MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I got a problem ?
i go through 2 every 50 k. ?
and Evan 2 at once ,
i put new ones in and it runs great for awhile ,
i always warm my sled up before I go ,and some times
it will fowle for a couple of secs and then continue to work fine ?
i have Evan replaced the coil packs
(2011 Polaris assualt )

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a problem. Plugs should last 2000 kms easily. You might want to check your compression.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be as simple as it running a bit rich. I've never had spark plugs last 2000 km's on any sled I've owned. Have you done any adjustments to your oil pump? I put new plugs and emptied the old fuel and put fresh gas in my assault at the beginning of the season and it ran awesome but I fouled a set after around 50 miles. Put new plugs in and have another 200 miles with no issues.. Most likely from it sitting all summer and after I rode it a bit the access oil burnt out of the cylinders. Also if you leave your sled idle for long periods of time you can foul plugs too.

what color are the tips of your plugs??

Last edited:

OLE 11

Reaction score
Are you running ngk or champion? If you are running ngk br9, change to a br8. its a hotter plug...might clean it up! Might be getting too much oil! Factory settings on oil pump are rich! I believe it is under motor...lots of fun!

orangemaddness

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 11' assault last yr. the dealership here in town changed the injectors and flashed the fuel mapping they said the problem should be fixed but i have not had time to ride it yet this yr. One question is your sled stock or have you made any changes. Mine ran fine until i put a jaws can on it and i am just wondering if that has something to do with it or if it is purely coincidence. hope to ride at christmas and find out if it is fixed or not. please post if you find a problem with yours i would love to know.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only use the NGK plugs like Polaris wants
And pumped out the old gas first thing before taking it out this year
i run she'll gold only, it smoked heavy last month when I took it out for the first time for
5 mins and then cleared up
i have been through 5 plugs since and when they come out their black as night with oil??
is there an adjustment on the oil pump ??
Other than when it fowels for a sec or a plug ,it runs like new ??

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sled is all stock except for a can I added to the-exhaust
i had it at the dealer last year twice and the last time they told me
i didn't screw the spark plug all the way in. Lol
i told them that can't be as I have been turning wrenches for almost 20 years now and
i left very mad as the problem was left for me to figure out and keeps happening ???

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never fouled a spark plug in a snowmobile. there is an adjustment on the oil pump but they come on the LOW side from factory. i have always turned my pump up a bit. I am betting you need injectors.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be getting too much oil! Factory settings on oil pump are rich! I believe it is under motor...lots of fun!

I haven't heard of any Pro's having the oil pump set too rich. Most are on the lean side.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only use the NGK plugs like Polaris wants
And pumped out the old gas first thing before taking it out this year
i run she'll gold only, it smoked heavy last month when I took it out for the first time for
5 mins and then cleared up
i have been through 5 plugs since and when they come out their black as night with oil??
is there an adjustment on the oil pump ??
Other than when it fowels for a sec or a plug ,it runs like new ??

There is definitely a problem.. I also run a 2011 Assault, I change plugs every 1000 - 1200 klm just because, have never had a fouled plug, and they are always a light brown color. I also add a little oil to the fuel tank as well!! All I can really suggest is to check/clean your pipe sensor, I use steel wool to clean mine as it can get deposits from the av gas (I usually run 50/50 av gas and Shell gold) also check your throttle cable adjustment and maybe pull your exhaust valves to see if they are gummed up, if so it may be an oil issue. Do you go through excessive amounts of oil? I don't really track my oil consumption but I seem to add 1.5 +/- litres of oil to maybe 90 - 100 litres of fuel??? I check/set my own TPS, not sure if your able to do that but other than those couple things it may be injectors, as others have mentioned... One other thing that does not get checked or changed near often enough is that very expensive fuel filter.. every time I check mine or any of my associates, they are over due changing, although it should not have anything to do with your plug fouling issue!! I hope this helps!!

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it's one of the two ??
injectors or oil pump setting
whos the best sled mechanic in Edmonton or close to ?

Top Bottom