and look at buying a power raker and aerator saying he would buy it, let me run it and split the take. So after looking at the equipment, I decided to go at it alone, and bought it, walked into his office and dropped my card on his desk and watched his jaw hit the ground. Since buying the equipment, I have already paid it off and made some $$$. It is not enough to live on but only a month left in the lay-off and I will going back to work. All in all if you got an idea try and make your own job. I love not having to answer to anybody else and you can make your own hours.:d

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work in the middle east because things are slow in the oil patch. But ya know, in places like Dubai there is so many workers coming from India, Pakistan, Bangladish that there is actually a shortage of skilled labour in those countries? India with a population of over a Billion people is short of skilled workers. The Arabic language in the UAE is getting all messed up because of the different cultures bastardizing it. These countries that are expanding need the experienced labour and work force, they can't do it all on there own. Is there any chance of finding work abroad, just need a passport and hit the internet hyway to find a job?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly rite. There are a pile of people in alberta who still havent woke up to the reality that the world doesnt owe you a living.

That is right, Although everywhere you go you hear about cutbacks and such, yet I still get people demanding raises???
You have to be carefull hiring forgein workers right now or you can get into a lot of trouble. You have to be able to prove you have not been able to find SKILLED canadian workers first and if you are doing layoffs, the forgein worker must go first if you have Canadian workers of the same SKILL set. You can lay off Canadian workers and keep forgein workers if you lay off apprentices and the forgein workers are J men.
The sick part of all this is a forgein worker that works for only a month or so but still has a valid visa can collect unemployment. Our unemployment is more than what some of these forgein workers would make if they went home!! Why leave a country of free handouts while we short change our seniors that made this country

Last edited:
Top Bottom