how often to change oil?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I like to get my oil changed before I head out riding for the weekends. The quad, I change the oil on that about every 50 hours :d

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I like to get my oil changed before I head out riding for the weekends. The quad, I change the oil on that about every 50 hours :d

That's the best answer yet :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changed mine today, 2nd oil change for the "beast"( 2008 Honda 420ES). First one was done at 100 kms at the shop where I bought it (regular ATV oil) and this one done by me at home. Have only about 700kms on it and made the jump to syn. oil. Put in 0W40 Amsoil ATV Oil.

Does running syn. oil help any ?? More power ?? Quieter motor ?? Better shifting ?? Anything else ??

I like to look after my stuff so want to do what is best !! Thanks

both work just as well if changed on time

syn oil does not burn like standard oil so its more of a heat protection thing

regular oil has a point where it will burn / fail to work properly in a super high heat moment.

syn oil does not do that.

typically if your motor gets hot enough for regular oil to fail your going to have other problems.

but its a little more piece of mind when you cant find that creek to wash your quads rad out so you can drive it home when the heat light is on.

so in short all syn oil really does is give you another level of engine protection as it wont fail under extreme heat.

i run synthetic amsoil 0w-40 mainly because my bike starts really nice when its cold with that oil.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
both work just as well if changed on time

syn oil does not burn like standard oil so its more of a heat protection thing

regular oil has a point where it will burn / fail to work properly in a super high heat moment.

syn oil does not do that.

typically if your motor gets hot enough for regular oil to fail your going to have other problems.

but its a little more piece of mind when you cant find that creek to wash your quads rad out so you can drive it home when the heat light is on.

so in short all syn oil really does is give you another level of engine protection as it wont fail under extreme heat.

i run synthetic amsoil 0w-40 mainly because my bike starts really nice when its cold with that oil.

Synthetic will also not acidify like conventional oil. My bike gets oil changed every ride but that's a bit of a different kind of ride.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do the engine oil and front diff every 50hrs and everything else every 100hrs. always been paraniod about oil changes. beter safe than sorry.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I change my oil once to twice a year or when it gets filled with water. Sitting at 1500km and still runs perfect. I have also run amsoil synthetic since the quad had 10hrs on it. Our kodiak 450 gets an oil change about every 400-500km with amsoil as well.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look biggest thing to remember is

IF you have a wet clutch you need oil that will work with it or you will slip the clutch and burn it out.

amsoil is wet clutch comparable which is why i use it.

that said

I also broke in my motor on 0-40w amsoil synthetic when i bought my 660 Grizzly new and i put on 1500k and the motor looked perfect when i took it apart and put in my 686 cylinder " 2 different cylinders"

2nd break in i used ATV oil then switched to amsoil at 250 kms

so imho you can break a motor in with it even though some don't recommend it.

and above all regardless of what oil you use.. change it once and a while. at least 1-2x a year.

when i was breaking in i did my first change in the first 5hrs of use

then 10-15 hr
then 50h
and after that i went 200 hrs

the most crucial time to change oil is break in as the rings and cam ect leave metal flake during this time.

after that do it every year at least.

I do mine every single fall minimum - i do it every 300-500km otherwise. after break in that is. but i ride hard. i know some people that wait longer than i have and put on 10,000 km on their atvs and still ticking.

reasoning behind me doing it every fall is water + freezing i also do my difs as well at this time it gives me peace if mind that there is no water in my ATV to cause problems.

BombardierBratz

Reaction score
Bombardier recomends that you dont use synthetic in a rotax. I have a case of Amsoil 4 stroke 15-40 motorcycle oil for sale cheap. Any offers? I live in Red Deer.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bow Cycle put syn. in my 800R Renagade and it was still under warrenty for 1.5 yrs.

Top Bottom